Was Magic Kingdom closed due to capacity July 4?

gm

DIS Veteran
Hi, I am just wondering if they closed MK during the day due to maximum capacity on July 4th? :wave2:

I read on another board that it did not close, but there was restricted access due to capacity for several hours. The good news is that AP holders and WDW resort guests can always get in as long as the park is not officially closed. Maggie

Yes it was at a level of closure yesterday. When you got to the gates they were turning cars around. At Epcot they were checking your tickets if you wanted to ride the monorail. Only resort guests and AP holders were allowed to proceed.

We were talking to a day guest at MGM on the 4th who said that they were turned away at MK, but given a "packet". In it was a pass for free parking and coupons for 50% off their food. I'd have liked that coupon! :rotfl:

my father is security at MK, no one was turned away and the park was not closed to guests

I was there at MK and I saw many people turned away when you came into the parking lot. They had closed off the lot and had people turning around.

I was given a special piece of paper to be allowed in. The CM told not to even attempt to get in the park.

We were in the Emporium at MK on the 4th. A lady (working for Disney) walked quickly through the Emporium telling several employees,"That the MK gates were closed. They reached 78,000." That was at 2:20pm.

That's all we heard.

While waiting for Fantasy In The Sky, the man next to us said that he had been at Epcot earlier in the day and couldn't get to the MK until early evening because " the gates were closed". I don't know if he was an AP holder and a Disney resort guest.

UGH! I would of thanked them for turning me away! Can you imagine the CROWD????? the LINES??????

I was at MGM on the 4th and a CM said that MK was closed.

The MK was in fact closed as my mom and wife were initially being turned away on their way driving into the parking lot to pick up the dog at the kennel.

I have a neighbor who visited on the 5th, and she said that they visited all four parks in one day, and never hit a big crowd anywhere. She said that they were walking right onto rides!! :cool1:

Note to self: "Avoid Disney July 4th - Rush to Disney July 5th"

safetymom said:
Yes it was at a level of closure yesterday. When you got to the gates they were turning cars around. At Epcot they were checking your tickets if you wanted to ride the monorail. Only resort guests and AP holders were allowed to proceed.
and
Firegoalie23 said:
my father is security at MK, no one was turned away and the park was not closed to guests
That would mean that, if you could get to TTC if not MK proper, then you would be admitted to MK. Most day guests would be excluded because the Epcot monorail and driving oneself are the primary ways day guests arrive. I guess this is a Level 1 (out of four) closure condition.

Sometimes guests driving to MK are turned around but MK is still allowing day guests in, just that the lot is full and Epcot's lot is being used as overflow parking.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

:crowded: That sounds crowded. We went on the 4th about 10 years ago. Spent the day at the Contemporary pool. You couldn't even move in MK.

I am happy we are getting a AP because we are going 3 times.2 this year and 1 next year and most of it will be off site.
:banana:

Do you think this could happen Labor Day weekend? What time did they close MK on the 4th? We're staying on site and have PS reservations so I guess they would let us in but we wouldn't be able to go on any rides! :guilty:

Thanks to disboards, we knew not to attempt the park. We spent the day at Blizzard Beach, which was relatively quiet. I did make PS for O'Hana's, and my husband did not understand my desire to get there well before our 8:20 timeslot. We left the Doubletree at 7:00 and we did not get through the gates until 7:40, because the lot was full. There was a sign stating MK was full before you got there, but everyone still had to go to the attendant, and some took a long time (I guess either begging or arguing!). The attentendant started to say sorry, but then I quickly blurted out our priority seating and he said that made it our lucky day! It still took us until 7:15 to get near (not in!) the entrance to the Poly parking lot since that was the same road all the people who could not get in had to take to leave the area. I got out and walked in to make sure we did not lose our timeslot. Apparently my husband was using some not so Disney words when he got up to the gate and found out that the parking lot was full and he had to use valet parking! Disney did pay for it. The family loved the restaurant, and we could see the fireworks from our table even though it was in the back of the room. We were going to walk the beach, but an electrical storm started and the lifeguards cleared the whole beach and pool area.

I am so glad I spent so much time getting info on the disboards or we would have been in trouble! Thanks to all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter