• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Was the Caribbean Beach supposed to be deluxe?

LionQueen1978

Earning My Ears
Does anyone feel that the CBR (which is moderate) is "kind of moderate, kind of deluxe?" While the rooms are moderate rooms (cute, though nothing special), the pool just might be one of my favorite pools anywhere! It's themed after Puerto Rico's El Morro fort, and it's huge and beautiful. The pool seems to be worthy of a deluxe resort. I'm under the vague impression that Disney designed the pool intending for the CBR to be a deluxe resort and then, after designing the pool, decided to build moderate guest buildings. Was this by any chance what happened? Does anyone have any insight on this resort's history? I am looking forward to my second stay there in September.

It was originally designed to be a more reasonably priced option than the Poly and Contemporary. And a more upscale option than Ft. Wilderness. That's why CBR has bigger rooms than the other Moderates at 340 sq. ft.

At the time they didn't have Deluxe, Moderate and Value.

CBR is our favorite Moderate by far and think they did a great job with it.

Last edited:
When they opened this I was very excited. It was well themed and an alternate lower price to Monorail resorts. It just exploded after that in the nineties.

CBR was developed prior to the concept of WDW resort categories, this is one of the main reasons why it is somewhat different from the other newer moderate resorts which were built after the concept of a WDW moderate resort had been established.

It is a very nice resort, almost upscale, and I like that fact that you don't feel like you are on top of everyone there.

I've only explored the monorail resorts. Soooo gonna have to make time to get over to POR after reading so much about it (but looking forward to first stay at CBR)

It was originally designed to be a more reasonably priced option than the Poly and Contemporary. And a more upscale option than Ft. Wilderness. That's why CBR has bigger rooms than the other Moderates at 340 sq. ft.

At the time they didn't have Deluxe, Moderate and Value.

CBR is our favorite Moderate by far and think they did a great job with it.

This is very interesting, thanks for sharing :). We loved our stay at CBR and wouldn't hesitate to return.

I think Old Port Royale is very "unique" also.:)

I agree ::yes::.

CBR was developed prior to the concept of WDW resort categories, this is one of the main reasons why it is somewhat different from the other newer moderate resorts which were built after the concept of a WDW moderate resort had been established.

I never really thought about it, but you're right. CBR is somewhat different from the others and sort of stands out from the rest of the mods, IMO ;).

It is a very nice resort, almost upscale, and I like that fact that you don't feel like you are on top of everyone there.

I agree. Some people don't like how big and spread out it is, but that's one of the things we loved about it :goodvibes.

I stayed at CBR about 15 years ago and have since stayed at a Deluxe (BC) and a value (POP). I really enjoyed my stay at CBR and liked the large, spread out aspect of the resort. I may consider this one again. Thanks for the history!

I think the same thing about POR. It is like a mini-deluxe to me without spending the insane amount of money. CBR is a beautiful resort also.

Caribbean was built and designed to attract guests who were not looking for deluxe rooms/prices - it was Disney's first low cost hotel option. I think the rooms are larger simply because they were comparable to hotel room sizes at the time. After they probably just decided they could replicate the same room with less square footage. The pool is not how it was built originally. If you go back and look at the old pool pictures you will see they did major changes to it, adding to it considerably. CBR's pool is much better than POR or POFQ because it is newer (except pool hopping is allowed so you get two themed pools) but it's CSR that has the deluxe pool with theme and many amenities within steps. CBR became a "moderate" when they built more, and our opinion is they got it better and better with each moderate built after that. They learned what worked and what didn't and footprint is one of them. CBR is the largest moderate and the only one with no elevators, an interior bus system, front desk removed from resort and no queens until 2015. While CBR has a table service over POFQ, POFQ has way more dining easily accessible with POR and the boat to DTD. CSR is the only deluxe moderate with it's suites, business class, fitness center, spa, salon, more dining options than most deluxe and a business center. The CBR room renovation is the best thing to ever happen to the resort because it had become the moderate used for large group bookings, always with availability and rooms were also less expensive than the other moderates when we would book. Hopefully the new rooms will help give the resort more love but I still wouldn't call it deluxe moderate because that classification comes with amenities not theme.

In what way is it different from the other moderate resorts?

I think Old Port Royale is very "unique" also.:)

In what way is it unique?

You guys are making me even more excited for our first stay at CBR this Nov. :woohoo: I love learning the stories & history behind Disney things, never thought to read up on the resort!

Havent been to CBR in a while. We are very excited to go back with kids this time. We Love Love, Love the theming. We stayed at POR and enjoyed how it was spread out. There were times where I sat on a bench with a cigar and cocktail after kids were asleep and felt like I had the place to myself. Hoping this repeats itself at CBR.... November cant come quick enough.......

You guys are making me even more excited for our first stay at CBR this Nov. :woohoo: I love learning the stories & history behind Disney things, never thought to read up on the resort!

We are going to be there the same time as you. My other CBR stay was over 2 decades ago. Like others have said CBR was built to be a lower cost hotel at the time. It was the first of that category built. On our stay then our room cost was a little less per night than our discounted room at POP next week.

We are headed to CBR in fifteen days. I didn't realize the rooms were bigger than POR. This is good news since we are cramming six people in there (one of them is a two year old so it's allowed). It's a quick trip including the 24 hour event so we will really only be sleeping in the room two nights. So the space isn't a huge issue but knowing we have a little more space is good news!

wasn't the pool area re-done a number of years ago? all the resort "island" buildings and quiet pools were certainly already in place but have had some interior rehabs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter