Was NOT happy with Pop Century

ClaraBug

DIS Veteran
Dh and I had decided to stay at the Pop for our girls 1st Disney Trip. Our thinking was we needed some place to sleep and shower and we could not justify paying for a moderate or deluxe hotel when we get the same Disney "Caliber" Service at a value resort.

I will NEVER make that assumption again.

First problem - check-in
You have to stand in a line in front of a long counter, okay no big deal there, but there are at eight cast members doing check-in and they simply want to move you along. I did not get a "magical" feeling like at the other resorts we have stayed at.

Second - we asked for connecting rooms with the grandparents.
We were not even located in the same section let alone building. So we had to rearrange rooms to at least be in the same building. We were still a floor apart. The cast member said that the buildings were full and left it at that.

Third - We did a preferred room. Thinking we would have a frig or something...WRONG. Preferred basically means you look at the pool or the giant toys. I paid $10 extra dollars each night to look at a giant foose ball set. Granted it was cute but I could have used that $70 somewhere else. No frig or nothing. You do NOT want to stay facing the pool. The life guards are only there between 10AM - 11pm but the pool opens at 7am and is suppose to close at midnight. It was obvious that people did not read the rules.

The beds are only fulls and they were okay. We were exhausted at night, I could have slept on bricks and not cared. The mattresses are firm, DH loves firm mattresses and the only thing he DID like was the mattresses.

No towel animals, but nothing big to me. We called house keeping for a tube of toothpaste (we forgot), they said someone would be right up and they never showed. DH went down to the gift shop and paid $2 for a travel tube! :mad:

The walls are thin. We could hear our neighbors especially in the bathroom. You could hear whenever someone ran water/flushed/ etc...

We were very disappointed with the Pop and will never stay at a Disney Value Resort again. Maybe we were expecting too much but buyer beware....You get what you pay for! or what you don't pay for! :mad:

Sorry Pop was not to your liking. That's the great thing about Disney, there's loads of different resorts to meet everyone's tastes and preferences.

FWIW I stayed at Pop last November, on a solo trip. I also paid for a preferred room, because as a single woman travelling alone, I felt safer being in the middle of everything. I thought the pool noise would be a huge issue, but I found once I closed my door, I really did not hear much of anything at all.

Long checkin lines could have happened anywhere, and if they were super busy, I'm sure they were trying to get through the lines as quickly as possible.

I think all the preferred rooms are location or view based only, I don't think that designation gets you any extra ammenities.

I hope you and your family were still able to have a great trip!

so sorry you didn't like Pop.

If you would asked here - someone would have explained that preferred at the value just means you are closer to the food court and bus stops than standard view.

Disney use to say if you were traveling with minor children and the second room for them - they would guaranteed it. Now this only happens when a single parent is traveling with his or her children.

they had to many request for connecting rooms. So they only guaranteed them now to people who really need them.

besides one person with 3 or more kids - okay I don't want to be next door to them.

all the WDW resorts can be loud. You got a really bad room - I hate the swimming pool views they can be loud.

if you had gotten a standard room looking at the lake in the 50's section you might have enjoyed Pop more. for the toliet you need to close the door at night. It helps some.

Sorry you didn't enjoy POP, it sounds like you were wanting a more deluxe experience. The value resorts are not for everyone.

Connecting rooms are never guaranteed except when children will be occupying the room next to the parents. If the resort was full, it was full. Did you expect them to relocate people for your convenience?

Value resorts have full beds. Not sure where you got the idea they would be queens.

Preferred means closer to the lobby and bus stop. not sure where you got the idea you would get a fridge.

In all honesty it sounds to me like you simply didn't do your homework and are now angry with the resort as a result. It's unfortunate that you were disappointed, hopefully next time you'll do a little more research before you book to ensure a resort that's closer to your wants and needs.

Anne

Sorry you didn't like Pop. We are trying it for a 2nd time this Sept. We liked some, but not everything about it. You probably know though that long and even unfriendly check-ins can happen at any resort. We experienced not so great check-ins at POR and AKL.

Sounds like the Value resorts are just not for you. With as many posts as you have, I am supprised that you didn't know about the beds. Many people have the same complaint about Disney beds. You don't get big beds unless you go for a deluxe hotel.

Also, connecting rooms are not guaranteed. And going during the busy season, you chance of getting them are even less. I am suprised they didn't at least have you on the same floor. :confused: But if the resort is full, then that couldn't be helped either. It is not like they could ask someone else to move.

And a preferred room just means either on with a water view, or one closer to the main building. It has nothing to do with what amenities are in your room. Fridges are only standard at moderate and deluxe resorts.

As I said, it sounds like these things are important to you. While connecting rooms are just luck of the draw, the other things can be helped by either staying at a deluxe or moderate resort.

Hey!

Well, speaking as a person for whom a more expensive hotel is not an option,
the POP is alot more magic than you'd find at the local Holiday Inn for the same , or less,money.

The kids find the large icons to shout FUN! The pop-jet play area is a fun touch.

We always found the public areas to be remarkably clean. We all enjoyed the foodcourt and we were pleased with the selection. At check-in, we never
felt like the CM was trying to brush-off or hurray through our questions.

It is not unusual for lesser priced hotels to not offer extras like toothpaste, etc.

Having stayed at Best Western hotels, etc. , were there were plumbing woes, I admit I appreciate the jet-powered toilets!
Never any doubt that its all going down!:thumbsup2

I'm sorry that your stay was a disappointment for you but I wanted to defend our favorite hotel! I doubt we could get more magic per $ anywhere! Maybe someday our ship will come in and we'll stay at one of the deluxe
hotels and wonder how we could've loved the POP so much!-or maybe not!

Julie:)

Dh and I had decided to stay at the Pop for our girls 1st Disney Trip. Our thinking was we needed some place to sleep and shower and we could not justify paying for a moderate or deluxe hotel when we get the same Disney "Caliber" Service at a value resort.

I will NEVER make that assumption again.

First problem - check-in
You have to stand in a line in front of a long counter, okay no big deal there, but there are at eight cast members doing check-in and they simply want to move you along. I did not get a "magical" feeling like at the other resorts we have stayed at.

Second - we asked for connecting rooms with the grandparents.
We were not even located in the same section let alone building. So we had to rearrange rooms to at least be in the same building. We were still a floor apart. The cast member said that the buildings were full and left it at that.

Third - We did a preferred room. Thinking we would have a frig or something...WRONG. Preferred basically means you look at the pool or the giant toys. I paid $10 extra dollars each night to look at a giant foose ball set. Granted it was cute but I could have used that $70 somewhere else. No frig or nothing. You do NOT want to stay facing the pool. The life guards are only there between 10AM - 11pm but the pool opens at 7am and is suppose to close at midnight. It was obvious that people did not read the rules.

The beds are only fulls and they were okay. We were exhausted at night, I could have slept on bricks and not cared. The mattresses are firm, DH loves firm mattresses and the only thing he DID like was the mattresses.

No towel animals, but nothing big to me. We called house keeping for a tube of toothpaste (we forgot), they said someone would be right up and they never showed. DH went down to the gift shop and paid $2 for a travel tube! :mad:

The walls are thin. We could hear our neighbors especially in the bathroom. You could hear whenever someone ran water/flushed/ etc...

We were very disappointed with the Pop and will never stay at a Disney Value Resort again. Maybe we were expecting too much but buyer beware....You get what you pay for! or what you don't pay for! :mad:

Sorry you had such a horrible experience! :sad2:
But if I can, I will try to explain why some things might have been...(all in response to your # 1's 2's 3's...etc... :)

1) it's the busiest season for Disney right now and I'm sure there was a wait to check in at every resort
2)Connecting rooms are not guarenteed, even at deluxe resorts. It's just a request and again it being busy season, they can't always be accomodating.3) a preferred room is a room close to the lobby/food. That's all.
4) The beds are only fulls in the moderates and I think in the deluxes too. You have to pay for the King bed. Even though they say 'queen', I really don't think those beds are queens. Last year at CSR, me and DH were like "there's no way these are queen beds"
I myself would never stay at a value resort, but that's just me. I love the theming of the moderates and deluxes and like to spend alot of time at the hotel. Big statues of things don't appeal to me.
Hope you have a better time next time! DON'T GIVE UP ON DISNEY!!!

The values are not for everyone. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. DH and I stayed value one time back in 1995 at all star music before we had kids. We wouldn't stay value again if you paid US to stay there. The double beds, the tiny rooms, the lack of full-service dining, the remote locations...ugh, the list goes on and on.

On the other hand we have friends with 1 child that love POP. They stay there every year. Every year DH trys to convince them to stay at an Epcot resort. They like POP, go figure. :goodvibes

We called house keeping for a tube of toothpaste (we forgot), they said someone would be right up and they never showed. DH went down to the gift shop and paid $2 for a travel tube! :mad:

Most hotels don't offer toothpaste. Were you thinking that the toothpaste woudl come with the shampoo, conditioner, and hand lotion?

I have found that Pop can be loud...luckily on our recent trip, we had 1/2 the family on one side of us and really quiet people on the other side. Whew! However, we have stayed there and not been so fortunate in that area.

As far as the issue of your rooms (different floors, not connecting), I understand that nothing is *guaranteed,* but that just really stinks! I guess I should consider myself lucky that we've always gotten connecting w/out a problem...NOT having them just isn't an option for us:sad2: ...<knock on wood>

I waited for like 30 minutes or more this July to check in at the Boardwalk so evan the deluxes can have big checkin lines.

The beds are only fulls in the moderates and I think in the deluxes too. You have to pay for the King bed. Even though they say 'queen', I really don't think those beds are queens. Last year at CSR, me and DH were like "there's no way these are queen beds"

Values and moderates have fulls, not queens, so at CSR they would be fulls. To get queens, you have to stay in the deluxe resorts. (Kings vary - in some they are handicapped, some you pay for a king, some are request)

To the OP, I'm sorry you had a rough experience. You find people on this board who have had similar experiences with values like what you had. Then you find others who love the values and will defend them to no end. Disney resorts have one thing in common, they have many pros and cons to them and inspire a range of emotions from the people who stayed there.

I won't be harsh on you and please take this as advice, not an attack or anything. I hope your recent rip won't be your last and you research your next accomodations more thoroughly. I would never stay at a value resort not because it's a value based, but for several reasons. I have now been to Disney 5 times since 02 and my wife and I decided we won't go any where else than the Poly. Our recent experiences on our 7 day trip to WDW confirmed it.

Room size and 2 queen beds are a must for us.

Location to MK and the monorail and the ferry to MK is a must.

The ability to come back to the calm and soothing feel of the Poly is big must.

In my 7 days touring the parks and going to both water parks, I never was able to get a seat. The buses were jammed full of people and I was never so glad in my life, not to have to rely on them as my sole source of transportation. I made sure if I was able to secure a seat, I gave it up to any woman or children standing. I was kind of sad to see many men did not offer the same courtesy like I did. I'm actually thing about renting a car next time and bypassing the bus service. I can determine when I want to come and go and not rely on any bus.

As for the rooms at the value, I'm not going to bunk with one of my kids on my vacation. My wife and I need a queen size bed minimum and wouldn't do in a full or twin size bed. We would each have to sleep with one of our kids and I'm not sharing a bed with my 10 year old boys. The values might be fun for some, but can be too hectic for me and I need to relax after spending all day in the parks. All Disney resorts suffer from loud people and kids, it's WDW after all and has to be expected. You're going to find it a lot more at the values like Pop, etc, because the cost is more acceptable to a lot more families and easier for large groups like the Cheer leading competitions, etc. You have to take that into account.

A lot of people tease me about my going to WDW all the time and ask why I pick and how do I afford the Poly? Trust me, I don't like paying the room rates and I'm not a snob, but when you add everything up, it makes the vacation that more pleasant and we don't have the experiences you had. There's a lot of hidden value to a Disney resort like the Polynesian that you don't see by just looking at the price. You should always list your needs, wants, and expectations when determining a Disney resort and go from there. Don't let the price make your choice. Do your homework and look into everything, twice! Remember the vacation you save, may be your own.

Sorry for your experience and hope your next trip goes better.

Most hotels don't offer toothpaste. Were you thinking that the toothpaste woudl come with the shampoo, conditioner, and hand lotion?

I think the main complaint was probably that the CM said they would be right up and didnt show.... Just a guess though.

One of the things you might want to consider the next time you vacation is research what you are actually paying for. I would never pay extra money without knowing what I would get. If you wanted, you could have requested a fridge and paid $10 a night to have it at a non-preferred section. Preferred is for those who want to be closer to the main building, not to get special perks like towel animals, etc.

I'd listen to the advice already posted in the other replies before booking again. You need to know what you are paying for and what you want when you vacation.

pop is not a good resort at all..the noise from the next room is unreal..you can hear everyting going on...it likr paper tin..its huge ..way too big for a nice resort feeling..iv stayed there 3 times and im staying there in sept,,and not really looking foreward to it..i prefer allstars..but i just go with the wife and she want to stay threre agian...it time away...form home..but just not a resort feeling there..we go to diney 3 to 4 times a year and i look forward to sports resort..smaller ..cozier..3 floors not 4 and smaller food court no wait at all.

So I've heard from several people (including several CMs) the beds at the mods are not really the size of queen beds, but are slightly bigger than standard full size. (They are a few inches longer.)
Makes sense--tall DH and I fit comfortably in a mod bed, but have to sleep in separate beds at values.:confused3

Anyway, just what I've heard...and experienced first hand. Take if for what you will.

Sounds like you'd be much happier in a Mod or higher. Nothing wrong with that, I wish I could afford a Mod or higher but can't. For the price, I love the All Stars and Pop. If it weren't for them, I'd stay off site at a hotel with transportation, theme, food court (not fine dinning but substantial) etc.

As far as the room noise, I agree! The budget resorts have loud plumbing. Metal piping instead of PVC, and a bit more insulation would have certainly helped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter