Warning: New Menus for Kids at Some TS Restaurants

disneymom2one said:
What has me smiling about this thread though is that people *still* have every option in the world. If you don't like the kids' meals, you don't have to order them.
Indeed. As you alluded to, you can get practically whatever you want, as long as you're willing to pay for it. I think that's really a big part of this issue: People want to choose what food to get, AND they want to choose which price to pay. That's an unreasonable combination.

So - a lot of salient points posted in this thread so far.

We've signed up for the DDP for when we go next May, and, all in all, the new, healthier options available to kids appeals to us. Our DS4 likes junk, like all kids, but we like to try and keep balanced and this gives us a few healthier choices to force upon him too!

The one issue I have with the kids menus at SOME restaurants, before and after the changes (and we'll see how wide-spread the changes become between now and May), is the generic choice available from restaurant to restaurant - I'd prefer the kids food to be themed to the restaurant, whether it is 'healthy' or not.

Part of the dining experience in the WDW resort is the variety of themed restaurants to choose from, offering a variety a food-styles. What I take issue with, as that the kids get treated poorly when it comes to variety. I'm not saying Lobster Bisque should be a kids option, but if I'm eating in an Italian-themed restaurant, there should be plenty of Italian food for my kid to choose from. If I'm eating in a seafood restaurant, there should be 5-6 seafood choices for my kid. Ditto Mexican, Japanese, whatever. The point is, you choose a restaurant for the theme and food style, then the kids should be able to partake of that too. That's how it would work outwith Disney, that's how it should work within Disney too.

Don't know how it works in the States, in general, but in the UK, there ARE kids menus in restaurants, and they don't just offer a hot dog / burger as an option. Kids menus tend to be cut-down or simplified versions of the adult menu, which is how it should be. I'm surprised (going by a previous poster's comment) that it's so different in the US.

I disagree with the point that Disney should be expected to make the kids menu less attractive to save themselves money and / or hassle with adults. That's patently ridiculous. They have the same responsibility to their child guests, and if they don't understand that, then that can only be harmful to the house of mouse over the long term. If Disney don't want adults to order kids meals, then they should just come out and say so on the menu - problem solved. But to penalise kids in order to make Disney's life easier is poor customer service (and retention) at best.

What has me smiling about this thread though is that people *still* have every option in the world. If you don't like the kids' meals, you don't have to order them.
That's probably why I'm not terribly upset over the changes -- we don't use the dining plan anyway. Actually, we don't normally even order kids meals for DD 4. We order whatever we want and share, whether it be entrees or several appetizers and desserts, whatever. I didn't care for the 'old' kids menus, that's a big part of why we don't order them. I don't care for the 'new' menus, so we won't order those either. :teeth: Gee...I suppose it doesn't affect us at all. :rotfl:

mightymouse said:
I disagree with the point that Disney should be expected to make the kids menu less attractive to save themselves money and / or hassle with adults. That's patently ridiculous.
A lot of sound business decisions sound ridiculous when viewed from a customer's perspective.

I'm happy about the changes but I have a 3 1/2 year old who will eat some of the different options. He will not eat all three of the items on the combination plate as veggies aren't his favorite. I can't imagine an 8 year old wanting this food. My son will eat something from all of the meals that they offer though I'm sure I'll supplement something from my plate or my husbands. Of course I'm on the dining plan when I go in December so I'll have a lot of food to share. Between the three adults that will be dining, I'm sure we can find something to share. If I wasn't on the plan I would order an adult meal that he could share. Either way, people are always stating that there aren't as many healthy options as say a chain restaurant. This is a change that could be considered a happy medium. When I worked in the restaurants in Disneyland we only had three choices...hot dog, burger and grilled cheese for lunch/dinner. Since we didn't do french fries they came with chips. Not a fruit or veggie to be found.

There are still some favorites on the list...Pizza & apples, Fruit and yogurt, Chicken and potato sticks, Macaroni & Cheese, Spaghetti & meatballs, Chicken soup and fruit salad. If my son wants something for dessert other then fruit he can have ice cream or use a snack credit for a Mickey bar. Not to mention that on the dining plan we will have a total of 6 desserts a day so I'm sure we can share the sugar...

I know that Disney can't make everyone happy. The term “no substitution” is on menus at restaurants outside of Disney. Don't you find it hard to believe that Disney won't substitute for children that won't eat what is offered? They will jump through hoops for allergies. I think we should wait to hear other posts from the people that dine in the next few weeks. This may only be in a few restaurants. Children's meals are a loss leader to get parents into a restaurant. If the meals aren't what the consumer wants then the consumer has a choice to not go or order something else.

Again... just my thoughts

lkjasd said:
This is also posted on the Dining Plan Board but I was told to post here also since it applied not just to DDP and peopl emay miss it. The other thread is here with more detail:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1242027&page=1&pp=15

To recap:

Just wanted to warn everyone (and I may be late but my search turned up no disucssion of this yet and the old menus are on Allears) that some of the kids menus have changed at TS restaurants. We were at 50's Prime Time Last Thursday and was told that they now had a "new healthy menu" starting that day. Everything my kids planned on eating was now gone. Luckily, the waitress was very good about it and let the really picky ones get a child's portion of the fried chicken. Two days later at Tony's Town Square we encountered the same menu. We were later told "all Disney restaurants" were going to this menu for kids.

I'm sorry I can't remember the menus off the top of my head but I know there were three "set" combos that you could not change and two "a la carte" entree choices on each menu. The three combos were the same on all the menus that we saw while the two a la carte items changed depending on the restaurant.

All combos were served in Mickey head shaped trays with the entree in the big area with the appetizer and dessert in the ears.

Three combos were (I think), grilled chicken breast (not fried) with a side salad and fruit cup. A veggie dipper entree with salad and fruit cup, and chicken pizza entree with salad and apple wedges. When you order these you do not get any other dessert.

I may be off on the apps/desserts but it was a week ago and I can't remember exactly what was on the menus. All I remember is our huge dissapointment in the "value" of these meals on the dinning plan and after making ADRs based on the old menus.

The a la carte items gave you a choice of soup or salad for the appetizer, two entrees (Nuggets and Mac and Cheese at PT, Spaghetti and Mac and Cheese at Tony's), and two dessert choices (a scoop of ice cream/mini sundae or a fruit cup)

Just letting you know to be wary of relying on any of the currently posted menus.

Just a warning.

YAY!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: I have been waiting for this. I did NOT relish the thought of having to tell my son he couldn't eat what all the other kids were eating. Most of it was CRAP!! I don't say that to insult those of you who thought it was the best food in the world for your kids, but it WAS quite unhealthy, for the most part. Can't deny that! :bitelip:

Does anyone have any idea what the story is with this new menu at the signature restaurants?

I think we have convinced DD8 to give up dinner at Chef Mickey's for the Flying Fish Thursday. Not, however, if she's eating out of a plastic plate and giving up the chicken breast/potatoes/veggies and chocolate dessert for chicken strips and a yogurt parfait. If that's the case, we'll probably just share our meals with her or head over to CM's after all.

PS - If mac and cheese is going to be a staple in the a la carte section, why not make it a combo meal and let the a la cartes be specific to (different for) each restaurant? That could work well for many, I would think.

My family encountered the new menu on Sept. 27th at Liberty Tree Tavern for Lunch. It was the first day they were using it, so the waitress was a little unclear on how it would all work in the long run. My sister (ordering for my picky neice) asked if she could get the pizza, no chicken, and sub carrots for the salad. The waitress said, "we'll try!"

There was no problem with the changes & substitution (however, when my neice's meal came out it had the sweat potatoes instead of the requested carrots, but the waitress brought us a bowl of carrots).

And the plates are not plastic. I am pretty sure (I was attending to my 9 month old so wasn't paying super attention to the details), but I'm pretty sure that there was a Mickey Shaped white "charger" with a black plate for the head (the entree plate) and two black bowls for the ears (the "sides".) Maybe someone else can confirm.

We were on the dining plan and my neice was able to get dessert also, but this might have been a mistake on our servers part. It was the first day and the waitress was still trying to figure things out, so might not have relized that the combos were suppose to included everything.

Hope this help with some first hand knowledge. I'm sorry I didn't pay a little closer attention, but there were nine of us dining, two of them infants, so lots going on!

I'm gonna put my flame suit on before I start writing....... :woohoo:

mightymouse said:
I disagree with the point that Disney should be expected to make the kids menu less attractive to save themselves money and / or hassle with adults. That's patently ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous when there are literally thousands upon thousands of people combing the internet & sharing "tips" on ways to save every last penny during a WDW vacation. If WDW guests would follow the age guidelines and not take advantage of every last loophole, these would be non-issues.

mightymouse said:
They have the same responsibility to their child guests, and if they don't understand that, then that can only be harmful to the house of mouse over the long term.

I do agree that WDW should offer a variety to adults & children alike, I also think that adults visiting (both with & without children) should stick to the adult menus unless there's some sort of medical necessity that requires them not to. But even in that situation, there are endless choices throughout WDW. I definately don't see it hurting them because WDW's popularity continues to grow......People will always want to visit.

mightymouse said:
If Disney don't want adults to order kids meals, then they should just come out and say so on the menu - problem solved. But to penalise kids in order to make Disney's life easier is poor customer service (and retention) at best.

It's the tradition of Disney to be as accomadating to guests as possible & make them happy, but, with the "it's all about me" attitude that runs amuk here in the states, people now expect to get what they want, whenever they want, especially from Disney (I see this on a daily basis). They do state on the menus that childrens' meals are for guests under 10, but unfortunately, those who have ordered off the kid's menus proudly share that fact and many others have take advantage of it. I really wouldn't say that Disney is penalizing children with their new menus, they're more or less making the kid's meals a much less attractive option to those who want to work the system.

I'll quote something I wrote in another thread that sums it all up in a nutshell.....

Tink10 said:
The reason why Disney does what they do so well is because they make money and can afford to provide the Magic which we have all come to love & expect. The more revenue they lose, the more cutbacks we'll see, which will make them no better than a Six Flags with a Mouse mascot.

To put it bluntly, if people would leave well enough alone, book the vacations that they can afford and stop the sometimes extremely ridiculous measures of penny-pinching, Disney wouldn't have to change a darned thing.......

The problem we had with the new menu was that you could not choose your appetizer and dessert but rather it was based on what your "entree" was.

One dd wanted the carrots and ice cream and the other the salad and apples but they didn't coincide with the entree they chose. It was one of the first days so I am hopeful that things will change to allow some substitutions (within the kids options of course).

We were able to work it out in that we could switch around between the two kids and end up with almost what they wanted. IMHO the pick one menu would work better than the complete meals esp since the cost is the same but you can't get all the options in the pick one meal.

FWIW the chicken at 50's prime time was "nugget" type chicken strips. We were also told at the end of the meal that we should have had additional choices of fried chicken or meatloaf with the pick one option. Our waiter was very good but it was one of the first days with the new kids menu and he had inquired for us about additional options as we had tentative plans to return later in the trip.

For kids like mine who often order salad, soup or appetizer and split instead of the kids choices the new menu would be terrific if it wasn't so rigid on which appetizer and dessert are included with the entree.

So, while we love the new menu choices we don't like that you can't choose which ones. Ideally they would offer all the choices and let you mix and match yourself.........

TJ

I forgot to add that we also did not like the "plastic" mickey ear service. Manners aside when we eat at a table service restaurant I expect all of us to be served on plates. I loved the portion size however just not the plastic it was served in.

This isn't just a Disney peeve btw, but also the reason why we don't eat at TGIF any more as they serve the kids stuff in a basket.

TJ

My experience yesterday at Turf's Bar and Grill at Saratoga Springs yesterday, we went w/ family who were on vacation on the dining plan and then my immediate family who were not on the dp.............

The dp didn't have anything my dd 1.5 would eat, but they made a buffalo wing appetizer plan for her to have chicken nuggets and then a side order of fries...........it probably ended up costing more than my chicken sandwich in the long run, but at least she was happy.......

My cousins children who were on the dining plan, ordered off that menu and when one wanted ice cream for dessert, the cm told her the cinnamen apples included on her dinner plate were her dessert....no problem, they just paid seperately for her ice cream.......

Lunch was great by the way.............but it just seems like the kids menus caused alot more work for the cm's, but maybe because it is still new...........I personally will have to double check ALOT of our regular restaurants and make sure dd can get her nuggets and fries (because at the moment that is ALL she is eating) and we go weekly to the parks--lucky kid, right?!?!

Tink10 said:
I'm gonna put my flame suit on before I start writing....... :woohoo:

It's not ridiculous when there are literally thousands upon thousands of people combing the internet & sharing "tips" on ways to save every last penny during a WDW vacation. If WDW guests would follow the age guidelines and not take advantage of every last loophole, these would be non-issues.

I do agree that WDW should offer a variety to adults & children alike, I also think that adults visiting (both with & without children) should stick to the adult menus unless there's some sort of medical necessity that requires them not to. But even in that situation, there are endless choices throughout WDW. I definately don't see it hurting them because WDW's popularity continues to grow......People will always want to visit.

It's the tradition of Disney to be as accomadating to guests as possible & make them happy, but, with the "it's all about me" attitude that runs amuk here in the states, people now expect to get what they want, whenever they want, especially from Disney (I see this on a daily basis). They do state on the menus that childrens' meals are for guests under 10, but unfortunately, those who have ordered off the kid's menus proudly share that fact and many others have take advantage of it. I really wouldn't say that Disney is penalizing children with their new menus, they're more or less making the kid's meals a much less attractive option to those who want to work the system.

I'll quote something I wrote in another thread that sums it all up in a nutshell.....

To put it bluntly, if people would leave well enough alone, book the vacations that they can afford and stop the sometimes extremely ridiculous measures of penny-pinching, Disney wouldn't have to change a darned thing.......

Hi Tink.

I wasn't just targetting the new menus - it's the kids menus in general, new and old. I just find it disappointing that they don't theme the kids menus more to the individual restaurants, that's all. I just feel the kids should be able to experience the full 'theme', if you like, as well as the adults.

Perhaps that's just because I know that local restaurants I frequent offer kids menus that offer similar food to that which the adults can have - I don't see why Disney can't do that.

I don't agree with the sentiment (not yours! ;) )that if people don't like the kids menus, they can order an adult meal for their kids. First off, it's too much food for a kid. Secondly, that's obviously more expensive, and is frankly (IMHO) completely unreasonable if you're staying onsite (which Disney want) and eating onsite (which Disney want). They have a captive customer base - they should at least cater properly to their needs, without expecting customers to pay adult prices for kids meals.

I agree wholeheartedly with your point about people 'abusing the system'. By all means, everyone should try and get the most out of their holiday. But kids meals are for kids. That said, while we're there and on the DDP, depending on how DS' diet is going, what I might do is half my dinner with him, and eat his kids meal! :rotfl: I don't think it will come to that though - honestly, over the two weeks we're there, I think there's enough variety in the menus (including the various buffets we plan on attending) to more than suit him. I don't expect him to eat the same thing twice on more than a couple of occasions. The only disappointment I've been trying to express is the general 'generic' feel to the kids menus throughout the restaurants, and the fact they're not more themed to the individual restaurants.

I do question the combo plates being set in stone and the same throughout the parks, I realize there is also the choice section. I would have a hard time If I could get salad and chocolate cake but only if I ordered the chicken, but I could have soup and cheese/fruit, but only if I ordered the steak. I could not have soup chicken and creme brulee because they were not all paired together. I would rather see 5 choices of app, main and dessert that the child could place together in anyway, even if three of all the choices were the same at all restaurants. Just my opinion.
I also agree with the person who mentioned their kids meal being served all at once instead of in courses being more difficult.
I also still hold to my belief that kids in general are not gonna buy the--those apples are your dessert, even if that is what they should be eating, heck what we should all be eating instead of chocolate cake or sundaes. I know they can get a sundae on the choice menu, but then they would be limited to the 2 items on it, one of which seems to always be mac and cheese. I know things change and I cant have it all, but I still have an issue with getting the DP with the understanding it includes dessert and it is the apples like the ones my kid had in that horrible TV dinner last week because I was too tired to make real food. I know I have the freedom to order anything else extra I want to, and I will, but I think there is a little part of me that will resent it.
On the other hand I am thrilled to have the avail of grilled chicken, salad etc...for my child. I know I know we just cant have it all, and since I can't eat it all nor should I, there will be plenty to share.
My other thought is this will cut down on adult sharing. I know my husband and I only ordered one meal at some TS on the DDP because we knew our son would never finish all his food, or like some places the dessert for him was full sized or they allowed an adult appy. There was more than enough food to go around. Now I think we would always order 2 adult meals knowing we might be sharing our food with him.

We originally decided to go with the Dining Plan and stay on Disney Property. After countless hours of looking over the menus I came to the conclusion that my children would not be happy eating the same thing over and over. The choices were very limited. So, we decided to scrap the DDP and ultimately decided to stay outside of Disney. So, had Disney offered more for the children I would be staying on site and forking over more $. Thats okay, more money for me in the end. :cool1:

Is it possible to upgrade the children's dining plan to adult?

Can "allergic to garbage" qualify as food allergies? I'm allergic to wheat, so can't eat most of the crap on kids' menus anyway, but I like grownup food and have since I was a small child.

fabshelly said:
Is it possible to upgrade the children's dining plan to adult?

Yes you can. We did this for our upcoming trip. Our youngest dd will be 8 and our other 2 dds are 15 and 10. DD8 would be the only one ordering off the kids menu, so I upgraded her so she would not feel left out. She always orders off the kids menus when we go out, but I figured that this will be vacation and she can get whatever she wants. CRO shows her as 10 in the system. That means you have to pay the difference in ticket prices as well. For our trip the difference in the change came to around $200.00 total. That does cut into the savings you get with the DDP, but I like the DDP for the convenience.

My kids are older so this change will not matter to us, however, if they were young I would be very upset with this change. I resent Disney or anyone else telling me that my kids have to eat healthy. My kids were not overweight (in fact they were very thin) so why should their choices be limited to healthy foods. Neither of my kids would have eaten any of the healthy choices listed, so would I have to order something off the adult menu and pay OOP? Why should I pay OOP if I paid for the dining plan already? I feel that while we are on vacation we should be able to enjoy whatever we want to eat. If my kids want ice cream or a fattening dessert they should be able to have it (they didn't usually eat these things at home). Parent's need to stop depending on other people to set rules and limits for their kids. If you don't want them to have ice cream for dessert, tell them NO!!!

I think that the healthy choices are a great option in addition to the regular children's menus. For someone staying more than a week these limited options are going to get quite tired.

We used to love dining at WDW but the direction many of the restaurants are going is not for the better. I find that even adult choices have become very limited over the last few years. I hope they don't become more limited because if they do we will probably opt to eat outside of WDW which is something we haven't done in 15+ years.

disneyjunkie said:
It's a vacation not etiquette class. :lmao:

I think my dd4 would be very offended at being served on a plastic tray when the rest of the family is served on regular plates. At her school, all of the children eat their lunches on regular (stoneware) plates with real glasses and real napkins every day. If my dd's whole class can learn to do this...certainly Disney can trust children to have plates when tehy are eating in restaurants where they are supervised by the adults with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter