waste of money?...

We also log on the site each night to make sure our pics are on our account. Twice (in 3 trips) we were missing a few and they were found in an hour!!! (this is key to check your account each night!)
This is a good tip! Thank you for sharing it! :thumbsup2

We've not been to WDW in 5 years and this will be our first time with MM, magic bands, Fantasyland, etc. I'm purchasing it because I'm always behind the lens, and want to actually be IN the pics for Disney World this time! :rotfl: Also, it's impossible to wheel my chair and wrangle with a camera or cell phone at the same time so most of the photos I shot were while waiting in lines and seated in restaurants.

Can't wait for Memory Maker!

I love the MM. We've had some awesome photos done over the years. The best shots come from the obscure photopass photographer in an off-the-beaten-path location. We were able to spend several minutes and got great action and fun shots from the photographer. If they're not busy usually they'll take some time that's when and where you get those "unposed" shots

I love the MM. We've had some awesome photos done over the years. The best shots come from the obscure photopass photographer in an off-the-beaten-path location. We were able to spend several minutes and got great action and fun shots from the photographer. If they're not busy usually they'll take some time that's when and where you get those "unposed" shots
Also you can ask for the "Magic Shots" We did this last time and got a few extra ones that included the typical "Hold your hands like this" type stuff (where they add tinkerbell or something else in the photo) and we also got some nice MM shots over by the new Rapunzel tower. Of course, the "Nicer" you are the more they are willing to get the perfect shot.

Insanely expensinve. Not even worth considering. We just ask the CM to use our phone and take a pic. Everybody is still in the pic and its free! #winning

Insanely expensinve. Not even worth considering. We just ask the CM to use our phone and take a pic. Everybody is still in the pic and its free! #winning

Insanely Expensive? Compared to what? A trip to Disney? :tongue:

I will admit that it is expensive. Of course as one reads through this thread, you will find that some find value while others, not so much and all have very good reasons for each.

We get it. We also "Pre-Purchase" it so it's not quite as "Insanely Expensive". Last time we had over 400 photos on our MM we also had over 2000 photos on our own camera(s) and Phones. Not all of them were great, not all of the were horrible either. It's just, for us, these memories are precious and it's a small price to pay to get great shots. (And yes, we also have the CM take pictures with our camera too). Our philosophy is that the more pictures you have, the more likely you are to have that "Perfect" picture.

Lastly, for what it's worth, those "Magic Shots" aren't always available for the "CM" to take with your camera.

Magic shots can never be taken on your camera. How would they add the magic?
From what I understand, the Magic Shots are not just when they Add Tinkerbell or Pascal (or others), but it's the Location. As an example we asked the Photographer CM at the Haunted Mansion about the "Magic Shot" and it wasn't just with a character but a location. It was where you could see Rapunzel's tower in the background. Of course you could take the picture yourself. I will also add that they did other shots where they added Pascal (from Tangled) into the shot as well.

Also you can ask for the "Magic Shots" We did this last time and got a few extra ones that included the typical "Hold your hands like this" type stuff (where they add tinkerbell or something else in the photo) and we also got some nice MM shots over by the new Rapunzel tower. Of course, the "Nicer" you are the more they are willing to get the perfect shot.

I was at WDW about the same time they started this and the opposite is also a good recommendation, ask them to NOT take magic shots. We were after some nice family, frame worthy photos at all the different parks and when we finally looked at what pictures they took we found the best shots covered with anyone can do it in a photo editor mess and we hated almost every photo. They were tossing in some "magic" without being asked too.

I was at WDW about the same time they started this and the opposite is also a good recommendation, ask them to NOT take magic shots. We were after some nice family, frame worthy photos at all the different parks and when we finally looked at what pictures they took we found the best shots covered with anyone can do it in a photo editor mess and we hated almost every photo. They were tossing in some "magic" without being asked too.
That's odd, except for those shots where we were asked to "React" a certain way (to prepare to have things done with the photo), all the other shots they edited or "enhanced" also had the original picture as well.

That's odd, except for those shots where we were asked to "React" a certain way (to prepare to have things done with the photo), all the other shots they edited or "enhanced" also had the original picture as well.

We weren't after any animated photos or that side of the "magic". maybe I'm grouping more options into what they call "magic" but we generally had all photos that you couldnt' see what was actually behind us and lots of "season greetings" and other things.. Since it was always the first photo they took which is generally when the surprise of the flash or a distraction from someone passing didn't make a great photo that wasn't marked up, we only came out with 2 photos we felt were "ok" and the great shots we wouldn't frame, it's not our style.

, we only came out with 2 photos we felt were "ok" and the great shots we wouldn't frame, it's not our style.

I think your last line sums it up. What's good for some is not for others. We (or rather mostly my DW because she is the photo nut) find value in it. That being said, we get a LOT of pictures taken at a lot of the CM's. We still have kids and they want the character interactions (ok, so the DW and I do too) of which we get pictures for albums from. We like the Ride pictures and the animated videos that get thrown in are cute too.

So for us it's a go and we have had great success. I do realize it's not for everyone though.

I think your last line sums it up. What's good for some is not for others. We (or rather mostly my DW because she is the photo nut) find value in it. That being said, we get a LOT of pictures taken at a lot of the CM's. We still have kids and they want the character interactions (ok, so the DW and I do too) of which we get pictures for albums from. We like the Ride pictures and the animated videos that get thrown in are cute too.

So for us it's a go and we have had great success. I do realize it's not for everyone though.

When we wnated it, it was great. Just the friendly advice if your not looking for it, letting the photographer know that will result in what you want.

I'm learning a lot from this thread, thank you all for sharing your experiences with Memory Maker! :thumbsup2

I hope this not too :offtopic: but we have (currently) a room only reservation so far. Do I wait to add MM when I add the rest of the package or do I add it now? Last question... will we be charged instantly for it- like room 1st night was- or will it be added to the total? Thank you so much for any advice. :flower3:

we have (currently) a room only reservation so far. Do I wait to add MM when I add the rest of the package or do I add it now? Last question... will we be charged instantly for it- like room 1st night was- or will it be added to the total? Thank you so much for any advice. :flower3:

To get the lower $169 price, you have to buy it "at least 3 days before your first photo is taken". You can buy it anytime after that at $199, including waiting to see if you even need it. By this I mean as long as the photos still appear on the website. I think it's 30 or 60 days after the photo is taken that they go away. Photographers are free to use, it's how you want to get your photos that isn't. There is some trips we lightly use the photographers and buying the pictures was cheaper. However, now that magicbands and on ride videos/photos are part of the experience, you can quickly add up if you want all the pictures.

It'll just go into the rest of your reservation and final due price. If it's closer to when you arrive at the hotel (after your final payment due) they will ask you for payment when you check in.

I actually have a question for everyone else.. How long does it last for? I happen to still see a MM I purchased last december on my plans. Will that still work/be included for my upcoming Sept trip?

Last edited:
Photographers are free to use, it's how you want to get your photos that isn't. There is some trips we lightly use the photographers and buying the pictures was cheaper. However, now that magicbands and on ride videos/photos are part of the experience, you can quickly add up if you want all the pictures.
I'm in a manual wheelchair so getting the camera out every five minutes and trying to roll didn't work great :rotfl:, and my husband just forgets to take pictures, so I think it will be a blessing in disguise this trip! :D

It'll just go into the rest of your reservation and final due price. If it's closer to when you arrive at the hotel (after your final payment due) they will ask you for payment when you check in.
Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate that information! :thumbsup2 I hope someone comes right along and answers your question as well!

We were only there for two days and I'm glad we didn't buy it. We did main,y castle shots at Magic kingdom and at epcot we did the character spot and one shot in front of the epcot entrance.

So I think for us if we can get at least one or two good group shots then that will be worth the $15 per photo. I was really hot and melting so I probably look horrible in all of them lol

I was really hot and melting so I probably look horrible in all of them lol

Memory Maker or not, I like these photos too. Why? Because they are part of the memory. Regardless whether they make it to an "Album" or to "Facebook" (my DW would kill me if I put those photos out), I still like seeing them.

I hate having every shot as a "Pose" shot or even the Perfect shot. Some of the most memorable shots are the ones that are, well, less then perfect. That's just me though. Some say I am a little out there though, so your mileage may be different. :joker:

Memory Maker or not, I like these photos too. Why? Because they are part of the memory. Regardless whether they make it to an "Album" or to "Facebook" (my DW would kill me if I put those photos out), I still like seeing them.

I hate having every shot as a "Pose" shot or even the Perfect shot. Some of the most memorable shots are the ones that are, well, less then perfect. That's just me though. Some say I am a little out there though, so your mileage may be different. :joker:

Yea I like them too - it's nice to go up to someone and just say "will you take our picture?"
I looked at our yesterday once I finally got to my computer and while I'm not sure any of them are super awesome I might purchase 1 or 2 just to have a good quality copy.

We loved it! We went with my sister's family and my mom and dad so we split the cost 3 ways. There were a total of 11 in our party. It was great have group photos done all through the week and my daughter and niece did the bibbity bobbity boutique and they took over 60 photos of the process there. We ended up with 553 photos. We still took photos throughout the park on our own but we had a lot of fun with the photopass cm. They do take a lot of candids when meeting characters also. I even had pictures taken by myself if I happened to walk by a photopass CM. :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter