WARNING: Get in the right car!!

Esmeralda

Earning My Ears
Well, my biggest lesson learned from our 2-week vacation was on the very last day. We were using Tiffany Town Car (TTC) for the third time on this trip, this time to pick us up at the AKL at 5:30 a.m. and bring us to the airport. Well, after getting up at 4:00, packing, & getting a bell man at 5:00, we went outside at 5:25 and there was one car waiting with the driver outside. My dad said, "Cooper?" And he said, "Yep, how many?" My dad said 4. He said "get in." Approximately half way to the airport, he mentioned payment. I told him we paid for all 3 parts on the first part. He said, "What?! You never pay in advance!" I told him I was sorry but that's what they told me to do. He asked who and I told him the person from TTC. That's when he broke the news: "Oh... I'm not with TTC. I'm from A Affordable" WHAT??? I was aghast. He KNEW it was his fault so he immediately started stammering, "Well, they called me at 11:30 last night and I was driving so I couldn't write down their names. All I know is it was for 2 people." EXCUSE ME, but why didn't you tell us that when we said 4 people?!!! Anyway, he called the AKL, found out TTC was there waiting for us, so he arranged for the 2 people he was supposed to pick up to go with TTC. We had to pay him $50 even though we had paid TTC in advance, but we're nice people and I never even considered not paying him (despite it being his mistake). I immediately called TTC and told them what happened, assuming the people who rode with him would pay for their ride (they didn't pay anything in advance to A Affordable), and I would be reimbursed since the TTC would be paid twice.

Well, needless to say, my assumption was wrong. I left 2 additional messages with TTC before getting through the 3rd time. I was told that the people who took my towncar didn't pay, and therefore, I wouldn't be getting reimbursed. :confused: I can't imagine people getting a free ride and thinking there was nothing wrong with that. I called A Affordable back and he says that when he called AKL from the car, they agreed I would pay for my ride, they would pay for their ride and I would be reimbursed. He even went so far as to say TTC was lying. So... I don't know what to believe. It's not even about the money anymore. I just feel really let down and disappointed in people. A-Affordable for "stealing" us, TTC for possibly lying about not getting paid.

Thanks for letting me share my "sad experience of the day." (Actually, several days worth.) This was something I had never read from these boards so I wanted to pass the info along to you and maybe save someone else from this inconvenience! Next time, I'll be like, "What company are you with? What is the name of the party?" Even when it's 5:30 in the morning and I'm holding my sleeping 5-year old and half asleep myself ...

Sorry that happened, but thanks for sharing it. I have been reading several similar problems with people getting in the wrong cars with similar names, so maybe this will help someone not make the same mistake.

That is terrible!
We have been approached by "gypsy drivers" at MCO, but they have never tried to pretend they were our real driver. They were looking for people who didn't have pre-arranged transportation. They are not supposed to be soliciting people there, but it seems to be common.
We use Happy Limo, and they have drivers license plates with the company name. There is usually a sticker on the car with their name, too. I don't know if the other companies do that, but it's worth noting whether there are any markings anywhere on the vehicle.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Originally posted by Esmeralda
he arranged for the 2 people he was supposed to pick up to go with TTC. We had to pay him $50 even though we had paid TTC in advance, but we're nice people and I never even considered not paying him (despite it being his mistake). I immediately called TTC and told them what happened, assuming the people who rode with him would pay for their ride (they didn't pay anything in advance to A Affordable), and I would be reimbursed since the TTC would be paid twice.

and I'm holding my sleeping 5-year old and half asleep myself ...

Hindsight is 20/20. You should have just told the driver that when the people pay TTC for the ride TTC should just pay him. Was there a company name on the towncar?

"What company are you with? What is the name of the party?"

You got it right. Ask them questions that they must supply answers for, not just reply yes or no. Much better than asking "Are you with Tiffany" which gives a gypsy operator a chance to lie and really steal you.

This includes the ride from airport to Disney.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

You need to call your credit card company and dispute the charge to the original vendor. You did not get the service you paid for, therefore, you should not have to pay. If you want to play nice, call TTC and tell them you are going to do this. IMHO, you gave them the opportunity to make it right and they didn't so you owe them nothing.

The cc card company MIGHT back OP BUT they really shouldn't. The fact that OP got into the wrong car isn't Tiffany's fault. OP left, in the wrong car, 5 minutes before his scheduled pick up. Tiffany was there waiting for the customer.

Originally posted by mcnuss
You need to call your credit card company and dispute the charge to the original vendor. You did not get the service you paid for, therefore, you should not have to pay. If you want to play nice, call TTC and tell them you are going to do this. IMHO, you gave them the opportunity to make it right and they didn't so you owe them nothing.

Oh, how frustrating for you-- but what a good lesson for all of us! I'm sure I would have done the same thing you did; whoever said that hindsight is 20/20 is right! Thanks for sharing your "hindsight" with us.

My goodness. This is not the first time for a problem like this. I'm definitely going to make sure I am getting into the correct car and that the driver is supposed to be there to pick me up. I used FL Tours on our last trip and Andy was great! Annmarie

Originally posted by Lewisc
The cc card company MIGHT back OP BUT they really shouldn't. The fact that OP got into the wrong car isn't Tiffany's fault. OP left, in the wrong car, 5 minutes before his scheduled pick up. Tiffany was there waiting for the customer.

Yes, but
called A Affordable back and he says that when he called AKL from the car, they agreed I would pay for my ride, they would pay for their ride and I would be reimbursed. He even went so far as to say TTC was lying.

If this is indeed true, then the OP should not have to pay.

>>> You need to call your credit card company and dispute the charge to the original vendor.

No!

The original vendor, as far as we know, did try to render service. You the customer did not show because you mistakenly took another service.

Any dispute you have, if any, would be with A. Affordable.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful feedback. I'm not going to take any further action. It helps me just knowing I may prevent someone else from making the same mistake. Thanks again for your support!

I just wanted to jump in and thank you very much for sharing your story and to tell you how sorry I am that this happened to you!

What a terrible way to end your vacation. I can't believe you paid another $50 and the other people paid nothing!!!:headache: :mad:

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful feedback. I'm not going to take any further action. It helps me just knowing I may prevent someone else from making the same mistake. Thanks again for your support!
Well I would like to thank you for the very useful tip. My DW and I are heading down to WDW in Jan and we have reservations through TTC. I will be sure now to ask the driver his company and for the confirmation number that TTC emailed us so as to avoid confusion. Sorry that your departure was less than enjoyable (as if leaving WDW is supposed to be enjoyable), but I hope that you will feel better knowing you helped at least one person out by sharing your experience.

but tell TCC and AAffordable companies that you are a member of the DIS boards (i'm sure they know about us) and tell them you will write a full report on your refund etc. This may make them reconsider their efforts in helping you fix this problem. Word of mouth....

Sorry to hear about your transportation problems.

As for TTC...I'm not surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear that the other party DID PAY. Unfortunately, we had a bad experience with a TTC driver. TTC said they would reimburse us. Well, two years later we're still waiting.

How awful for you! and thanks so much for posting your unhappy adventure...I'll be making three trips to WDW both as a land vacation and in combination with cruises next year. Although I've read and re-read the problems with the Mears slow boat to China (so to speak) I feel much more at ease with my decision now...For one thing, I know I am expecting a Mears van or bus and, in addition, NO transport company in their right mind would pretend to be Mears.....:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Esmerelda: Thanks for posting your experience. What a bummer.
Originally posted by videogal1
...For one thing, I know I am expecting a Mears van or bus and, in addition, NO transport company in their right mind would pretend to be Mears.....:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
LOL!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter