Want to hear from LOOONG time Disney fans...

EPCOT66bye

Future World Lead
We're getting ready to visit the World for only the second time in 10 years. So, I want to hear from long-time fans about how the parks compare these days to the "good old days." What have been the coolest and best enhancements? What do you think is going to be the most unexpected or even disappointing changes since the parks of the 1990's?

We're excited to see the enhancements to both Pirates and Mansion, and of course totally new things like Toy Story Mania, Wishes and Mission: Space---though it will be tough missing Horizons! You see, the catch is that I was a cast member for 10 years (1989-1999) so every EPCOT attraction that I worked at has either disappeared or been totally renovated (yes, I used to "Listen to the Land" and I helped open Wonders of Life.)

Studios, PI, and the Grand Floridian had been open for mere months when I started and Michael Eisner was still going strong when I left (partly why, I left too, but that's another post). In fact, we didn't even have the internet really, just something called AOL (kids, ask your parents).

I'm not opposed to change, but help me "mentally" plan for visiting an almost totally new place. Here's your gimme: We're taking DS5 (never been) and DS11(been once, 6 years ago), so I'm sure we'll have a fantastic time introducing them to Disney--I just don't want to spend the whole time saying "When I used to work here..."

What'd'ya think DIS'ers?

you'll find a lot of good things have happened in the past 10 years. we have missed horizons, and food rocks (they need to get this back) - but the circle of life is a good add, the living seas has brought back the ride portion, and the new circle visions are just as impressive (and now not so scary for the kids)

at MK having the carosel of progress beiing open again is great

at HS the new lights motor action show & toy story are good (the backstage tour is a little shorter but check out the LMA show - if it's running sometimes the guys wave to the tour)

though we miss the old attractions, it is fun to have new things to do.

I'm a long time WDW fan. I first visited the World in the 70's. I was a very little kid and I remember going to see Epcot when they were building it.

I worked there in the 90's too. I miss Horizons but Mission Space is a nice addition. And Soarin is wonderful. My whole family loves it. Haunted Mansion redo is fabulous. Also hit Toy Story Mania. :thumbsup2

Have a wondeful time.

Since you're taking two sons with you, they might like to see Mickey's PhilHarmagic if you all like 3-d type attractions.

Just a tip if you do plan on seeing that show, stay and watch Donald at the end...

I miss the movie theater on the right side of Main Street with the Disney Story (ok, it wasn't the real story, but it was cute). Of course it's a gift shop now.

On the left side of main street there was a small alley way that (during Christmas) had a cute red sled with poinsettias around it that you could take family pictures in. Of course it's a gift shop now.

The fast pass is good and bad. Continuous rides like Peter Pan that had decent lines have ridiculously long lines.

But you can get a fast pass for space mountain (not right now because it's being refurbished) and come back and walk on the ride.

WDW has some phenomenal restaurants that you should try and take advantage of if possible. I mean if possible because if you don't book your ADR's when the window opens you might be eating meals at 3 or 9 or not at a sit down at all.

The park is still clean and family friendly. I still get the warm and fuzzies walking down main Street (I'm 42 and having been coming since I was 4).

We're getting ready to visit the World for only the second time in 10 years. So, I want to hear from long-time fans about how the parks compare these days to the "good old days." What have been the coolest and best enhancements? What do you think is going to be the most unexpected or even disappointing changes since the parks of the 1990's?

We're excited to see the enhancements to both Pirates and Mansion, and of course totally new things like Toy Story Mania, Wishes and Mission: Space---though it will be tough missing Horizons! You see, the catch is that I was a cast member for 10 years (1989-1999) so every EPCOT attraction that I worked at has either disappeared or been totally renovated (yes, I used to "Listen to the Land" and I helped open Wonders of Life.)

Studios, PI, and the Grand Floridian had been open for mere months when I started and Michael Eisner was still going strong when I left (partly why, I left too, but that's another post). In fact, we didn't even have the internet really, just something called AOL (kids, ask your parents).

I'm not opposed to change, but help me "mentally" plan for visiting an almost totally new place. Here's your gimme: We're taking DS5 (never been) and DS11(been once, 6 years ago), so I'm sure we'll have a fantastic time introducing them to Disney--I just don't want to spend the whole time saying "When I used to work here..."

What'd'ya think DIS'ers?

The thing that I've been a bit saddened about over the years is the decrease of spontaneous character interaction. When I was little, they kind of roamed around certain areas and you didn't have to wait an hour in line to meet them and get an autograph.

There are some things I miss, like the Fantasy-Tomorrowland Skyway, but for the most part I've been happy with the direction the parks have gone in. They have added a lot of really awesome rides since I first started going to WDW in the late 80's.

I think there will be some things you will miss....but there is so much more to discover that you haven't seen before, so I don't think you'll have much time to dwell on what used to be.

Have fun! :wizard:

I miss the bus at Epcot with the Characters.

Other than that, I think it's still good! Heck, it's WDW!

With that said I am going to take a lot of photos of the Dumbo ride.
I saw they will be changing it and I want to remember it as the sweet, simple ride it is now.

Lisa

I personally don't think that Mission Space is anywhere close to being as fun as Horizons was. It's in a cool building though. Journey Into Imagination is a mess now. Soarin' is a great ride. Test Track is fun. A big loss to me was the cutbacks in entertainment though. There aren't nearly as many musical acts and so on as there used to be IMO and that's all throughout WDW.

MK is still as lovely as ever I think. Main Street is just shops but the outside remains gorgeous. Pirates has Captain Jack in it and the Haunted Mansion is better than ever.

I really miss River Country and Discovery Island:goodvibes :thumbsup2 :) Danny

as Walt himself said ... it isnt a museum! :goodvibes there have been some good changes and some bad changes. i think the other posters did a good job of stating some major differences.
obviously ... DTD is WAY different as well. Pleasure Island's clubs have all been closed but there are some new restaurants and the princess diana exhibit down that way.
in the marketplace of dtd ... im pretty sure that is all completely different than you remember! lots of shops... rainforest cafe, goofys candy company (is awesome!!) tren-d, ect.

Try not to think about what's missing from your days there - but all that is new:

Mickey's Philharmagic (Awesome)
Haunted Mansion refurb (Excellent)
Monster's Inc Laugh Floor (kids will love it, though I miss the timekeeper a bit)
Soarin' (Neat - but not nearly as good as advertised)
"The Seas" changes will probably be "eh" to you, but your sons will love it, especially the little one...check out Turtle Crush.
Expedition Everest is a great ride with an awesome theme
Mission Space is pretty cool - but not for the faint at heart, though the non-spinning side is OK.
Toy Story MM will be a big hit with the family.
Crush n' Gusher at TL, if you hit the water parks. A water coaster that is loads of fun, though a tad short.

Most likely negative - "Holy c**p is everything expensive!"

You were a CM till '99, so...

Let's see what hasn't already been mentioned.....

You've done AK in it's early stages.....
Make sure to See Nemo, the musical (that theatre was Jungle Book back then)
and Everest
and Dino-land... the boys will love it even though people say it's lame.... it's a lot of fun for the kids!

MGM is now DHS as I'm sure you know! ;)
But was Rock N Roller Coaster there? It opened July '99.
OMG.... you haven't seen the BIG HAT! lots of different opinions on that!
Check out Toy Story Mania; Lights, Motors Action;
the Hunchback show is gone.... very sad!:sad2:
take some time to enjoy the new scenery back there though. and hopefully you'll catch "Mulch, Sweat and Shears" they are a lot of fun to watch.

Epcot.....
ugghh.... The biggest disappointment...... you will see those stupid "tomb stones" in front of SSE. Try to just ignore them and walk quickly past them!!! head to Test Track!!
If your last visit was before Oct '99, then Illuminations will be a HUGE NOT-TO-BE-MISSED!!! It's definitely the best night-time show!!

I will think of more.......

Most likely negative - "Holy c**p is everything expensive!"

Yeah, I can't believe the ticket prices these days. I think it was only in the $30's for a one day when I started. With the 5/2 or 4/3 discount, the package pricing has been reasonable, but we're not even doing that since we have a box full of old comp tickets that we plan to use instead.

We're definitely looking forward to all the new stuff. I guess i was more wondering about the atmosphere in the parks...like the cutbacks in entertainment or the characters. Actually, even using Fastpass will be different since I haven't done that much.

The weirdest part is how people rave about things that weren't thought of much in my day (Le Cellier wasn't even open, I don't think, and now it's the best place to eat??!!--What happened to Alfredo's or the Paris Bistro?)

The times they are a changin'

OMG..... Pin Stations everywhere!!!!
It's awesome if you are a big pin collector.... but a bit much.
However this past July it seemed they finally took some out.

Also.... make sure to spend a day at DownTown Disney. It changes a bit every year!!!

You will definitely notice some what of a change in the atmosphere.
but WDW was built to be ever-changing, so don't expect it to be the same.

some things I notice from long ago...
the CM don't all wear ride-specific costumes.... (what did you wear?). It's a bit more universal.

There are a lot more shops... they stuck them in places that used to be just "themed" areas to sit or relax. such as all those pin stations!!

The big trees in front of Cinderella Castle are gone! so that you can see the castle and fireworks from all the way down Main Street. But I miss those trees and the sparkly lights!!!! :(
It almost gives it a "concrete" feel.

Another thing - people always complain about the changes - but would any of us really want to go there if it was EXACTLY THE SAME as it was 10 years ago?

SkierPete

Another thing - people always complain about the changes - but would any of us really want to go there if it was EXACTLY THE SAME as it was 10 years ago?

SkierPete

Absolutely! As I said, I'm looking forward to some of the changes. I've heard good things about, well, a lot of things. I'm looking forward to pin trading, for example. I would have loved doing that as a cast member. And I remember thinking how fantastic Buzz Lightyear's Astro-Blaster was when we went back in 2004. But then I hear about Stitch's Great Escape or what they did to Imagination and I cringe (or taking the trees out of the hub!! I LOVED those twinkle lights, too, Cindyfan!!)

I guess it comes and goes...

No one has mentioned If You Had Wings is gone, so sad one of my entire families favorites. Like a previous poster said if it just always stayed the same would we still want to go every year? No but we do miss the old sites and sounds. I really do like the improvements on HM and POTC, they did a really good job I like it better now than before. Stitch stinks!!!!!!!!! Don't even waste your time. There was a 5 minute wait for Stitch and a 60 minute wait for SM and at least 30 for everything else around it so that should tell you it's bad. Hope you like the new things going on and have fun.

Hi Rob,

A "lurker" here, but thought I'd post a reply to find out what part of Richmond you live in? My wife and I live in Richmond, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter