Was OKW the right one?

tinkerbee

"Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And
I planned our next Disney vacation back in August right after our last one. This time we thought why not spread the Disney magic and bring down family. So now for our April trip it will be me, df, his parents, his sister and her two children 7and9. Here is the thing I'm kicking myself over because I can't tell myself I did the right thing.
We are leaving Ohio on April 11. I won't fly so we have to drive. The first time I booked our vacation we were going to stay at BV in two studios for 6 nights and then off property for 2 more nights because his parents could get us free rooms at any Holiday Inn. I have never stayed at BV and really enjoy the boardwalk and how close it is to Epcot. But then his parents deceided that they don't want to spend alot of time in the parks and would rather just stay at the resort(this is their first time on any vacation other than work in 15 years). So because of that df talked me into getting a 2 bedroom at OKW which we stayed at on our Ausgust vaction(We didn't have enough points for a 2 bedroom at BV). I really wanted to make sure the kids had a fun time but I don't know the OKW is the right place for them because I don't think I saw anyone under 16 when we were there in August. The main pool is nothing to brag about. Did I do the right thing?

My son loves the pool at OKW. Of course he is only 6.. If space is a top priority for your group, then I would say you made the right decision. Of course I am biased OKW is my home resort and I have yet to have any desire to stay anywhere else (in the DVC family.)

There's a little thing called self fufilling prophesy. You need to go into the vacation believing you have done the right thing and it will turn out to be the right thing. My goodness, your in WDW, all the Disney hotels moderate and above are wonderful, you'll have a great time! Look outside your window and take a look at the weather your leaving? Sunshine, WDW activities, nice pools? You'll have a blast.

I love both resorts, but for different reasons. My DD is 16 & my DS is 6, and they both like OKW (and BWV). The pool may not have a slide, but it does have the hot tub & sauna. DS thinks the playground is great, don't forget about the basketball and shuffleboard, and make sure to check out the kids schedule for the fun around the main pool. I find that at OKW, we tend to do more around the resort & don't feel compelled to head to the parks. At BWV, we tend to do things at the parks and the other EPCOT resorts, not just BW. I don't think you made a mistake!

My DDs are 10 and 6 and they both love the pool at OKW. They love any pool actually! We only go to the parks 2 days of our trip and the rest of the time is spent goofing off. You could also pool hop to BW, WL or any other pool that isn't off limits just for variety. We also pool hopped to BWV last year and the kids thought the slide there was great. The vacation will be what you make of it. Go have a good time and I'm sure the kids will have a great time too.

Just relax and enjoy yourself at OKW, after you see the size of the 2BR you may never go back to the BWV's.;)

We own at BWV & WLV but OKW is the favorite for the space. My girls aren't picky about the pool, they like the slides but don't complain when there isn't one. They've been in many of the pools at OKW.

If you want a different pool use the pool hop option or go to a water park, the pool closest will probably be just fine for quick swim trips to cool off & relax.

Given the choice I'd rather have the space. I'm planning a trip that will include extended family and my first choice is OKW for added space.

My kids are around the ages of the kids you are bringing and my kids love to swim at OKW. They actually enjoy pool time as much as the parks (and we have a pool in our backyard, so it is not a novilty). If you are worried, pool hop. There are still lots of pools other that SAB that the kids would like.

I think because of the size of your group and also because of the parents who want to relax around the resort, you are better off at OKW. First of all you will have more room and for the parents that want to spend a lot of time at the resort, OKW will be very relaxing. As for the kids, I agree, the pools at OKW are less than exciting, but as others have said you can pool hop and have the added bonus of experiencing other resorts as well! If you have a ca, pool hopping can easily be worked around which ever park you are at. The Poly, WL and GF pools are great when you are in the MK area, Luna Park has a slide that appears greatly to the 7-12 yo for when you are in the Epcot/MGM areas, plus the water parks, etc. All the pools have nice changing areas so you can visit the park in the AM, pool hop, have lunch and spend the afternoon at one of the resort's pools and then go back to OKW rest and get ready for your evening plans. OKW will definitely not be as convenient to get around to the parks, restaurants etc as BCV would have been, nor will the kids have access to SAB, but the additional room for your group and the very relaxing atmosphere for the parents, are definite plusses for OKW. Have a great trip!!:D

Thank you all so much I feel better now!! I know that we will have a wonderful time. But can we pool hop because we are going the week before easter and every where I have read it says that there is no pool hopping during that time.

Since tinkerbee is visiting the week before Easter, pool hopping will not be allowed. April 12 - 20, 2003 are "blacked out" for pool hopping.

Tinkerbee - IMHO, you will be glad of the extra space at OKW and if the OKW pools don't do it for the kids, you can always take them to a water park!

Enjoy yourselves!

We have been members since 94 and the kids have gone every other year and they love OKW.

With that many people in the party it will be great to have the extra space in the OKW 2 bedroom.

In August 2004 my extended family (9 of us) will be in an OKW 2 bedroom so my nephews can make their first WDW visit (it's my 40th birthday, too). We are planning on taking them to Typhoon Lagoon, where they'll get their fill of waterslides - my oldest nephew will be big enough to ride all of them by then! (He is busy saving up money in 2 coin banks to go to Disney World.) So they shouldn't miss having a slide at the resort pool. They'll enjoy the playground and games, too, and the boat ride to DD where they can play at the Lego store and the playgrounds there. And I won't be using up all my points on this one trip, so OKW is the place!

Old Key West is my second choice for a resort to stay at if avoiding the parks. But that's because I like Bay Lake and the access to Fort Wilderness from VWL.

Okay the pool(s) don't have slides...so if you want to slide you'll have to make a special trip somewhere. But! OKW can't be beat for access to DTD...plus it has a marina (no power boats), a golf course...and its own hiking trails I didn't get a chance to find. For just plain old "settin' by the pool"...I think the main pool is wonderful...close access to a variety of food & activity if you get bored with your chaise.

As for the child aspect...you didn't say when you were there in August. Southern schools go back in August & Northern schools in September so occupancy in the parks in general drops off quite a bit in the latter part of August. Going at Easter I think the kids will find plenty of friends at the pool.

If you have a car things get better still with easy access to DTD, the outlets just across I-4 and The Spa at the Institute.

My suggestion is that you investigate what there is to do at Disney without going into a park. With the exception of "the Boardwalk" and monorail hotel hopping I think you will find OKW tops the list for ease of access to most items. The reason you want to do that is to give your non-park people some ideas of what they can do and you might find there are somethings you want to do as well. Your DVC discount(s) is a good starting place for this sort of thing.

What is teh phrase Hakuna Mattata - Chunky Tuna Tostata some thing like that - Don't Worry Be Happy.

It will be cool where ever you choose.

don't forget about the basketball and shuffleboard
Or the Tennis Courts!

And when you're all at 'home' for the night, watching TV, visiting, or having dinner, you'll really appreciate the roominess of the OKW living room area.

Have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter