Warning: Art of Animation thermostat WILL NOT go below 68!

TJDisneymama said:
same here, although I'm not going 'til April, but I've had my heart set on staying here for years now and this would be a deal breaker for me. I always feel hot in hotels and ALWAYS, always turn the a/c down to 60-62. Anything higher than that and I sweat all night and cannot sleep. at home I keep the bedroom vents closed so no heat comes in and I keep my windows open. It's 28 outside right now and I have my windows open so it's probably like 40 in my room - perfect sleeping weather.

I've skipped several pages but OP - have you gone to the front desk? Did you ask for the medical thermostat? Has anyone confirmed if this is just the LM rooms or is it the suites as well??

It's the suites as well.

I'm an under the sheet and blanket type sleeper. Especially soft blankets. I always remove the bedspread. I was in the room with three girls (15, 10, 4). Everyone was in pajamas and everyone was under covers. Just they way we like it. I keep my house at home at 68 degrees year round. Lower temps also help keep down the spread of all those nasty bugs kids bring home from school.

Web MD on Best Temperature for Sleeping

Even *freezes* do not do away with the nasty *bugs* going around :(

As for *recommended* sleeping temps, even the experts can't agree. When I googled it, it seemed it was mostly 68-72 with variations. In other words, as far as people's wants, the nightly temps do not matter as far as health goes (not talking about extremes either way).

"experts" in low humidity areas probably have a different ideal range then those in high humidity areas like florida

68 in the winter time is cold at my house when the heat is on (low humidity) but 68 in the summer is warm in my opinion (high humidity) in florida during the summer

Is there a manufacturer name or model number on these thermostats? There is ALWAYS a way around things :idea: (well, I am hoping there is)

We just got back from Art of Animation and feel the same you do! We woke up sweating almost every night. Only when you get up to the bathroom does it kick back in.

And I am sorry I am not going to buy an $8 Disney balloon(or however much they are) just to keep it going during the night.

They really should fix the thermostat to actually keep it cool in there. I am not a warm person I am normally freezing but it was a problem that it got so hot in there. The 68 was not 68 it was more like 74!

We just got back from Art of Animation and feel the same you do! We woke up sweating almost every night. Only when you get up to the bathroom does it kick back in.

And I am sorry I am not going to buy an $8 Disney balloon(or however much they are) just to keep it going during the night.

They really should fix the thermostat to actually keep it cool in there. I am not a warm person I am normally freezing but it was a problem that it got so hot in there. The 68 was not 68 it was more like 74!

Please send off an e-mail, and explain your complaint. Only if Disney gets bombarded with complaints will anything change.

I would imagine they're getting tons of calls every day from guest who are too hot so hopefully they will do something about it. Obviously the 68 degrees is not truly 68 because I agree 68 should be ok to sleep, so they need to adjust so it can go lower. I'm going to call when I get a chance (the actual front desk not the main #) and ask them about it and ask about the medical thermostat and see what they say.

Even *freezes* do not do away with the nasty *bugs* going around :(

As for *recommended* sleeping temps, even the experts can't agree. When I googled it, it seemed it was mostly 68-72 with variations. In other words, as far as people's wants, the nightly temps do not matter as far as health goes (not talking about extremes either way).

That is why I didn't say it would do away with the nasty bugs... I said it helps keep down the spread of those little bugs the kids bring home from schools. I also posted a source from WebMD that showed exactly what I've said, for me the temp of 68 is perfect for my sleeping.

The high humidity in Florida can make 68 not feel nearly as comfortable it might feel in your house.

There are a number of reasons why someone may need the room to be cooler. The number one factor is that it takes a good night's rest before starting out on a long day in the parks. We all know that we walk miles and miles during a typical Disney day.

There are a number of medical reasons that a lower temp may be needed to ensure the comfort of a guest. Lower humidity/cooler air may help those that have sinus issues. Skin rashes or sunburn may require a cool down period in order for the discomfort to be decreased by the next morning. Many women, and few men, can tell you that hot flashes are miserable to deal with particularly in the summer. People that are overweight or have thyroid issues also may have a higher sensitivity to heat. These people may be able to "suck it up" during a daily visit to the parks, but at night they need to cool down and relax.

Going to Disney most months of the year expose many visitors to temps and humidity very different than what they experience in their home town.

When you factor in that a 5/6 night lodging bill on property may be between 500 (off season) to 1200 dollars, it is entirely reasonable for the guest to expect a comfortable nights sleep.

:thumbsup2

email Disney and let them know... I did a few days ago. I was nice about it but definitely wanted to get my point across that this is not acceptable to many guests and I will not be staying in that resort again.

We stayed at POFQ from 9/1-9/11 and it was very HOT and HUMID out. The first day our thermostat was supposedly at 68 degrees. No way. I called down right away to maintenance and they said they would come up to fix it. Got back from the park and it was still hot in the room. Called again and they said OK, we will come look at it again. Finally, I went downstairs, talked to a manager and expressed how I felt. I couldnt get the air to go down below 68 and that wasnt even a true 68 degrees. Even with a ceiling fan on, it was HOT in there. I am from Chicago and our summer this summer was just as bad as Disney can get so I know what air feels like.. LOL

FINALLY, after all my bit*****, they did something and my thermostat was set at 65 day AND night and I never once changed it. It was so nice and freezing cold in our room, it was great! I feel for my hubby and daughter but they went under the covers. I dont know what the maintenace guy did, but he fixed it and the manager gave us a $100 credit for the inconvenience.

If it isnt cold in my room, then I cannot sleep. Even just a little warm. Forget it. It is easier to warm up then cool down. :rolleyes1

just wanted to provide an update on this:

I emailed Disney and was very nice about my comments but did want to inform them of our problems during the stays, concerns, lack of resolution options, as well as other comments (in this discussion in particular).

I received a call from Disney Monday from a very nice lady who I talked to. She was asking different questions and I could tell she was taking notes. I told her a ceiling fan would have helped a lot. She was surprised the unit cut off at night...even though she knew it had sensors she thought it would detect if someone was in the room and keep running (of course if we're sleeping and not moving I"m not sure how it would?) She appologized for our troubles during our stay and thanked me for my openness/honesty and for letting them know.

I have a feeling more people will be complaining about the 68 (which is not really 68 in my opinion) cutoff ESPECIALLY if this becomes the new norm at other resorts as well.

We ran into the same problem at AKL in September. I couldn't bypass it and even if I switched it from 'auto' to 'high' it would still shut off. And there are no balloons allowed at AKL so I don't know if that would of even helped. I dealt with it in the beginning but waking up sweaty every night got old fast.

I live in South Fl and we keep the a/c in our house set on 78. When we stay at Disney the lowest we set the a/c is 74. If it is any lower than that I am freezing!

I'm also in South Florida and we keep it around 76,but if it weren't for my fan in my bedroom I wouldn't get any sleep at 76 degrees,nowhere near cool enough for me.I have also noticed other hotels in the Orlando area doing the same thing,they just don't get that cold,it's like someone programmed them to only drop to 68 or so.I know I've had a couple of nights in some of those hotels where I couldn't get to sleep since it just wasn't cool enough.Seems like I'm going to avoid booking at Art of Animation in the future.

exactly... and I bet your 76 degree unit (with ceiling fan) doesn't cut off in the middle of the night either? I guaranteed you I got up at least 3-4 times every night because I woke up in a sweat or couldnt sleep and had to turn the air back on.

something else I thought was interesting... when the unit did cut off, it never showed the room temp to be at 68. I think 69 was the lowest I ever saw it and there is no way it was 69 in that room and if it was it had to be 125% humidity lol

So glad I ran across this thread! We leave on Sunday, and are doing a split stay which includes AoA LM. Normally 68 in a hotel is okay for me, but sometimes, particularly at Disney I need to crank it down a little more to get the room comfortable enough to sleep in. We drive, so I'm bringing a fan just to be safe.

I'd change my reservation now to POP, but we just stayed there at the beginning of Nov. and the thermo in our room would not go below 72, and had that motion sensor thing on it. We arrived very late at night, and I was too tired to wait up for maintenance. It was a very short trip and we planned to be out at the parks for most of the next day, so I just decided to deal with it. Wish I hadn't now. FWIW our room was in the 90s building at POP.

Here is a recommendation. I haven't tried this, but it's what I think I would do. It sounds like it is really a lot hotter than the thermostat is saying. So bring a thermometer or temperature gauge and place it in the room near the beds. See what the temperature really is in the room. Take a picture of the temperature display with your phone, go to the front desk, and show them how hot the room really is. Maybe with proof that the room is unbearable will cause something to be done, especially if a lot of people do it.

Here is a recommendation. I haven't tried this, but it's what I think I would do. It sounds like it is really a lot hotter than the thermostat is saying. So bring a thermometer or temperature gauge and place it in the room near the beds. See what the temperature really is in the room. Take a picture of the temperature display with your phone, go to the front desk, and show them how hot the room really is. Maybe with proof that the room is unbearable will cause something to be done, especially if a lot of people do it.

Great idea.

Our POFQ room last month was a questionably warm/humid '68' degrees...so I'd love to see thermometer/thermostat comparison pics posted here on the Dis.

However, humidity always makes it feel warmer than it actually is, so the degree comparison may not work if it is humidity related.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter