• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Was this ungrateful? RANT WARNING! UPDATE PG 4

Tigger&Belle said:
Wow, I would have been speechless, too. What I would do is to tell her that you can give her the receipt, but first of all, you got a great bargain on the vase, and that you were speechless since you knew she liked the vase and you are a bit shocked that she wants to exchange it. I would be nice about it, but I would tell her that you didn't say anything at first because you were just too surprised at her reaction to the vase and flowers. If you do like her I wouldn't severe a possible future friendship over this, but telling her what you really think (tempered down so as not to put her on the defensive) would not be out of place.

I think this is good advice

ckay87 said:
"I threw the receipt away. I never imagined I'd need to return it."

That is perfect.

Wow that was totally rude of your neighbor. I would be so happy someone did something so nice for me.

That was SO rude!!! I wonder how she grew up, that she thinks this is acceptable behavior? No manners at all. :sad2:

VERY ungrateful! She should be thanking you. Not asking for the receipt! I don't think I'd give it to her. "Oops, sorry. I seem to have misplaced it."

Wow, I am stunned! Holy cow what a jerk she is!

I would tell her you must have thrown away the receipt because you never in a million years would believe that she would consider returning a gift that was meant as a random act of kindness.

Sheesh, who needs enemies with 'friends' like her?

you have to be very careful in approaching this. She is still your neighbor. I would give her the receipt and be done with it. If you don't want her to know how much you spent (it doesn't really matter, it was the thought that counts) just tell her you threw it out. And in the future, don't waste your time and generosity on someone like that. Good luck :crazy2:

Tea Please said:
The weird thing is I really like her. I'm not usually at a loss for words but this one has left me speechless :sad2: I'm torn between two options, do what mys husband suggested (which by the way would be a first ) :rotfl2: or give her the receipt and have great pleasure knowing she will not be able to replace for what I paid. hmm I can't decide.

For me, her response to your gift would let the air out of the tire as far as liking her goes. I think I'd just "exchange it" for her and tell her I couldn't find a larger one if she should ask. I'd be quick & chilly in the future as well.

That's one of the most ungrateful things I've ever heard of!

:earseek: :earseek: What nerve!

Ok, please let us know how you handle this-I'd just tell her that you just can't seem to find that darn receipt and then let this whole relationship fade. :teleport:

eta: oops, noticed you said you really liked her...well, maybe just give her the receipt and let it drop.

Weird! :earboy2:

Wow, not only was she very ungrateful, her response was tacky and rude! I would tell her that you're sorry she's unhappy with the vase, that you bought it because you thought she'd like it, and that you don't know what you did with the receipt. Then tell her you'd be happy to take the vase back because you could always use another one. And then never treat her to a gift again. The nerve of some people!

A Lenox vase? And flowers? Does she even realize it was a Lenox? Wow!

My first response is to say take it back and mail it to me...I would exchange a whole batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies for it!

My second response...."um...there isn't a receipt...this piece has been in the family for years".

I think the best one is about not needing the receipt because you didn't think you would be needing to return it.

Wow...this lady is some piece of work!

This woman is incredibly rude. I can't imagine asking for a receipt in this situation. It was a simple generous gesture on your part and she is being selfish.

I would probably give her the receipt and tell her, "You hurt my feelings. I guess I know now not to just buy you a gift for no reason. I've learned my lesson."

But I'm sort of blunt sometimes.

Katholyn

I know it's probably been said a million times over in this thread so far but yup it's very ungrateful and I would tell her you lost the receipt. I also wanted to say...that is so sweet of you to go out of your way to do something nice for someone else, I wish I had neighbors/friends like you! :)

Well I spoke with her last night.

The phone rings

me- Hello

she- Hey Annie, wassup?

me-Not much, Jill, just looking for the receipt for the vase ;)

she-Oh, well don't worry about it, I really do like it and I probably came off sounding like a spoiled brat

me-yep, you sure did. I was really insulted I'll have you know.

she-I'm sure you were, I really wasn't thinking straight, I love it and I really want to thank you. I was calling to apologize and to invite you guys over for dinner this weekend.

me-pause well what are you making? :rotfl:

she-whatever you want

me-hows about steaks on the grill?

she- sounds great

me- can I bring dessert

she- no way, you've done enough

me- Jill, ya know what, sometimes you are a real pain in the ****, but I can't help but liking you.

she- good night annie, love ya.

Well, I guess I'm over it. My husband chalks it up to her being socially
retarded, but he had a great idea for a hostess gift, I'm going to the dollar store to look for a "big" vase :rotfl2:

Glad it all worked out, and I think the "big vase" idea would be a funny one.

I love it when things have a way of working themselves out. And I love your gift idea.

That was great. You both handled it very well! Good for her for admitting she was wrong. (Good for you for asking for steaks :rotfl2: )

I loved your conversation and good for you for not being a weinie! :teeth:

Sounds like you were open and she realized that she didn't handle it well. What more can you ask for? Besides a good dinner... ;)

T&B

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter