**Warning LONG post for me** DH does not want to go to disney this year!!!

abaldacci

<font color=green>DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>
:headache: :mad: I am planning our yearly pilgramage to the mouse's house and what does DH do. Starts saying we can't afford it. Well 1st off we are building a house this year. He said we don't have the money to build and vacation but the money will not come out of the building money I always pay for vacation out of my money anyhoo what are some ways you think I could rationalize this trip. I will just die without my yearly trip to disney.;) thanks for the help

:headache: :mad: I am planning our yearly pilgramage to the mouse's house and what does DH do. Starts saying we can't afford it. Well 1st off we are building a house this year. He said we don't have the money to build and vacation but the money will not come out of the building money I always pay for vacation out of my money anyhoo what are some ways you think I could rationalize this trip. I will just die without my yearly trip to disney.;) thanks for the help

I'm sure you don't want a man's perspective here but you said it was your DH right? So your statement "I always pay for vacation out of my money..." is incorrect. It should say "I always pay for vacation out of our money" :rotfl:

But really, if you have the money you need to convince him by showing him. My wife will sit down with the calendar and say..."Look, In Sept. we have an extra pay week (we get paid every 2 weeks), so that will cover the hotel and tickets. Then you have ESPP check on this date,...yada yada yada"

Well she always convinces me ( I somehow put the huge credit card debt out of mind because I know she's already booked the trip anyhow :rotfl2:

I wouldn't even contemplate a vacation until the house is completed. When building, something almost always happens to blow the budget. My DH works in the construction business and says you should always add 20% to your anticipated budget and hopefully you won't go above that. Once the house is done if you have the left over money then go.

I wouldn't even contemplate a vacation until the house is completed. When building, something almost always happens to blow the budget. My DH works in the construction business and says you should always add 20% to your anticipated budget and hopefully you won't go above that. Once the house is done if you have the left over money then go.

:rotfl: Everything costs 3x the estimate and takes 3x longer....

I should be in Disney this week...we always go this week, but my husband was getting burnt out on the mouse. So, I understand your pain. So far, though I am surviving! My outlets are to plan next years trip, and push him to push his boss for an answer about the networker's convention next to Disneyland in July!:rolleyes1

Good luck!

well we just signed a construction loan on our home on friday, we are leaving in one month from today!!! We are only going down for 7 days, only doing disney on 2 days (on tickets left from last trip), will be eating in the room most days, or using acquired gift cards from x-mas, b-day, ect. We have a LOT of extra saved up for the house stuff and have a budget triped this year, but we feel we NEED this trip.... my dh is leaving for the police academy for 16 weeks the end of march, so personal choice we are going, but as i said we have $ put back for just in case on the house stuff, we also aren't really "building", we have purchased a 2 story modular home that is being put together, but still...

We have gone to Disney every year for the past 5 yrs, except for last. We bought a new house. There were so many unforseen expenses involved. I was sad about not being able to go, but thinking back we did the best thing by not incurring any more debt. This year I have been putting money back all year and we have this years trip paid for. Good luck! I feel your pain!!

well we just signed a construction loan on our home on friday, we are leaving in one month from today!!! We are only going down for 7 days, only doing disney on 2 days (on tickets left from last trip), will be eating in the room most days, or using acquired gift cards from x-mas, b-day, ect. We have a LOT of extra saved up for the house stuff and have a budget triped this year, but we feel we NEED this trip.... my dh is leaving for the police academy for 16 weeks the end of march, so personal choice we are going, but as i said we have $ put back for just in case on the house stuff, we also aren't really "building", we have purchased a 2 story modular home that is being put together, but still...
Hey congratulations on the home! In our area someone just built a modular and it turned out Beautiful! They had an architect modify the design a little- he added a wrap around porch and a garage with a breezeway.. just lovely! Good luck
Oh and on going or not going this year .... Show him the $$ and how cheap you can do it....Budget trips are still loads of fun.

I'm with you in the DH boat. We went in November and I am so ready to go back. I was considering going back for MNSSHP, but DH said he does not want to go back "that soon." So, I've been quietly tucking money away and when the dates for next year's P&P party are released, I'm hoping to have enough saved that he really can't say anything.

He has no idea how much I have tucked away. He doesn't even realize that I am actually saving. He is so used to my "savings" that get disolved into other things (so I lose them), that I don't think he's considered I'm actually stashing cash in a secret place that nobody knows about.

If you really want to go, I'd start saving on the side and see how much you get saved up.

from another perspective.. depending on how you plan to build, it can be tough on the construstion schedule to be gone for a week. There are constant decisions to be made, the constant checks to write, weather delays, sub-contractor delays, approvals to give etc. We built five years ago. My DH could do a lot of the work but even with his extensive carpentry experience we still had contractors to deal with at times. The mason, the plumber, the excavator, the inspectors, the drywallers, the list goes on and on. We broke ground on May 28th and moved into our house on Oct. 28th. So, a pretty smooth experience but still very very stressful. My suggestion would be to plan a vacation for as soon as the house is finished. Trust me, you'll need the vacation then. We took a long weekend getaway right after we finished. The twins were due exactly nine months later :confused3

I'm sure you don't want a man's perspective here but you said it was your DH right? So your statement "I always pay for vacation out of my money..." is incorrect. It should say "I always pay for vacation out of our money" :rotfl:

But really, if you have the money you need to convince him by showing him. My wife will sit down with the calendar and say..."Look, In Sept. we have an extra pay week (we get paid every 2 weeks), so that will cover the hotel and tickets. Then you have ESPP check on this date,...yada yada yada"

Well she always convinces me ( I somehow put the huge credit card debt out of mind because I know she's already booked the trip anyhow :rotfl2:

Just wanted to say that DH and I separate our expenses and money. This has made for a very happy marriage of 13 years and counting! When it comes to vacations, the person who can afford it buys! DH paid for a beach house at Myrtle Beach, and a mountain trip, but Disney is all me! When the kids started asking to go, DH said "Ask your Mom... she's the one paying for it!":lmao:

I was in the same boat last year, we are looking for a new home and my DH said we couldn't afford to go. My kids would have gone crazy on us if I
told them we couldn't go. So I started to save all my extra money and then told my DH I would pay for the whole trip. He agreed as long as none of the money came from our bill money then we could go. We leave on March 7th for a 13 day trip. It turns out I will be short money for the trip so he putting up the rest, and he also added our 2 extra days. Once the planning motion is in the works he always looks forward to it, but believe he complained the whole year. He is now just getting into the planning.
Save the money show him it won't come from the house money, do what you have to, to show him you can do it.
I am planning another trip in Oct. and as soon as we come home all the money is going away for that trip, this time I will have to have ALL the money for it to work. It will be easier to have that time since we will already have our passes.
Good Luck

I am sending you some Pixie Dust:wizard:

We were in the same boat last year. We started building in October--had already made plans a year before to vacation at WDW in March. We did leave in the middle of construction for a week. There were pros and cons.... We were doing a lot of the work ourself, so we were in much need of a little down time. However, we had to stay on our cell phone constantly while in the parks talking to cabinet man, etc. in order to take care of problems while we were gone. Kind of put a damper on things. All kinds of problems seemed to occur while we were gone. The cabinet man even had the nerve to tell my father that he couldn't believe we would vacation in the middle of building a house. I told the cabinet man that he was working for me and to build the cabinets and mind his own business!!! We do not regret it though. Leaving again March 9!!!!

go without him........that will cut your cost some:rotfl2: princess:
LOL that is what I told him I would cut him out of the buget to go. He would die if I went without him. My Girl Friend and I had a girls weekend and it about killed him.:lmao: :lmao:

Thank You all for support and different takes on the "problem" with DH .I guess I want it all. I will just have to see how the mood stikes me. I am in a stressful job and to just get away and be a kid again with my DS and DD are what I will miss the most. I hope free dining isn't offered this year or I want be able to pass it up.

Could you be my husband. :lmao: :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter