Was This US Airways passenger appropriately compensated?

I know I am in the minority, but I wouldn't care about standing for 5 hours. I would be fine with the fare as compensation because after all, he did get a free flight. If a free flight meant for me to stand 5 hours, I'd take it. As long as I didn't have to stand stationary the whole time, no big deal.

The story does seem a bit..funny
Why would an experienced traveller allow the plane to push back wedged in without his seatbelt. What did he think was going to happen after the plane took off.
If we assume it is true, however, then the FA's now have to make a decision which rules they are going to break since there is no way the flight can continue or land without a safety violation. I think they should have broken the no passengers in the FA jump seat rule, it would have been safer and more comfortable for everyone involved.
Since there was no emergency they also had the option to call their superiors and get permission to take some action.

I'm not broad shouldered or hips, but I've felt cramped in the middle seat between two men in business suits. Who I wouldn't call large.

Its funny how the rest of America is adapting to the larger average person, but yet airlines keep shrinking their seats.

Airlines do NOT keep shrinking their seats!! People are just getting bigger. The width of a seat on that 757 last summer is the same width of a seat on a 757 20 years ago. All airlines flying the same model of plane have coach seats the exact same width. The width of a seat is not changeable.

If they're really shrinking their seats, where is the extra space going? They're definitely not making the aisle wider.

The pitch of the seats (distance between rows) is changeable, however. Some airlines are squeezing in an extra row or two, resulting in less leg space. The actual size of the seats stay the same though.

OK, I can think of one exception. One some widebody planes, such as 747s run by cheap charter airlines, they sometimes do put an additional seat in a row, 11 across instead of 10. But there's no way it can be done in a single aisle plane.

Jim

If it happened the way he claimed it did, I believe that he should be offered compensation equal to what he paid for the ticket. However, there are several things abou this story that bug me. If he is a frequent flyer, I'm assuming he knows the chain of command and at no point did he indicate that he tried to take it beyond the flight attendant to the pilot or gate attendant. I also find it hard to believe that he absolutlely could not buckle his seatbelt and that the crew was aware of his inability to do so. If that had been me, I would have either found a way to buckle my seatbelt, or I would have asked to be put on the next flight if nothing else could be done. (I would also be asking for some kind of compensation).

We don't know the true weight of the other guy, just what was reported by the man who was inconvenienced. It could be accurate, or it could be a gross exaggeration. I got a sketchy vibe from the article and almost wonder if the man did not try harder to resolve it or buckle his seatbelt so that he could make a point.

Airlines do NOT keep shrinking their seats!! People are just getting bigger. The width of a seat on that 757 last summer is the same width of a seat on a 757 20 years ago. All airlines flying the same model of plane have coach seats the exact same width. The width of a seat is not changeable.

If they're really shrinking their seats, where is the extra space going? They're definitely not making the aisle wider.

The pitch of the seats (distance between rows) is changeable, however. Some airlines are squeezing in an extra row or two, resulting in less leg space. The actual size of the seats stay the same though.

OK, I can think of one exception. One some widebody planes, such as 747s run by cheap charter airlines, they sometimes do put an additional seat in a row, 11 across instead of 10. But there's no way it can be done in a single aisle plane.

Jim

Learn something new every day. I just know passengers have been complaining a long time about coach seats. I'm fine with coach seats, except for when people recline. I try to be nice and not do it.

Disgusting and disgraceful.

The man should be embarrassed. He should be so embarrassed that he begins to change his lifestyle.

Aside from a full refund the carrier should be fined a few hundred thousand dollars for breaking the FAA regulations that require all passengers wear seat belts during take off and landing... that is the story they constantly drone about to everyone before a flight begins, that you "MUST" wear your seat belt. And then fire the flight attendants that failed to enforce those rules... net result would be the airline making sure it didn't happen again.

Jim
They are placing the rows closer together though aren't they? The lack of leg room does make one feel more jammed against those on the same row.

They are placing the rows closer together though aren't they? The lack of leg room does make one feel more jammed against those on the same row.

Your right. And the sad fact is the seat widths were based on the average size man from the 1950's... if you look at the reality of humans were are getting larger and not just wider, also taller. The seat sizes need to be changed and they need to give you adequate leg room too. Next time you are on a flight just try to assume the crash position they tell you about.... you can't do it. Year ago you could put your head down now you can't unless you are a contortionist because the seat in front of your seat is too darned close.

It may make it seem like you are closer to the people in the same row but seats being closer together won't actually make your seat more narrow. Our problem is that more and more of the population is over weight or obese. We as a society need to reverse that trend instead of altering our surroundings and accepting it.

It may make it seem like you are closer to the people in the same row but seats being closer together won't actually make your seat more narrow. Our problem is that more and more of the population is over weight or obese. We as a society need to reverse that trend instead of altering our surroundings and accepting it.

Yup!

Aside from a full refund the carrier should be fined a few hundred thousand dollars for breaking the FAA regulations that require all passengers wear seat belts during take off and landing... that is the story they constantly drone about to everyone before a flight begins, that you "MUST" wear your seat belt. And then fire the flight attendants that failed to enforce those rules... net result would be the airline making sure it didn't happen again.

He DID wear his seat belt during take off and landing.

He DID wear his seat belt during take off and landing.

Both articles state that the obese passenger over-flowed onto his seat and seatbelt, making it impossible to use.

daily mail said:
Mr Berkowitz added that his ordeal in July presented a safety risk because he could not use his seatbelt for take-off and landing.

cnn said:
The man was very polite and expressed regret over the situation, said Berkowitz, who notified the flight crew that he was unable to fasten his seat belt and asked if he could move to business class.

It's amazing the judgement that can come out of four words. From, "I'm your worst nightmare," it has been inferred that this man walked onto that plane with the intent of disrupting someone else's flight. That he had flown before and knowingly only booked one ticket when he knew he needed two seats, thus making him an inconsiderate "fat slob." He's also clearly rude and selfish, as he wasn't the one standing.

Huh.

Alternatively: This man boarded the plane and was horrified when he realized how small the seats were. When his seat mate came, he apologized and tried to use self deprecating humor - hence the comment. As for standing, perhaps this man had a medical reason for sitting. There are a lot of health complications that come with obesity (no matter what the cause of obesity is). Or, as we don't know the story, the airline staff figured the other passenger would be less of a disturbance standing. (And before you dismiss that idea, how much intelligence have the staff shown so far?)

His possible medical conditions do not give him the right to take what belongs to someone else. When he sat down and realized he was sitting in someone else's PAID seat as well as his own, he should have got up and left. There is no reason that justifies the obese man feeling entitled to sitting in another person's paid seat while that other person has to stand.

Both articles state that the obese passenger over-flowed onto his seat and seatbelt, making it impossible to use.

You are right. I guess when it said that he sat for take-off/landing, I just assumed it meant that he was seat belted in.

Yeah, but we can't just tell people to be shorter. I know of a few very tall very lanky guys. They're the kind of skinny that could make any girl jealous. I could see them being uncomfortable on a flight.

As much as I hate Southwest's short jumps, it is kind of nice to be able to move up or back to more comfortable rows, between stops.

Yeah, but we can't just tell people to be shorter. I know of a few very tall very lanky guys. They're the kind of skinny that could make any girl jealous. I could see them being uncomfortable on a flight.

As much as I hate Southwest's short jumps, it is kind of nice to be able to move up or back to more comfortable rows, between stops.

You can do that on any flight if there are empty seats. This was a full flight. If there is a frequent flyer, US Air will upgrade that passenger usually the day before.

His possible medical conditions do not give him the right to take what belongs to someone else. When he sat down and realized he was sitting in someone else's PAID seat as well as his own, he should have got up and left. There is no reason that justifies the obese man feeling entitled to sitting in another person's paid seat while that other person has to stand.
exactly!

Believe me, I have compassion for the obese passenger. I have flown with a close family member who is obese and have seen how embarassing it is for her to ask for a seat belt extender. I don't mind putting the arm rest up and sharing a few inches of my seat with her, but I know her and love her and don't mind being snuggled up against her. A stranger is a different story, and she realizes that. She has said that she gets a seat in business class or two coach seats when she flies alone (not often). And she doesn't even prevent her neighbor from sitting down and buckling.

But one can be compassionate and realistic at the same time. To take over another person's seat is unacceptable, and I don't understand why obesity makes it OK in some people's eyes. If a mom purchased one ticket, but strapped her infant car seat in the seat beside her when it was assigned to someone else on a full flight, would anyone think that's OK? If I brought along two small carryons and put one under the seat in front of me and one under the seat in front of my neighbor, would that be OK? I doubt it.

I know I am in the minority, but I wouldn't care about standing for 5 hours. I would be fine with the fare as compensation because after all, he did get a free flight. If a free flight meant for me to stand 5 hours, I'd take it. As long as I didn't have to stand stationary the whole time, no big deal.

He didn't get a free flight though. He paid $800, and all he got afterwards was a voucher for $200 towards a future flight. Frankly, I'd have an issue with that since it's unlikely I'd ever fly the same airline after an experience of that type.

According to this version of the story he was able to wedge himself into his seat for takeoff and landing.

I didn't think they'd have let the guy stand for takeoff and landing. Nobody is allowed to stand for takeoff and landing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter