• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Warning about Bank One Disney Visa

I don't understand why people don't just get a discover card. You get money back (I believe 1%) on all purchases and as soon as you accumulated $20 you can request a check in that amount. I put everything on the discover card and just use my disney visa where discover is not accepted. I would rather get a check, cash it, and buy whatever I want in Disney than to have to carry a card around and wonder when the card actually expires.

With Discover card and some of the other "cash" award cards, you give only 1/4% on the first so many thousand dollars, 1/2% on the next so many thousand, 3/4% on the next, and then finally 1% on maybe after you have charged $6,000 or more dollars. Disney gives you 1% in disney dollars from the beginning....the difference adds up!

just went and found my rewards card. Sure enough 12/05 expiration. Now I'll use all those points and more on the cruise, but I'll make sure to have a zero point balance on the card.

Okay hope my question on the Disney Visa is alright to post here??

I thought I was suppose to received 2% for purchases over a certain amount each month but from what I can see I am only getting the 1%?? It was suppose to start back in July but so far it's just been 1% I am spending way, way above the limit???

When the T & C are quoted back to the OP, she protests that her life is too busy to know what the rules are, ( sound legal stratagy ) .Yet she has the time to make phone calls, e-mail Bank One AND post to this thread. The fact that a Disney manager offered to credit your account $40.00 is not proof that you're right, it's proof that Disney goes above and beyond what they are required to do. They owed you nothing.

But the part I'm most curious about is this: Since Bank One agreed to credit your account the lost $86.00, are you going to tell Disney "never mind, keep the $40.00 you offered me" ?????

For those of you who are belittliing the people who have lost disney dollars, and keep saying how disney goes above and beyond, maybe I should clarify why I took out my points and didn't spend them. I was told when I first opened the account, the card was permanent and no new card was to be issued just reloaded. Never throw it away she said. First customer service error. Then I ordered my points put to the card to get my annual disney passes. Guess what? Disney said I couldn't order the passes until 30 days from expiration which was Feb. 2005. So being told I cannot renew my passes with my $180 after I allready transferred the points and that my card is permanent what we you do? Wait like I did. How stupid do you think anyone would be to let $180 expire if we were told otherwise. I am glad all you people have so much time to read the small print, and that you were not misrepresented by customer service in the beginning, but bottom line is they stole $180 from us and you wouldn't be happy either. Until Disney or Bank One does something about it, they did take our money. Why is it, that Disney being as big as they are, are being so stubborn about giving us the points back. PR goes a long way. Hopefully no one else gets taken advantage of either. I don't care what the paperwork says. I was told differently. Maybe they should pull my taped conversation. Thanks to all for your support, and no thanks to you all who have no sympathy. See what you would do if it happened to you. I don't think you'd be happy either.

I'm truly sorry for those of you who lost any rewards dollars that you had because they were on a card that expired. It serves as a warning to the rest of us but that does very little to ease your pain.

Please keep in mind that your beef is not with Disney (it's just their name on the card, like a Barnes & Noble VISA or AKC VISA). Disney has nothing to do with the rules of the program other than dictating where those rewards can be used. Yes, they should probably care a little more about how their name is being dragged thru the mud by BankOne's poor customer service but they cannot restore your lost rewards dollars or credit your account in any way. That's all on BankOne/FirstUSA and that's where your complaints should be directed.

I hope that BankOneDisneyUghh and grumpygrandma find a satifactory solution with BankOne. It can be very frustrating dealing with financial institutions. They are always right, you are always wrong. And if you challenge them, they've got it written somewhere in fine print to back themselves up.

And remember that as a consumer, your most powerful weapon is your mouth. Let everyone know what happened to you and how poor the customer service has been. The credit card industry is very competitive and there's always a better offer out there. If you don't like the way you've been treated by BankOne, cancel the card and get a rewards card from Chase, Bank of America, Wachovia, or any other large bank. And let BankOne know why you're doing it.

I too never realized the points/cards expire. Atleast not until I read it here. I now transfer my points to the card and one hour later I call WDW and put it toward my resort bill. The 1st CM said that I couldn't do it. So I did what all good Diser's do. I hung up and called back and got a more expierenced CM wo took the info and mailed me a ressie update. I am now much more careful with Disney Visa because I work hard to accumulate the points and the're mine. All Mine.

:wave: :wave2: princess: princess:

Hey I have read of someone who buys Disney dollar with their points. As they said they never expire.

You know what honks me off the most about this? It's not the poor customer service. It's not my own stupidity at missing the fine print and not using up my balance in December. It's that Bank One's program seems to be designed in such a way that people lose point dollars. Why else would they have a rewards card that expires before the points in your account do? Why not have the points roll over from one rewards card to another? They sure seem to be able to roll your balace from one card to another when your CC expires and they send you a new one.

**sigh** Now that I know how the game is played, I'll play it by their rules, but I think the rules stink.

aka-mad4themouse: "If you don't like the way you've been treated by BankOne, cancel the card and get a rewards card from Chase, Bank of America, Wachovia, or any other large bank. And let BankOne know why you're doing it."

just an FYI - Bank One and Chase have merged.

Blame Bank One ...not Disney. Not their fault. I personally haven't had any problems with my Rewards Dollars or my Rewards Card. I charge, transfer, and use! I leave what I don't need on my statement and transfer points when I need them. (by phone or online)

"02-10-2005, 09:53 PM #45
Plus4206
Mouseketeer
When the T & C are quoted back to the OP, she protests that her life is too busy to know what the rules are, ( sound legal stratagy ) .Yet she has the time to make phone calls, e-mail Bank One AND post to this thread. The fact that a Disney manager offered to credit your account $40.00 is not proof that you're right, it's proof that Disney goes above and beyond what they are required to do. They owed you nothing.

But the part I'm most curious about is this: Since Bank One agreed to credit your account the lost $86.00, are you going to tell Disney "never mind, keep the $40.00 you offered me" ?????

First of all you were not on the phone so you dont know how our conversation went. pirate: Second of all you dont know me and what my life entails, :crazy: :banana: third of all this is a public forum and like another poster said word of mouth goes a long way. :rotfl: I was using my freedom of speech which is a wonderful thing! :cool1:
I was never rude to anyone during my phone calls to bank one. :love: I was very upset for the loss of my hard earned points. pirate: I treated each person I spoke to with great respect. :Pinkbounc I was given WRONG information which was PROVED in a PULLED TAPE. :cheer2: You don't need to be "CURIOUS" about anything since you know all the rules and never LOST anything so I will spare you the explanation of what took place. I donate a lot of my time and money to others out there who need it and so when I get a little upset over lost "rewards money for my own kids I am well entitled to that". I hope that everyone out there finally figures this program out according to the "rules" and nobody looses out on anything. People work too hard nowadays to loose it over something preventable.
Thank you to all of the posters who gave GREAT advice, web sites to visit, and just lent an ear. I really truly appreciate it.
I did get my credit and I will use it well (and to MISS curious.....I only accepted what was rightfully mine....................nothing more..............nothing less). Now you have a wonderful day.

BankOneDisneyUghh said:
"02-10-2005, 09:53 PM #45
Plus4206
Mouseketeer

First of all you were not on the phone so you dont know how our conversation went. pirate: Second of all you dont know me and what my life entails, :crazy: :banana: third of all this is a public forum and like another poster said word of mouth goes a long way. :rotfl: I was using my freedom of speech which is a wonderful thing! :cool1:
I was never rude to anyone during my phone calls to bank one. :love: I was very upset for the loss of my hard earned points. pirate: I treated each person I spoke to with great respect. :Pinkbounc I was given WRONG information which was PROVED in a PULLED TAPE. :cheer2: You don't need to be "CURIOUS" about anything since you know all the rules and never LOST anything so I will spare you the explanation of what took place. I donate a lot of my time and money to others out there who need it and so when I get a little upset over lost "rewards money for my own kids I am well entitled to that". I hope that everyone out there finally figures this program out according to the "rules" and nobody looses out on anything. People work too hard nowadays to loose it over something preventable.
Thank you to all of the posters who gave GREAT advice, web sites to visit, and just lent an ear. I really truly appreciate it.
I did get my credit and I will use it well (and to MISS curious.....I only accepted what was rightfully mine....................nothing more..............nothing less). Now you have a wonderful day.

Well Bank One did step up to the plate and give me the hard earned dollars back to Grumpy Grandma. I have now changed my name to Happy Grandma. Sounds like 2 of the 7 dwarfs. I now have my $180 back. They did realize that I was misinformed and gave me back what I deserved. Thanks to all of you who were sympathic to all of us who thought we would lose what we worked hard for. Then there is the Mouseketeer who thinks she is god and has no sympathy for anyone. She has plenty of time to criticize other people so it looks like we should all be glad we don't live at their house. Bottom line is, some of us in the charter group were given wrong info and Bank One realized it and did something about it. We shouldn't be told how stupid she thinks we were. Well a lot of us live in a happy world and then some just have to go find something wrong with life. Obviously we won't see Mouseketeer at Disneyland having a good time. Hooray for Disney rewards. Now I can get our annual passes. Have a great day for those who want to. Happy Grandma

you know ... 1% is pretty pethetic when you think about it...

$3000 on your Disney Visa get's you $30
$3000 on a Starwood AMEX gets you 3000 points which will get ayou a room at a decent hotel that would otherwise cost you $100 or more...

I am debating on wether to charge my wife's Lasik ($4600) on our Disney Visa and get $46 or on the starwood and get 4600 points.... which is almost half a room at the Dolphin.... or a night at a 4-points the nexttime we decide to drive to WDW...

All in all.. my point being.. they can afford a better perk... 3%, 5%, even 10%.. they end up making more in the long run!

Cancel your Disney Visa now. Dont' wait until tomorrow.

The exact same thing just happened to us, We lost 51 dollars on the exact same scam. We called in Dec, and they told us the exact same thing.

They lie, hide and concele

Had to call a second time to get a new reward card and they lied again. Said we had not.

A great company like Disney should not associate with this kind of activity!!!

This card proves that the customer is never right. :confused:

NandP said:
you know ... 1% is pretty pethetic when you think about it...

$3000 on your Disney Visa get's you $30
$3000 on a Starwood AMEX gets you 3000 points which will get ayou a room at a decent hotel that would otherwise cost you $100 or more...

I am debating on wether to charge my wife's Lasik ($4600) on our Disney Visa and get $46 or on the starwood and get 4600 points.... which is almost half a room at the Dolphin.... or a night at a 4-points the nexttime we decide to drive to WDW...

All in all.. my point being.. they can afford a better perk... 3%, 5%, even 10%.. they end up making more in the long run!

You are correct - not all rewards cards are equal. We also have the Starwood American Express card, and I just used 3,000 Starwood points for a Friday night reservation at the Sheraton Safari - valued at ~$88 at the minimum ($79 AAA rate plus tax). The Starwood AMEX is a better value for things charged to it than my Marriott Rewards Visa. Though both earn 1 point per dollar charged, Starwood hotels require about 1/3-1/5 fewer points per free hotel night than the equivalent Marriott hotel. The Sheraton Safari was 3,000 points for a weekend night, vs 15,000 Marriott points for 1 night at the Courtyard or Springhill Suites at the Marriott Village. The Starwood AMEX also transfers points to airline miles on a 1:1 basis for most airlines, and gives you a 5,000 mile bonus when you transfer 20,000 points. :)

You can get your Disney Dream rewards card and have points transferred to it while you're at WDW. I applied for the card last August to get $50 rewards dollars right off the bat. My card arrived in September, I charged about $500 to it, and got my first statement Oct. 8th. When I was at WDW Oct. 17-24th, I went to Guest Relations at Downtown Disney to pick up a rewards card and have my $55 in points applied to it. Then I bought an annual pass and applied all $55 towards it! :)

You got it all right Nancy !!!

As a matter of fact I had about $150 on my rewards card for a trip to "World of Disney" downtown... I somehow still ended up spending an additional $150 ... I guess I am an impulse shopper LOL...

I have found that Frequent flyer miles are not a good optin for me... but I still find Starwood points to be a great value....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter