Washington DC visit 9first time) Memorial Day Weekend - yay or nay?

Straitlover

DIS Veteran
I'm looking to do a long weekend visit to DC for my sister and myself (original plan was Thurs - Sun, driving from the Raleigh NC area). If we went Memorial Day weekend, we could stay an extra day since Memorail Day is a paid holiday. I actually found some good prices in Alexandria/Old Town right near the metro, believe it or not! Of course, gotta add another $20/night for parking. :laughing:

For those that live there or have been during that time, is it crazy? Are the museums open that weekend? I would assume the would be closed on Monday, but we would be leaving Monday anyway. I would love to go to the PBS concert Sunday night, but I bet it's a zoo. Our main wants this first trip are the night monument tour, some of the museums, Washington Monument or White house if we can get tickets, and seeing Old Town Alexandria. If we went MD weekend, I guess Arlington Natl' Cemetary would have to wait as it would be crazy busy.

So, should we go or wait until June and just do Thur-Sun? TIA!

I live in DC. Memorial Day WE is a tough one. You will have to contend with lots of school aged kids on their senior year trips. Buses everywhere - sort of like Disney!

Also, just like Disney, if you get an early start, you can usually stay ahead of the crowds. The zoo and museums are great early, then you can tour the monuments and Capital grounds in the afternoon.

Arlington Cemetery might not be that bad if you go late in the day and avoid Monday. The only crowds build up around the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier waiting for the changing of the guard, which I believe is every half hour.

Have fun!

I was in DC for a wedding over Memorial Day weekend in 2007. It was very hot (89 on Saturday) and crowded but not unmanageable. As long as you are willing to put up with increased crowds being in DC for Memorial Day or the 4th is a good experience.

Memorial Day Weekend is not awful. It's not nearly as bad as Easter Break, Cherry Blossom Time, or July 4th. All museums will be open. The good news is that a lot of locals leave town for the beaches.

It will be crowded but not unmanageable.

I'm looking to do a long weekend visit to DC for my sister and myself (original plan was Thurs - Sun, driving from the Raleigh NC area). If we went Memorial Day weekend, we could stay an extra day since Memorail Day is a paid holiday. I actually found some good prices in Alexandria/Old Town right near the metro, believe it or not! Of course, gotta add another $20/night for parking. :laughing:

For those that live there or have been during that time, is it crazy? Are the museums open that weekend? I would assume the would be closed on Monday, but we would be leaving Monday anyway. I would love to go to the PBS concert Sunday night, but I bet it's a zoo. Our main wants this first trip are the night monument tour, some of the museums, Washington Monument or White house if we can get tickets, and seeing Old Town Alexandria. If we went MD weekend, I guess Arlington Natl' Cemetary would have to wait as it would be crazy busy.

So, should we go or wait until June and just do Thur-Sun? TIA!

The Smithsonian Museums are open during weekends and on Memorial Day.

The Smithsonian Museums website http://www.gosmithsonian.com/ can help you plan so you can get most out of your visit.

We went with our scout pack in 2008 over Memorial Day weekend. We didn't think it was bad at all. I'll find my trip report thread and link it here for you.

:goodvibes
Cristy

I live in Capitol Hill. If the weather is so-so, it will be extremely busy on Memorial Day weekend. If the weather is good, it will be extremely crazy busy on Memorial Day weekend.

That said, if you follow the other posters' advice, you should be okay. Just know going into it that there's going to be lines and crowds. The museums will all be open. The restaurants and shops will all be ready and willing to sell you stuff.

I'm abandoning the city for Memorial Day weekend. I can take only so much.

I would think it depends on how much you like/tolerate being smooshed against other crowded tourists. :crowded::crowded::crowded: Going to sites of national patiotism on Memorial Day weekend of all weekends, is not my idea of a good time. I'm one of those people who likes to go to crowded tourist spots during the OFF seasons & times.

Just an FYI, May 30th is Rolling Thunder. I will be there for that:thumbsup2.

If you don't know what Rolling Thunder is, it is practically every motorcycle in this universe, just kidding (sort of), congregating around the mall area. Rolling Thunder is an annual motorcycle rally that is held in Washington, DC during the Memorial Day weekend to call for the government's recognition and protection of Prisoners of War (POWs) and those Missing in Action (MIAs). About 400,000 veterans will roar across Washington, DC on their motorcycles as a tribute to American war heroes. So if this isn't your type of thing, you may want to avoid this date. Actually, the whole weekend!!!

Just an FYI, May 30th is Rolling Thunder. I will be there for that:thumbsup2.

If you don't know what Rolling Thunder is, it is practically every motorcycle in this universe, just kidding (sort of), congregating around the mall area. Rolling Thunder is an annual motorcycle rally that is held in Washington, DC during the Memorial Day weekend to call for the government's recognition and protection of Prisoners of War (POWs) and those Missing in Action (MIAs). About 400,000 veterans will roar across Washington, DC on their motorcycles as a tribute to American war heroes. So if this isn't your type of thing, you may want to avoid this date. Actually, the whole weekend!!!

I love watching them "roll" up interstate 95.

Which hotel did you find in Old Town?

Well, it's very close to Old Town. The Westin Alexandria (on Courthouse Square) is on Hotwire for $74/night. I am debating between it and the Residence Inn Carlyle, whihc is a block further away from Old Town but a block closer to the Eisenhower metro station. It's $84 w/ the AAA discount, but the more expensive parking at the Westin makes them about equal in price.

Well, it's very close to Old Town. The Westin Alexandria (on Courthouse Square) is on Hotwire for $74/night. I am debating between it and the Residence Inn Carlyle, whihc is a block further away from Old Town but a block closer to the Eisenhower metro station. It's $84 w/ the AAA discount, but the more expensive parking at the Westin makes them about equal in price.

We stayed at the Westin. It is a nice hotel, the rooms are spacious, they nickle and dime you to death. I would not recommend staying there. The food in the hotel is VERY expensive, no free internet (if that matters). The staff was nice and again, lovely hotel. Check to see if you can a good price at the Embassy Suites. It is right across the street from the King Street metro station, free HOT breakfast, happy hour. Even if it is $150/night, the free breakfast makes up for the cost difference. We ate breakfast at the Westin one morning, it was over $100 and it wasn't fancy. :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter