Warning about danger when raining in the parks

yooperfan

Hi HO, hi ho, it's off to work we go
Family members were finishing up their last day at Disney HS yesterday when it started to pour. My young nephew slipped on a wet area and hit his head. He was vomiting and disoriented. eMS was called and they diagnosed a bad concussion. They flew into Milwaukee this morning. Something wasn't right so they took him to the hospital the docs said they were surprised he lived to Milwaukee. He has a 6" skull fracture and had bleeding in 2 places. He was in surgery twice today. He is now in guarded condition. My point is, should you have a situation similar and they call EMS, demand tests get done. Also, be very careful in the parks when it rains, seems there is always standing water. Prayers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hope your nephew is doing ok. Not a good memory to end on. But hopefully this won't keep him from enjoying future Disney trips.

I'm not sure what you are implying with "demand tests get done". If EMS was called then the parents would have had to sign a waiver not to go to the hospital. But it sounds like he got worse and they took him to the hospital which is exactly what they needed to do.

But yes, the ground at disney can be slippery when wet and we should be careful.

Very sorry to hear that. Hope he recovers quickly. Head injuries can be very serious even if there are no outward signs of damage. I'm shocked he wasn't taken to the hospital when it happened.

Thanks everyone. My point about getting test done is not by any means saying EMS didn't do their job. Wasn't there, don't know. It is more a caution to not take a diagnosis at face value with something like this. Better safe than sorry.

Oh, How awful! Hoping for a quick recovery for him! Please keep us posted!

Thanks for the warning, I did notice this last time we were there, that there were some slick spots.

My very close friend's daughter just experienced a concussion at the beginning of the school year during a volleyball game. The doctor told her that anytime there is vomiting with a head injury, head to the ER immediately for CT Scans. I would not have known that, however, I'm surprised EMS did not advise it. Saying lots of prayers for your nephew. Please keep up posted!

I hope that he is doing ok.

But this is a good reminder to wear the proper attire to the parks and to be careful when the "roads" are wet so to speak. I am not saying he was or wasn't, but really it is an opportunity for us all to learn.

Definitely wear non-slip shoes of some shape or form and make sure that they are in good condition prior to going to the parks.

Since this involves a head injury, it would also be a good time to remind everyone not to put kids on their shoulders in the parks, especially at shows and the fireworks. Yes, I know it gives the kids a better view, there is A LOT of stuff that they could hit their head on if they fell. And yes, I have seen the resulting damage when I have been in first aid at Disneyland, it is not pretty. And this doesn't even factor in how rude it is to other guests who also paid good money to be there.

Believe me, I feel very bad for this guy and I am NOT saying he did anything wrong whatsoever. I am simply saying that this can serve as a good reminder for all of us to be careful when it's raining. As the OP said, it is also a good reminder that we should get the appropriate medical care when an accident does happen and they will happen no matter how careful we are. It's just part of life, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to be careful.

Hope he is well soon!
Everyone should be careful. DH slipped as we were walking to our room yesterday. When we woke up his foot was swollen and purple. We took him to the ER and had X-rays done. He fractured his foot.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Oh my goodness! I hope he has a speedy and flawless recovery! :hug:

Thank you all for your kindness. He is holding his own and responding to his 2 hour checks. Hopefully he will improve more soon.

While WDW isn't any more slippery than anywhere else, people do a lot more walking, kids get distracted, etc. People also want to wear their 'comfy' shoes, which are not always the best for traction and safety. I always had my kids wear all terrain style shoes - great traction, great foot support. never had a slipping incident.

Now that my 'children' are young adults, they get to choose their own footwear. DD19 decided to wear flip flops on one trip, and had a dangerous time in the rain. I started calling her shoes 'slip-flops', which of course made her angry :lmao:

I'm glad the OP's nephew got treated and seems to be doing better. How scary! Lucky that nothing happened with the pressure changes that come with flying! But I thought you weren't supposed to fly with a concussion? :confused3

Anyways, hope he recovers quickly and completely, poor kid!

OP, hope the little guy heals quickly. What a sad way to end a trip.

To the poster who reminded us of all the safety concerns, ty, in the excitement of a trip it is easy to forget sometimes what could go wrong.

Quite a few years back, in World Showcase we were waiting for Illuminations. There was a puddle near where we were waiting, and DS5 kept running back and forth through it, and I kept yelling at him to stop before he fell. He did not stop . .. Hi did fall, right on his head. It was kind of funny, and scary at the same time. Luckily, he didn't hit his head that hard, no damage was done. I would like to say he learned a lesson, but the truth of the matter is, he is a lot thicker than that, would probably take a couple of concussions to get through to him :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter