• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wanted: opinions on Magical Beginnings

yearlightbuzz

Mouseketeer
I have read and contemplated and flip flopped around on what was the best option to do in purchasing. Let me explain the evolution of my buying "thinking."

First: We were going to buy 150 w/ MB.
Second: Decided against MB & just bank all the points to use the next year.
Third: Decided we needed more points, buy 200 w/o MB.
Fourth: Buy 225 points with the Magical Beginnings.

Here's my reasoning (Yes, I want the pros and cons of it): Our 1st visit will not be until next Oct. Baby #3 coming first of July, so this year's points aren't a huge NEED (should I say WANT instead?). By using MB, I can get 225 points (maybe even a couple more) for the same price as 200 points without MB. I will make up losing the first 200 points in eight years time and this gives me 25 more points flexibility each year for relatively the same cost (dues will be more). Please don't hesitate to point out something I'm forgetting or just not aware of at this time. Thanks for your help.

First, congrats on #3!!:D

I vote for getting the most points that you can. We also have three kids. You're looking at 2 bedroom units for your stays in the not too distant future. You'll be kicking yourself for not maximizing your initial purchase.

You've been enough to have a good idea of your continued habits. Personally I'd decide how many points you need every year. You are looking at a 2 BR but may be able to get by with less early on. Look down the road. Also decide the usual timing of your visits and the lenth of visit including time of year and weekend vs weekdays. I'd buy the number of points you need every year without regards to the MB. Then if you don't need the immediate points, you could use those for MB.

Don't forget resale, you can still save some money there but buy OKW only if you'll be happy staying there and will have a car. If you're pretty set on BCV, the differences isn't enough to complicate your life but buying BWV is a good in between and is also potentially cheaper both by using less points for standard view and the resale cost savings. Buy where you want to stay most trips. You need a small cushion in terms of # of points in case they change the allocation but don't buy beyond that just to use MB, you can always buy later as an add on or resale.

I'd rather have slightly too few points, and pay cash for an odd night now and then, as opposed to have too many and be faced with either renting them to someone else or using them up in a slightly uneconomical way. I don't think MB really offers much of a "return" so I'd rather bank and borrow a smaller number of points.

We decided against buying more points. We also decided that if we wanted more time at WDW we would just pay for those nights. But we don't want to end up with more points than what we would really use in 5 or 10 years. Yes, this year, we are all excited and thrilled about DVC! We banked last year's points and have 300 to use this year, so that is super.

But, as DH pointed out, we do want other vacations. We don't want to feel we 'have' to go to WDW just because of points.

I think DVC is a fun 'hobby' (that is how we look at it). But it is expensive, when you consider the costs in points---well, it isn't cheap. I know some people use thier points for the cruise (we are too this year because we had 300 points)----but again, you can get good cash deals for the cruise that is less expensive than using points.

For us, we loved the idea of having a kitchen and washer and dryer (a 'home away from home') while at Disney World. We will only go once a year, and we usually go in September. If we go for 4 days before the 3 day cruise (which we plan to go on each year, we love the cruise) we only need 120 points for a 2 bedroom and only 88 points for a 1 bedroom (we are a family of 4, so we can use either one).

Personally, I think that each family's finances will effect their perception of the value/bargain that DVC offers. We are not wealthy, just an average middle class family with other bills to consider and college funds for my kids. DVC is a 'hobby', a special thing that brings us enjoyment---but we don't want it to become a 'burden'.

Right now our monthly fees are less than $50. We can handle that without it effecting our finances. But the more points you own, the more your monthly fee will be.

Anyway, this is a personal decision that each family has to make. Just take into account your fiances and your family's goals. I find that if DH and I both end up agreeing and we don't change our mind over a 1 week period, then that is usually the right answer for us ;) .

If one of us doesn't agree on something like this, then we don't do it.
DJ

We decided against buying more points. We also decided that if we wanted more time at WDW we would just pay for those nights. But we don't want to end up with more points than what we would really use in 5 or 10 years. Yes, this year, we are all excited and thrilled about DVC! We banked last year's points and have 300 to use this year, so that is super.

But, as DH pointed out, we do want other vacations. We don't want to feel we 'have' to go to WDW just because of points.

I think DVC is a fun 'hobby' (that is how we look at it). But it is expensive, when you consider the costs in points---well, it isn't cheap. I know some people use thier points for the cruise (we are too this year because we had 300 points)----but again, you can get good cash deals for the cruise that is less expensive than using points.

For us, we loved the idea of having a kitchen and washer and dryer (a 'home away from home') while at Disney World. We will only go once a year, and we usually go in September. If we go for 4 days before the 3 day cruise (which we plan to go on each year, we love the cruise) we only need 120 points for a 2 bedroom and only 88 points for a 1 bedroom (we are a family of 4, so we can use either one).

Personally, I think that each family's finances will effect their perception of the value/bargain that DVC offers. We are not wealthy, just an average middle class family with other bills to consider and college funds for my kids. DVC is a 'hobby', a special thing that brings us enjoyment---but we don't want it to become a 'burden'.

Right now our monthly fees are less than $50. We can handle that without it effecting our finances. But the more points you own, the more your monthly fee will be.

Anyway, this is a personal decision that each family has to make. Just take into account your fiances and your family's goals. I find that if DH and I both end up agreeing and we don't change our mind over a 1 week period, then that is usually the right answer for us ;) .

If one of us doesn't agree on something like this, then we don't do it.
DJ

Originally posted by yearlightbuzz
By using MB, I can get 225 points (maybe even a couple more) for the same price as 200 points without MB.

yearlight,

I am not certain that I am following what you say above. From what I can calculate, and correct me if I am wrong, you are saying that you can get 225 points w/MB for the same price as 200 points without?

At BCV the points now are $84/pt I believe. Multiplying that out by 200 points comes out to 16,800.

I believe the MB being offered at BCV is $5/pt, unless they have upped that. Multiplying 225 by $5 comes out to be 1,125. Subtract that off the 18,900 total that 225 points would cost you brings you down to 17,775...aproximately $900 more.

Personally, I debated the MB deal, but my guide somewhat walked me through what I would actually be saving, and for our situation it really made more sense just to bank the points and use them in the next use year.

Brian

The MB is $10.00 at VWL and BC, $15.00 at HH and VB.

I'm not going to do the math, it gives me a rash.;)

Originally posted by DemoBri1
yearlight,

I believe the MB being offered at BCV is $5/pt, unless they have upped that. Multiplying 225 by $5 comes out to be 1,125. Subtract that off the 18,900 total that 225 points would cost you brings you down to 17,775...aproximately $900 more.

Personally, I debated the MB deal, but my guide somewhat walked me through what I would actually be saving, and for our situation it really made more sense just to bank the points and use them in the next use year.

Brian

Brian,

The current BM incentives are $10 per point for BCV and VWL (100 point min) and $15 per point at HH and Vero (50 point min).

200 BCV points w/o MB is $16,800
225 BCV points w/ MB is $16,650

John

I have a MB question please.

If we bought BCV with MB what use year are now giving out? Would it be dated from 2002? In other words would the points I'm giving back be from my 2002 allotment or would it be 2003?

Thanks for any help!

Originally posted by MinnieGi
I have a MB question please.

If we bought BCV with MB what use year are now giving out? Would it be dated from 2002? In other words would the points I'm giving back be from my 2002 allotment or would it be 2003?

Thanks for any help!
To use MB you must be less than 6 months from the beginning of the use year. Sept. would likely be the earliest use year you'd be allowed to get and use the MB program. Otherwise you can chose the one you want within the 8 they offer.

I'm no expert, but I'll try to answer. I bought today with MB and Sept use year. My guide told me that the points I'm selling back are 2002 points. I made ressie for November 03 which will use my 03 points. Think I got that right!!

Sue

I am not sure that you can only use Magical Beginnings if you are 6 months or more from the beginning of your use year. You should ask your guide. When I bought 3 years ago I HAD to use Magical Beginnings even though I didn't want it, because my deed was recorded 12/31, and I had a March use year. Needless to say, I couldn't bank my points. On the plus side, I got a new set of points three months later, but I really could have used the extra 150 points. Perhaps things have changed in the last three years...:confused:

Originally posted by spoon2003
I'm no expert, but I'll try to answer. I bought today with MB and Sept use year. My guide told me that the points I'm selling back are 2002 points. I made ressie for November 03 which will use my 03 points. Think I got that right!!
Great example. Using MB doesn't mean you can't use points this year. I'd go with MB and get 225 for the price of 200.

Originally posted by Cruelladeville
I am not sure that you can only use Magical Beginnings if you are 6 months or more from the beginning of your use year. You should ask your guide. When I bought 3 years ago I HAD to use Magical Beginnings even though I didn't want it, because my deed was recorded 12/31, and I had a March use year. Needless to say, I couldn't bank my points. On the plus side, I got a new set of points three months later, but I really could have used the extra 150 points. Perhaps things have changed in the last three years...:confused:

Was that an add-on? I think the rules are more liberal for add-ons. I have a friend who bought a HH add-on a couple months before the end of her use year and used MB. I used MB when I bought in September 99 and got an April use year. At that time, the max points you could sell back on a phone purchase was 150. I bought 250, so I got a $1,500 credit and banked the other 100 points. It worked out great because I wasn't planning my first trip until May 2000, so I started out with an extra 100 points.

Originally posted by Cruelladeville
Basically the points must be bankable. For new contracts that means less than 6 months. I do not know if you can use MB on less points say at the 50% banking window of 4 months. One thing to keep in mind is that the rules do change from time to time and there have been several versions of the MB program.

I have bought new, and add-on contracts and have been told (I have used) in order to take advantage of MB, you must be within the 50% banking window.

Have fun......:cool:

We just bought points at BCV at the end of January. Our Deed records in a couple days. I just called our guide to inquire about an add-on. I guess after putting some thought into our first decision of points it was lower than what we realized we needed. Our guide said that we could buy an add on with our August use year and still use MB to sell back our points. I'd have to make my decision soon though. He said that the window would be closing soon. I'm going to call him tomorrow and give him our answer.

~Noelle

Originally posted by JohnnyII

The current BM incentives are $10 per point for BCV and VWL (100 point min) and $15 per point at HH and Vero (50 point min).

200 BCV points w/o MB is $16,800
225 BCV points w/ MB is $16,650

Hmmm!!!...I wonder if this means DVC sales are lagging a bit? I definitely know that when we bought in August that the MB reward was only $5/pt.

Guess I maybe should have waited and then gone for more points. Oh well!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter