• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Washing Machines - Top Load vs Front Load

Amy

MamaGrumpy
Well, my 13-yr-old Kenmore top loader has just about had it and it's time to start looking for a replacement. I've had my heart set on a front loader - they use less water/energy, "spin" the clothes better saving on dryer time, and supposedly get clothes cleaner.

But they cost a LOT more than a top loader. Our oldest just started college this year and our youngest will go off to college in 2 years, so my piles of laundry will get a lot smaller. Will I be doing enough laundry to offset the initial expense of a front loader?

DH is an elec. engineer and has been able to replace parts on my old top loader to keep it running. He's talked to people and the man who runs the appliance store where he gets replacement parts - the consensus seems to be that front loaders have electronic controls and the controls go bad and need to be replaced, even as soon as the washer being only 2 or 3 years old. One of the guys he works with, their front loader is only 5 years old and right now they're replacing the electronic timer/control for the third time.:scared1: (They are now looking to replace their front loader with a top loader with the old-fashioned dial controls.)

So my DIS friends.....what type of washer do you have and what do you like/dislike about it?

I have a front loader, and I love it! I use less soap, it does spin a lot of the water out, and I can put in whatever fits - without worrying it being an unbalanced load.

Another vote for front loader, I have had one for 15+ years - less water, less soap, cleaner clothes that dry faster!

I have a top loader that is like a front loader.:thumbsup2 It is the GE Profiles.
No agitator in the washer and both of them are stainless interiors.

We have a Maytag Bravos.... which is a high efficiency washer, but has extra large capacity & loads from the top.
It uses less water and energy than the regular top loaders, plus we didn't have to spend an extra bundle of money for a pedestal.

I have a front loader, and I love it too for all the same reasons already mentioned ... I also find that loading/unloading clothes from the front is much easier and puts less strain on my back ...

I have the Whirlpool Cabrio which is a top loading front loader. I LOVE it HOWEVER it is really good for big loads not so much for smaller loads. Also, if you like to soak your clothes you cannot do that in the front loaders. If your kids will be off at school you may not need the larger washer. That being said, it is the best purchase I've ever made!!!!:cool1:

I love, love, love my front loader because it gets the clothes SO clean. I forgot to treat a white cotton tshirt that was covered in dried blood - it came out perfect.

I also think that my clothes hold up better. Less agitation and much less time in the drier.

I prefer having a front loader--having the pedestal underneath the set makes it a lot easier to get clothes in & out.

My set is a Maytag--the same Maytag that people have had a million problems with. I've gotten lucky so far considering I've had the set for about 6 years now. I keep waiting for the day the washer breaks down because I know it will happen. :rotfl:

I really like the LG models but GE has a new set coming out that has an automatic soap & fabric softener system, which would be really cool to have! Expensive as hell, but I'm a sucker for "techie" things. :lmao:

We have a Whirlpool Duet front loading washer. It is just under 4 years old and we just had our first issue with it... but, we were able to go online and get a good idea of what to look for to solve our problem. DH is pretty handy and if your DH is an EE then he can probably handle the repairs (at least on a Duet). They are actually fairly easy to work on and you can order parts online. I was pretty upset that we were having issues this early with such an expensive washer, but happy that it was easily solved without a repair visit.

We do use less soap, and I will assume less water although who can really tell. Our clothes are generally as clean as with a top loader and I am happy that Tide is now making their Tide w/bleach in HE formula. Our clothes last longer for sure.

I have a High Efficency top loader - it's a Fisher and Paykel. No agitator, HUGE tub. Very happy with it - you can was either HE or traditional... also have a very cool matching top load dryer - it is awesome!

I love the idea of front loaders. The water-savings aspect, etc. My husband especially loves the idea of them.

When we built our house last year, we bought a nice new shiny black LG set, with the pedestals. We haven't had any technical problems with them. They look and sound cool, too. And it is pretty easy to move clothes from one to the other as compared to the old ones.

However, I must say that as far as the laundry itself goes, I really miss my old-timey washer and dryer. They were inexpensive, and only a couple of years old. And to me the clothes seemed cleaner, and came out a LOT less wrinkly.

But oh well. I'm saving water.

Whirlpool Duet Sport....

We love them! So quiet. Haven't noticed a change in our bills (and we didn't have a washer/dryer before this set) and we LOVE the "Quick Wash" for new clothes and things

I have an LG front loader right now and unless they significantly improve, my next washer will be a top loader again. I think the front loaders were brought to market before their time. I think the Whirlpool cabrio is a new generation top loader that seems far superior.

When I did my reserch with Consumer Reports after my old top loader went "poof" (actually, it went "BANG" then it died!) i learned that the front loaders are better at cleaning clothes and use less water and energy to do so. That said, they can be double the cost of a top loader. While this time around, we bought a used top loader for $75 because we were broke (and still are, actually), had we had the money, we would have gone with the front loader.

I love my front loader, I would never buy another kind.

I have the Whirlpool Cabrio which is a top loading front loader. I LOVE it HOWEVER it is really good for big loads not so much for smaller loads. Also, if you like to soak your clothes you cannot do that in the front loaders. If your kids will be off at school you may not need the larger washer. That being said, it is the best purchase I've ever made!!!!:cool1:

Both of these issues would be a deal breaker for me, in terms of getting a front loader.

Don't you people need to soak some clothes sometimes?

And how do you wash your big comforters & blankets? I have a queen comforter that I can barely fit into the washing machine now? :confused3

I think a wash machine is like a car. We have the GE profile too and only had it 3 months and have had a service guy out twice. The senor went in the dry and they now have ordered another one and my washer had to have the water valve looked at because when they delivered it and set it up the didn't close and the water wouldn't turn off just kept running into the machine when the water was turned on.:lmao:

I also think that the clothes are more wrinked out of the dryer because of the high spin on the washer. :headache:

It takes longer to wash as well so if I want to hang my clothes out it takes all morning plus to get three loads done when with the old one it took an hour and half tops. 25 minutes per cycle before now it is 45 minutes to an hour per load.

Top loader, front loaders are known for mold issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter