warning if you buy something off a wedding registry....

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
We bought something off the wedding registry at walmart for a gift.

When my DH asked them to note on the registry that the item had been purchased, the customer service lady just deleted the item OFF THE LIST!:confused3

WOW -- after a phone call to the manager to explain that it's not the way it works.....waiting on a phone call back. Actually, it's been two hours....maybe he's not calling back. We'll see.

If you buy something off a registry, please make sure they update the list to say "received" instead of taking it off the list!

OP, that is so nice of you to go ahead and try to fix what happened. A similar thing happened to me and I had duplicate gifts. Apparently, that was being done to my registry, where someone would buy a gift and the person ringing out the gift would delete it off the registry. Then when I went back to add a few more items to my registry I noticed things were off so I had it fixed. Not knowing those items had been purchased. Not only did I get some duplicates and had to return/exchange things but I felt bad for those who gave me gifts and as I opened them up at my shower they saw they weren't the only ones & of course I heard the comments of well I bought them off the registry etc. :confused3. So that is really nice of you to try & fix it :thumbsup2

I'm confused why this is a big deal myself. I am curious why it is a big deal to have it say received vs. removed from the list, I really don't know (maybe a regional difference?).

Actually, I always thought it was a bit funny with the lists that if you want to know what you are getting, just go look at the registery after people have bought stuff & you will find out what your gifts are ahead of time.

If it was completely taken off the list, I would be more likely to be surprised because I probably wouldn't have remembered every item I put on the list. I know I put a ton of stuff on there just so there would be a variety of price ranges.

I guess by it taken off the list and if only expensive items are left or something it could look like the couple only asked for expensive stuff?

Edited to add: OK, I see the above noted that she added more to her registery....I never thought to do that, to me once the registery was done, it was done. They were fairly new when I got married. Once I realized you could see what people bought you - I never looked again...that would take some of the fun out of receiving the gifts for me.

Why? Either way, other people won't get the item on the list. :confused3

I agree--why would anyone put it back on if it was off their list, obviously someone has bought it which is why its not there! No big deal if it was marked bought or just taken off IMO.
At my cousins shower there was some mix up with one of the gifts, for some reason this one gift would never come off the registry at BBB no matter how many people bought it- well at the shower she opened one, then another then another all of the same gift (it was in the 40.00 price range so it was a popular gift LOL) then we looked at the stack of still wrapped gifts and noticed at least 6 other packages with the same size---yup she ended up with about 8 of the same gift!

Somebody had a wedding registry at Walmart? :scared1:

A lot of people buy a lot of their smaller appliances and soft goods for weddings at Walmart; it's a national chain that is nearby everyone, so items bought at their stores can be easily returned or exchanged, no matter where the recipient lives.

Nothing wrong with a gift registry at Walmart. :confused3 They don't have fine china but there are plenty of things a person uses every day that they DO have and a range of quality/prices.

As for the registry list, 9 out of 10 times I buy from a list there will only be one or two tiny items even marked "received". I know folks are not going and buying only a couple of spoons or knives from a wedding registry or a pacifier from a baby registry. So, I would imagine that many times they are not being marked at all.

If it's entirely off the registry, and the recipient has to return it for some reason, they will have problems if they don't have all receipts etc. Especially at Target.

Not sure about walmart, though.

Exactly! I would be ticked if a clerk just took it off the registry. That's one of the big pluses to buying gifts that way - I don't have to enclose a gift receipt!

As someone who held several positions in Wal-Mart jewelry departments (the department responsible for the gift registry) for several years, I'm confused.

Unless the associate had the registry password, the item could not have been deleted. Did you print out a second copy of the registry to verify it was deleted?

The proper procedure for updating the registry is to scan the barcode on the registry, then ring up any items on the registry. Gift receipts will automatically print for those items.

On the right hand side of the registry list, you'll see two columns - one for requested, one for received.

Unless the associate was at the gift registry or on the computer at the service desk, there isn't any way to delete an item off of the registry, even if they do have the password for the couple's registry.

I didn't register AT ALL, but Walmart would have worked fine for me. Many people don't get fine china now. My "every day China" was a pretty pattern, white on white plates that you could buy at a grocery store chain after spending $40/week for 6 weeks:lmao: I still use it daily 17 years later. I also needed appliance like microwave, toaster, can opener, etc. that could be bought there as well. They sell nice utensil sets as well. A lot of family actually gave me money, and guess where I went to shop?:rotfl:

To the posters who are surprised about registries at Target and Walmart: For many of us, those are the only chain stores anywhere near us! I live in a rural area and we have a Walmart. I registered at Walmart. We registered for household things, camping gear, etc. My family loved that the registry was at Walmart because a) they're everywhere and b) the prices were reasonable. The most expensive item we registered for was our cookware, and that was around $70. Most everything else was under $20.

Neither my family or DH's are particularly affulent, so Walmart was a smart choice to register. We weren't going to register at all, but my family encouraged us to register somewhere just so we didn't get a dozen toasters. :)

I just had my bridal shower this past Sunday! We registered at Bed Bath and Beyond...and when we did, I printed a copy for our book so it would be quick to refer back to it. If an item disappeared completely, instead of having a quantity under the "fulfilled" column, I probably would have added it back in as well, thinking someone had somehow gotten into the registry and messed around with it.

As an aside, I also noticed that if someone bought a gift that wasn't on the registry, but had it scanned anyway, it showed up as "requested - 0 fulfilled - 1." And I didn't think that checking out the registry to see if things had been purchased ruined the surprise. Sure, we knew what we were getting, but we didn't know who was giving it :goodvibes

Somebody had a wedding registry at Walmart? :scared1:
I did and it wasn't because I'm cheap. had one at target and jcpenny too. Didn't have a bed, bath and beyond near by at time I don't think. And I'll be perfectly honest I don't think any of our registry had that much on them. I couldn't register for "china" as I was doing fiestaware and had a system going so only my parents and few other people could be trusted not to screw it up, and since we were already in a house with enough stuff we really didn't need a lot of your common wedding gifts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter