Warning: Castaway Cay Stingray Experience, skin ripped off

I think Disney's feeding instructions are flawed. Not only have we done sting ray excursions in Grand Cayman, but we are SeaWorld annual pass members. We feed the sting rays at the park here and are given the same instructions here as on Grand Cayman. Hold the food loosely in your fist with your thumb tucked in. The sting rays come swimming over the top and suck it out. I've felt the suction but never felt like my hand might be sucked in.

I love interacting with the sting rays! It's a shame that some are getting hurt.

I hate you got hurt. No one wants that to happen. And this is a very good point for everyone to learn from here on the boards. We might take our boys on a dolphin excursion on our cruise...and, yes, dolphins can and do attack.

Dolphins...http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wild/videos/the-dark-side-of-dolphins/

But, I do not think that DCL should be expected to refund your money for the excursion and here is why. You take a certain level of risk when feeding wild animals. Stingrays are not domesticated in any way. Sure they feed them and cut the barb on their tail. But, really not domesticated. There are tours (not through DCL) that will feed tiger sharks while you dive with them. These sharks have been tracked to show up for the food every day at the same time. Feed and the sharks will come. But, they still have the capability to bite you or kill you.

DCL is not responsible that the Stingray sucked too hard or bit you or maybe the angle the ray was in set it up for you to get hurt, or maybe this was a feisty ray, etc. This is where you know that there is risk in the excursion you decided upon because the animals are wild.

I hate that you got hurt. But, thank you for reminding us all of what could happen.

I hate you got hurt. No one wants that to happen. And this is a very good point for everyone to learn from here on the boards. We might take our boys on a dolphin excursion on our cruise...and, yes, dolphins can and do attack.

Dolphins...http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wild/videos/the-dark-side-of-dolphins/

But, I do not think that DCL should be expected to refund your money for the excursion and here is why. You take a certain level of risk when feeding wild animals. Stingrays are not domesticated in any way. Sure they feed them and cut the barb on their tail. But, really not domesticated. There are tours (not through DCL) that will feed tiger sharks while you dive with them. These sharks have been tracked to show up for the food every day at the same time. Feed and the sharks will come. But, they still have the capability to bite you or kill you.

DCL is not responsible that the Stingray sucked too hard or bit you or maybe the angle the ray was in set it up for you to get hurt, or maybe this was a feisty ray, etc. This is where you know that there is risk in the excursion you decided upon because the animals are wild.

I hate that you got hurt. But, thank you for reminding us all of what could happen.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 very good points.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Hi. I got back from the cruise a few days ago...we did the stingray experience. Please know that they tell you they do not bite.....HOWEVER....the stingrays suck the food out from between your fingers with a powerful suction. The stingray that took my food also sucked my finger up into it's mouth and ripped the skin off. My finger was dripping blood. The person in charge took me to feebily put a band-aide and ointment on (didn't really know how to even do that simple task well) after the experience (not even immediately after it happened) and sent me on my way. I met someone on the ship that had the same thing happen to her on the experience as well, so I am not the only one. Please be aware! Had I known this could happen I would NEVER and I mean NEVER allow my children to do this! Disney did not even offer to refund the money.

:confused3:confused3 Really? refund?? My daughter(12 years old) had this same thing happen in Grand Cayman a few years ago, I knew the risk and a little skin abrasion with some blood was not a big deal to her...tough kid I guess.:)

I was the only one out of our group that got a "bite". No blood, just a little scare and and pinchy moment. My DD and DS were 13 and 11 at the time. I don't think I would encourage younger ones (my DS 3 was at the club), and I really enjoyed the snorkeling afterward. If you realize it is not a truly controlled environment, but for the most part you are safe, you will be good:) We are people in their sea, and sometimes things happen but they are minor. But they do happen unfortunately:( I am happy I did it, but I probably wouldn't feed again.

Thanks for the input. I think we're signing up, but may skip the feeding part and just do the snorkeling. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter