Want deluxe, want to pay value

In another post you made it sound like you want to take it kind of easy and take some breaks, which might make off-site a bit time consuming for you. Also, I'm not sure what time of year you are thinking of going, but take into consideration the traffic you might have to face when you hit the parking lots.

Great points. If you are going during a low season (especially around January), park hours are shorter and so is daylight, so any extra travel time is more significantly time consuming than if you were going in say July.

This is untrue. Let's say you drove... valet at the resort walking distance to the park. Then 15 minutes to WH or other similarly close off site locations: 20-25 each way. Let's say you are onsite value or mod..wait for transportation from park and ride...20-25 minutes each way. It is the same. Can there be traffic...yes can there be long waits for a bus/ monorail...yes, but it is the same for both. I just got back from WH and not once did we hit traffic. We were at a park or resort every day of our one week vacation and at varying times.

At MK, you also have to factor in the trip through TTC which can be messy and time consuming, especially after Wishes and/or during a busy season.

Thank you ALL for this thread!!!! It was INCREDIBLY helpful!! We are staying at the Poly! I put pen to paper and as long as we get FD, the cost is virtually the same as staying off site, and just a tad cheaper to stay at AofA (because I would upgrade our dining if we stayed value). We'll just stay in a Garden View room (would have to stay in a suite at AofA). I.CANNOT.WAIT!!!!

Yay :cool1: You will not regret it! We stayed off-site once and we said never again. Occasionally we will for a few days before moving onsite, but never totally offsite, it's just not the same! :thumbsup2

At MK, you also have to factor in the trip through TTC which can be messy and time consuming, especially after Wishes and/or during a busy season.

That is a good point. And if you like to stay until park close, the parking lots are usually a mess. For some reason the drive back to the resort always seems to take way longer than the drive to the parks.

Also, many resorts are closer to the parks than 20-25 minutes. POR/POFQ are a 10 minute ride away from Epcot. The All Stars are 10 minutes way from the Animal Kingdom Park. Plus you don't then have to spend time parking the car, and waiting for the shuttle to pick you up and drive you to the park entrance. You are just a short walk away!

As you have made this statement as fact, can I ask what your source is?:confused3

If Disney was having trouble filling up their rooms they would be offering more discounts than they are. They would also not have spent money on adding rooms as they have. I don't doubt some people who used to stay on site are now staying off, but I bet the opposite is true too.

Judging from the number of hotels in Orlando I would conclude that staying offsite has always been more popular. This is a Disney resort board so obviously the people that post on this board stay onsite. I think overall most WDW visitors are in offsite resorts.

Not if you valet at CR like we did. Leave park, walk to car be home in 15 minutes. I don't know how long it takes from TTC we did valet both days we were at MK.

I see OP has picked the Poly...I think you will have an amazing vacation. We had a lot of fun when we were there...even though we didn't sleep there. It is a beautiful resort:goodvibes

Thank you ALL for this thread!!!! It was INCREDIBLY helpful!! We are staying at the Poly! I put pen to paper and as long as we get FD, the cost is virtually the same as staying off site, and just a tad cheaper to stay at AofA (because I would upgrade our dining if we stayed value). We'll just stay in a Garden View room (would have to stay in a suite at AofA). I.CANNOT.WAIT!!!!

Great choice! We are doing our first stay at a deluxe (Poly!) in August - I am so excited that I finally talked DW into upgrading from the POR to the Poly. If it weren't for my discount, we would have never been able to afford Poly, though. So I will really cherish this trip.

(I know a great TA who can help you with that!) ;) :)

Not if you valet at CR like we did. Leave park, walk to car be home in 15 minutes. I don't know how long it takes from TTC we did valet both days we were at MK.

I see OP has picked the Poly...I think you will have an amazing vacation. We had a lot of fun when we were there...even though we didn't sleep there. It is a beautiful resort:goodvibes

You valet at a resort you are not staying at? Shame on you! :laughing::rotfl:

We own at the Marriott Grande Vista on International drive and never stay there -always onsite. Oh well my DH knew that when we bought it.LOL!

Linda

We've stayed off-site many vacations and some of those were out favorite trips. We stayed with family in Orange Lake a few times and we loved the days that we didn't go to the parks. We loved their pools and had great restaurants all over Orlando to pick from. I would only say that if you're going to parks everyday you may want to be at Disney. It's quicker and easier. Other than that I don't see any reason to regret being off-site.

http://storytimeorlandorental.com/

Here you go!!! If you book I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. The only real complaint I could make is that the carpet was worn in couple of places, but otherwise the place was super clean(and I am very anal about being clean) and you are immersed in WDW decorations. The owner was great to work with and responds very quickly. The rest of the resort was very quiet and well kept. Even a great park for the kids to play at. They also do have transportation to the parks, but we never used it so cannot comment on that.

Wanted to add we stayed at the Storytime Kingdom :)

Holy mother of awesomeness!!! I want to go with family or friends and stay here!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Several years ago my vote was on site, but Disney keeps raising prices. They think their hotels are 5star but i have been lucky enough stay in true Deluxe hotels and Disney is a 3 star hotel charging Deluxe pricing. Service, features etc. Don't add up

Same is true for the values and mods. Outside corridors, small rooms, so so service. Just way overpriced. Once you remove the "cute" you realize the value hotel is a cinder block hotel.

I am now off site. I no longer feel magic on site I feel ripped off.

I always drive and except for the MK there is no significant time difference between my commute to my Lake Buena Vista hotel and my on site hotel.

We have stayed onsite at Poly and WL and offsite at Sheraton Vistana. Whilst we loved the WL and enjoy the benefits of onsite, the Vistana cost $170 for a huge two bedroom apartment, recently renovated and we never had trouble with parking or driving. We travelled in Sept so that may effect how offsite and onsite compare.

We also want to enjoy other areas of Orlando so like having a car, so need to escape the disney bubble now and then.

It is really hard for us to justify paying more than double to stay onsite, in dramattically smaller rooms, with one bathroom. Having the monorail or disney busses just doesnt compete with that.

We truly love disney, but do agree that the prices for disney rooms is getting too high for the quality and size of the rooms.

We have stayed onsite at Poly and WL and offsite at Sheraton Vistana. Whilst we loved the WL and enjoy the benefits of onsite, the Vistana cost $170 for a huge two bedroom apartment, recently renovated and we never had trouble with parking or driving. We travelled in Sept so that may effect how offsite and onsite compare.
The OP is traveling in September too. I stayed in a 4-BR house 10 minutes away from WDW for a whole week for a little more that the OP is spending on 2 nights at the Polynesian. If I didn't own at DVC I probably wouldn't be able to afford to stay on-site anymore. $422 per night for the Polynesian?!? The prices are crazy expensive!

I have similar thoughts sometime! Sometimes I want a little luxury at a value resort price:cloud9:. Sometimes I just do exactly that and stay offsite.

I might look into Hilton Bonnet Creek - it is practically on site (provides its' own transport shuttle to the parks) - very nice, lazy river pool. The only downside are the extra charges - resort fees, taxes, parking - however if you know all the costs going into it - it is easier to make a decision. The last time I was looking Hilton Bonnet Creek came out to $20 more than Pop would have been for the same time. The Ritz, Waldorf Astoria, JW Marriott GL all offer deluxe experiences for a moderate/low end deluxe price.

Not only is there a daily resort fee of $24 but also a $14 daily parking fee and the busses are few and slow. I agree it is more deluxe for a less price but if you don't have a car it can be very hard to move around and if you have a car factor in the extra $$$

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Oh yes, the "fee" argument.

9/18 to 9/22 Prices per Expedia

Disney "Deluxe"
Beach Club $320
Yacht Club $264
Contemporay $278
Poly $354!!!!! (REALLY LOL!)

Other options
Swan or Dolphin $199. (You get the exact same Disney transport as the BC and YC except for the "free" ride to and from the airport)
Hilton LBV $139 (Has EMH)
Hilton Bonnet Creek $169

Hmm... looks to me like as long as the fees are less then $65 a night then the "non Disney" always come out cheaper (YC rate compared to Swan/Dolphin rate)

Sure with the Swan and Dolphin you have to get yourself to Disney but.. unless it's a two day visit it's hard to see how it's going to cost "more" and you get a much nicer bed :) So you don't have to factor in a "car" you just have to factor in roundtrip to the airport. Over the course of my mythical 4 night stay you saved $260. I think the resort fee is around $20 a day so $80. So if you can get too and from the airport for less then $180 you come out ahead. (Plus you get a better bed and a real rewards program.)

IMHO the Swan and Dolphin are the best deal out there. Equal to the Disney "deluxe" not really a "deluxe" hotel but a good hotel. Same location benefits as the Disney Epcot resorts, full use of Disney transport etc...

Oh yes, the "fee" argument.

9/18 to 9/22 Prices per Expedia

Disney "Deluxe"
Beach Club $320
Yacht Club $264
Contemporay $278
Poly $354!!!!! (REALLY LOL!)

Other options
Swan or Dolphin $199. (You get the exact same Disney transport as the BC and YC except for the "free" ride to and from the airport)
Hilton LBV $139 (Has EMH)
Hilton Bonnet Creek $169

{snip}

IMHO the Swan and Dolphin are the best deal out there. Equal to the Disney "deluxe" not really a "deluxe" hotel but a good hotel. Same location benefits as the Disney Epcot resorts, full use of Disney transport etc...

The Swolphin is actually only $179 per night thru the link at the top of this board. Once you factor in taxes and the resort fee it's still half the price of the Poly.

Not only is there a daily resort fee of $24 but also a $14 daily parking fee and the busses are few and slow. I agree it is more deluxe for a less price but if you don't have a car it can be very hard to move around and if you have a car factor in the extra $$$
I have stayed at the Poly and at the Swolphin and the bus situation is just about the same between the two. The Poly shares with the other MK resorts and the Swolphin shares with the other Epcot resorts. I agree they are not plentiful and super fast like the Value resorts, but they are perfectly adequate. There is really no need for a car. We stay at BWV often and usually leave our car parked in the lot for most of the trip. You can take the boat or walk to Epcot and DHS and no one in their right mind would drive to the MK parking lot and take a tram to the monorail/boat when the buses drop right outside the gate. The only park where I might consider driving v/s taking a bus is AK and frankly it's not a big deal to take the bus there either.

FTR the Swolphin resort fee is $17+tax and self parking is $15+tax.

Several years ago my vote was on site, but Disney keeps raising prices. They think their hotels are 5star but i have been lucky enough stay in true Deluxe hotels and Disney is a 3 star hotel charging Deluxe pricing. Service, features etc. Don't add up

The 3 rules in real estate: location, location, location. No one would sensibly pay WDW hotel prices if it wasn't because they were AT WDW. As our 8yo DD gets older I'm expecting (hoping) to sample more of Orlando outside WDW gates on subsequent vacations. Right now, location wins.

Everyone has a way they enjoy doing WDW, my family nor I would be happy staying off site.

For us it's the whole experience, we get to stay in the " Disney bubble" we won't step in our car during those 8 days but to drive to DTD & to POR for a carriage ride.

One of the reasons we stay at the Poly is the location, the view, the monorail & we just adore this resort, the ambiance the landscaping, the music, food, shopping, for us it's all amazing!!

We take mid day swim breaks ( just 2 adults) and it really breaks our long hot park day up & makes the experience so much more relaxing! Staying MK area also greatly cuts transportation time!

That being said in Dec we stayed at POR & really enjoyed it as well but b/c of transportation time we stayed in parks longer with not so many breaks..

If saving money is the priority I'd do mod or value but yea you could stay off site & save even more..

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013

I used to be a deluxe girl, and never wanted to stay anywhere else. Then last year I got some unexpected time off and literally had two weeks to plan a vacation. It was too late for any special offers, so I opted for the Dolphin, which was $139/night! I'm totally converted now. The decor isn't as pretty as some of the deluxe resorts, but other than that, the experience was exactly the same. I just can't see paying those outrageous prices anymore. I'd have to get a HUGE discount to go back to a monorail resort now. I used to be one to claim I'd never stay anywhere else but deluxe, but now I know that you should try it before you decide against it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter