Was Disney your first cruise? Did you cruise others? Do you only cruise Disney now??

edk35

DIS Veteran
I have always heard that Disney are the absolute best cruises. I know I LOVE DISNEY. We are DVC members and you can tell my signature we are obsessed with WDW and yet we have never cruised on a Disney ship or any ship for that matter. I am just curious if others on here ONLY cruise Disney or do you do others too?? THANKS

I only cruise DCL (going on my 4th cruise on 3/10) and have never tried others. I guess I'm hooked! :lmao: I'm a true Disney love, having been to WDW 41 times, so I guess that's part of it. I have considered trying RCI Oasis, but it's a lot less to sail on the 3 day Disney cruise than the 7 day RCI on the Oasis ;)

our first cruise ever was our honeymoon on the wonder and we leave on saturday on the magic.. can't wait. everyone told ud to book disney beacasude you are spoiled and compare everything to the mouse. pirate:

We cruised RCCL on our first cruise and LOVED it - at the time, it was just myself and my DH and we cruised with my sis and bil. Our next cruise was with Carnival when our DS was 2 and hated it...services that we were told would be available for children were not available, etc. Very disappointing customer service. Our 3rd cruise was on the Disney Wonder last year...DS was 6...LOVED it!! Everything was just as promised and better. We are going on the Disney Dream in July for a 5 night double-dip and can't wait!! We have not taken DS to WDW as of yet though...must get to planning that trip! I so dread all the walking involved!

We planned our wedding date around the Wonder's arrival in LA. Our honeymoon was our first cruise and I am definitely hooked. I have tried reading up on other lines and with the exception of the NCL Courtyard Villas, nothing even remotely piques my interest. Silver Seas has a cruise around the world that we'd like to do in 20-30 years (only 3.5 months at sea and $65,000!), but we're not tied to the line in the least. Our dream trip is a Baltic cruise -- very upset we could not afford the DCL ones last year -- and I hold out hope that we'll get another chance before having to give in and sail on a different line.

For us it was disney all the way ,we have done 3 cruises with disney and don't won't to cruise with any body else .

This will be our 4th Disney Cruise. We have cruised with three others but there is really nothing like Disney. We do like RCCL for the service and other people on board but they can't match activities and the ships. When I asked the family which cruise no one hesitated when I gave them the option of Disney to pick it, even by 16 year old son.

In 2002 when DH gave me a box of cruise brochures for Christmas I looked at everything there. With the kids 2 & 4 Disney seemed like the best option for our family. Our first cruise was when they were 3 & 5 and we have stuck with DCL since. They are now 10 & 12 and we have not started looking at other lines yet. We still enjoy cruising with the friends we have made onboard & on the DIS. I am looking forward to the day when we can go on a DCL cruise without the kids!

Our first cruise was on the Wonder -- it was an awesome experience and got us hooked on cruising :thumbsup2. I am definitely the Disney lover in the family but the service, shows, kids club and Castaway Cay were hits with all of us. We also sailed on the Carnival Glory in 2009 and had a great time too -- it was a pleasant surprise and what we found was a very clean ship, great service and excellent food. The only downer was the kids club for DS age (he loved the scavenger hunts and a few other things, but mostly didn't want to go). I would love to try a cruise out of NY/NJ and would love to cruise a Freedom class RCCL ship (I hear Liberty of the Seas is coming to NJ :banana:).

I guess the important thing to remember for us is that we don't compare vacations. Our Carnival cruise was very discounted (swine flu year and we went to 2 Mexican ports) and was one of our favorite vacations (we did a pre-stay at WDW for 2 nights at the Poly ;)). This year we're sailing on the Dream :love: and are so looking forward to it. The ports are repeats for us, so this one is mainly about the ship. We could have chosen a less expensive cruise on a different line, but wanted DCL for this one. There are lots of ships and itineraries that interest us so who knows what line the next cruise will be on.

I cruised on the Magic and Wonder before cruising on RCCL's Freedom and Liberty of the Seas. Royal Caribbean was good and I liked that they departed from my hometown (Miami). I just went on the Dream Maiden Voyage and feel that DCL has a classier product. I won't say that I will never do RCCL again, but I much prefer DCL.

We did Disney as our first....and fell in love with cruising and DCL......we enjoyed the Carnival Imagination as our second cruise and had a nice time...no it wasn't Disney...but we went in with an open mind and didn't compare every little detail...we are now booked for our third cruise for November on the Dream because we want to...not because I won't try or do other lines.

Any vacation is better than no vacation in my world...so we are not to super picky :)

Disney was my first cruise in Oct 1999, now have cruised 41 times with Disney, came close once to cruise on a different one but didn't.

I've been on more cruises with Princess than DCL. Our kids are grown, but I do agree DCL is the best for little ones.

We cruised DCL for 8 times and then we took HAL to Alaska last Aug. Scared to death that it wouldn't meet DCL's standards. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We would sail with them again in a heartbeat. With that being said, we have now cruised DCL a total of 10 times.

Disney all the way for us! We have cruise DCL five times out of the last six years (three times with older children, twice without children) and are booked on the La - Vancouver repo cruise in April. I am hoping future bookings will have been announced by then so I can book for 2012 whilst on board.
I have also "trained" my son as he is hoping the Magic returns to the Med 2012 so he can book his honeymoon with DCL.
I have thought about booking other cruise ships but while Disney go to the places I havent seen at a price I can afford I don't want to take the chance of my cruise not living up to my expectations

Disney was my frist real cruise... but after I went on another line the "magic" was greatly diminished. It's good, but IMHO not the "be all and end all" it's made out to be on Disney message boards. :)

My family has only done DCL cruises (Wonder in '05 and Magic in '08, Fantasy coming next June), but I did to a Royal Carib. with a friend of mine last June. She and I had a wonderful time, and would go again in a heartbeat, even though it was an older ship, the customer service was wonderful and we had a great time just being on our own for four nights.

However...I would not take my kids on that one. On the sea day, there was a belly flop contest..ok, that was fun to watch, but then the Best Legs contest started. Four ladies were picked as judges and placed in chairs. Men then went up to these ladies, one at a time and gyrated and danced right up in their faces. When the ladies started rubbing the mens legs and thighs, I went and sat back down in my lounger... this contest was followed by Best Biceps which was a reverse groping session where the men "tested" the ladies' arms and shoulders for best muscles.

All I could think was that this was two o'clock in the afternoon on a sea day at the main pool...Did they not even think about how many young children would be in the area??? My friend spoke up and said "I'm glad my kids aren't here" and I just laughed and told her that I was just thinking the same thing.

This activity would be best reserved for an adult only area or late at night, even though quite honestly, I didn't even like it myself. Call me a prude if you must, but people who have had too much to drink and allow themselves to be pawed over and gawked at is not my idea of entertainment.

So, yes, for my family, at least for now, we will only sail Disney

I have cruised RCI over 25 times even married on the Majesty! Did Carnival 5 times and just off my 4th Disney via the PC.

I love Disney. I go to WDW at least every other year; frequently it's every year. I grew up near Disneyland, and went there *all* the time.

My first cruise was on RCCL, and except for the fact that the ship was *so* big I felt like I was vacationing at the Mall, I really loved it. My room steward, my servers, all were top notch. I then sailed Princess to Alaska. Again, loved it. The ship was not quite so huge, and was beautiful. Wonderful service. 2 more cruises on RCCL, liked 'em just fine. My last cruise was on the Magic to the Med. Wonderful cruise, great service, but not amazing, and certainly didn't "spoil me for other lines".

I can totally see the appeal of DCL for families with little kids. But service-wise, while it was great service, it was no better than on the other lines I've sailed with. And the food on the Magic really left a lot to be desired.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter