Washington DC with kids - help please

laughinplace199

<font color=blue>AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs<br><
Thinking of going to DC over the summer (I know if will be hot & humid). We have three kids, DD13, DS11, & DS6.

We could drive or fly. If we fly, which airport is best? Where should we stay for easy access to attractions and museums?

Any help is appreciated! :goodvibes

It's a pretty easy drive from Boston to DC if you want to make the drive. You could stop somewhere along the way to break up the trip.

If you decide to fly, Ronald Reagan(DCA) is right on the metro and easier to access the hotel. I usually recommend Embassy Suites in Old Town Alexandria because it's a nice suites hotel with a pool and right across from the metro.

If you start looking on groupon and living social, there are some good deals on activites in the city.

Definitely Reagan (DCA). It's the easiest one to get in and out of, and it's on the metro line. Have fun in DC!

Check out the Amtrak Acela Express, which is about 6½ hours and takes you from downtown Boston to downtown DC. The timetable is Northeast Corridor #2.

It's a pretty easy drive from Boston to DC if you want to make the drive. You could stop somewhere along the way to break up the trip.

If you decide to fly, Ronald Reagan(DCA) is right on the metro and easier to access the hotel. I usually recommend Embassy Suites in Old Town Alexandria because it's a nice suites hotel with a pool and right across from the metro.

If you start looking on groupon and living social, there are some good deals on activites in the city.

I agree 100% with you. If I were to be traveling to DC I would definitely stay in Alexandria too!!

OP, DC is fun but a lot of walking too. We used to live about 15 minutes outside of DC so we would go up on the weekends. The only problems we ever encountered was on the weekends is when they do maintenance on the metro trains, when this happened they would provide bus transport, made things a bit more confusing at times but still doable.

Also, when we went to Arlington National Cemetery, it was VERY hot and humid, and there a lot of ground to cover here so bring some water.

Have Fun!!

I also love the Embassy Suites. Really nice and across the street from a Whole Foods!

We were just there with our teens. We particularly liked the Newseum and the Spy Museum.

OP, forgot to add- Stay away from Dulles!! If you fly, go DCA Raegan, its on the metro line and you can easily hop on and get somewhere!

Definitely DCA if you don't take the train.

I lived in DC for 8 years, with 3 kids, so I'm partial to staying inside the city. I'd recommend the Georgetown Suites, very reasonably priced, full kitchen, free breakfast, and great location by the waterfront, close walk to the Foggy Bottom Metro, and right in Georgetown. When we went back to visit for 2 weeks last summer we stayed there and loved it. Loved that it had a separate bedroom so the kids could sleep while we were in the kitchen/living room.

The easiest way from Boston to DC is definitely the train. If you do want to fly, DCA (reagan national) like everyone else has said. Avoid Dulles like the plague.
My family used to stay at the Hyatt Capital Hill a lot when growing up - great location.
As for activities, obviously the Smithsonians, the Capital, and the monuments. The 11 and 13 year old are probably old enough for the Holocust museum. I'd be hesitant about the 6 year old, though.
I haven't been, but I've heard the Mint is fantastic, especially for kids. And don't forget to go to the Library of Congress and the National Archives - they are national treasures that so often get overlooked.

Thank you so much, everyone!

I looked into the train, but it's more expensive than flying and takes much longer, so there's no benefit there. I detest long drives, so I'm leaning toward flying if we go.

The hardest part for me is what area to stay in since I am totally clueless. I'll look into the hotels that have been recommended so far and thanks again! :goodvibes

Here is our trip report from last May....the boys were 12 1/2 and almost 11 at the time.
The Marriott Crystal Gateway was minutes from the airport and provided free shuttle back and forth.
We also got a very good rate....we only paid $99 per night and that came with free breakfast buffet for 4!
we decided to fly and pay spend less on the hotel.
We did have a bit of a rough start though!!!!

The boys weren't that thrilled with the monument tour. They were tired by that time and really weren't that interested.

Have fun!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...weens-Washington_DC_District_of_Columbia.html

Oh...and those Delta credits are going to good use. Universal in June!

My family used to stay at the Hyatt Capital Hill a lot when growing up - great location.
Mine too....
The hardest part for me is what area to stay in since I am totally clueless.
What's important to you: quintessential DC experience or keeping to a budget?

Unless you're keeping to a budget, I'd recommend The Willard, The W Washington DC, the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill, or the JW Marriott. Very easy access to everything at these...mostly walking.

Folks on here are generally recommending places that area a metro-ride away....that's a good idea if budget is a bigger concern, but I think will take away from some of the things that make DC special.

We just got back from a long weekend. We have 2 boys and enjoyed the museums and monuments. There is so much to see and most is free.
As for where to stay, anywhere on the Metro. We stayed at Bethesda North Marriott and loved it. Metro was next door.

I recommend the Hilton Garden Inn which is on 14th St. across the street from the MchPherson Square Metro stop. I like being in the city so you can go back to the hotel during the day if I want.

When we stayed out by Dulles once we were out of the city - we were out for the night due to travel time on the metro. However, we really liked the Staybridge Suites in Herndon.

I recommend the Willard Intercontinental, Hotel Monacco, Renaissance on 9th St. and Park Hyatt on 24th St. I loved all of these but a very different price point from Hilton Garden Inn.

Fair Warning: Metro can be awful on weekends (I think a post above noted this). Stations are sometimes closed, trains are single tracked, whole lines will have sections shut-down, replaced by buses....There are weekends when none of this is going on, but then there's weekends when a normally 5 minute trip turns into an hour.

When I worked weekends I would have to take at least an extra hour to make sure I'd get where I was going on the Metro. It all depends on whether stations are shut down in the area you're going, or they are "single tracking" (running trains in each direction on the same track so they can repair the other track.)

Every weekend they are going to have some form of maintenance. They discontinued it for a couple of weeks because of the cherry blossom festival. They'll probably also suspend it for the 4th of July. But that's a Thursday, so who knows.

If you're not on either of those weekends then keep an eye on www.wmata.com to see what is closed or under construction the weekend you come, if it is a weekend. Pay special attention if you are trying to catch a flight on a weekend.

You should also be aware that "rolling closures" have been announced for the Smithsonian museums (regarding budget cuts due to sequestration). This doesn't mean they'll close the whole museum, but that they will close certain galleries on a rolling basis. This supposedly begins on May 1. It's already been reported widely (at least around here) that public tours of the White House have been discontinued. There are still tours at the Capitol. The Washingon Monument is closed indefinitely for earthquake damage repair.

You should also be aware that "rolling closures" have been announced for the Smithsonian museums (regarding budget cuts due to sequestration). This doesn't mean they'll close the whole museum, but that they will close certain galleries on a rolling basis. This supposedly begins on May 1. It's already been reported widely (at least around here) that public tours of the White House have been discontinued. There are still tours at the Capitol. The Washingon Monument is closed indefinitely for earthquake damage repair.

Thank you for that bit of info, it was helpful for me. I want to go to DC so badly however going when things are closed probably not the best idea.

We also stayed at Embassy Suites in Alexandria. It was wonderful but a little pricey. If your buget will allow I would certainly do it. Just across the street from the train. It has a great breakfast. There is a trolly that takes you to downtown as well where there is a lot of history and great eats. :thumbsup2

I also second the Embassy Suites in Alexandria. DC around the Mall shuts down at night so I don't like to stay around there. Not only is the hotel across the street from the Metro but it's also across the street from a free trolley that takes you down to the wharf with lots of stops in between. There's tons of shopping and restaurants along the way. You can also take boat tours from the wharf. We'd usually have a big breakfast (lot of variety and included in room cost) and then catch the subway into DC. We'd stay in DC until late afternoon and then head back to the hotel for an hour of down time. Then we'd catch the trolley and go to Old Town for dinner. It was lots of fun.

I also recommend Embassy Suites in Alexandria. It also has an indoor pool and hot tub plus evening snack time. Besides the free King St trolley the hotel has a free van that can take you to local places. My dd10 and I did a ghost tour in Alexandria one night which we both enjoyed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter