Wand questions - Game during Harry Potter Event?

Raya

DIS Veteran
We are considering attending the Harry Potter event in January.

I've heard from some sources that there is a "Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom" style game that is played with wands you need to buy in the park.

I've also heard that the wands are bought as part of a show and do nothing - they're just for display. It's unlikely than an adult will be picked to be part of the show, because it's geared toward kids.

Does anyone know which is true? And if it is the first one, can we buy wands an eBay instead of at the park? We don't need more stuff in our lives, and wouldn't buy wands just to display them. If they let us rent wands to play the game I'd be happy to do that too. Also, if it is the first one, would they have the game running during the Harry Potter event or shut it down due to crowds?

There is a small show at both Ollivanders wand shops. There is one in Hogsmeade and one in Diagon Alley.
During the show someone is picked from the standing crowd and goes through the same paces Harry went through when his wand was chosen for him during the first Potter movie.

Remember the wand chooses the wizard.

You can buy the interactive wands at the big Universal store at CityWalk, and inside the big stores at the entrance to both parks as well as the Potter parks. These are specific wands that belonged to the characters in the Potter movies as well as others.

The interactive wands have a map included which shows you were the spell locations are located in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. There are medal medallions on the ground in front of these sites.

The first wands that came out when Hogsmeade opened were not interactive. Make sure when you purchase your wand you get the interactive wand. The TM's at the stores are very helpful.

These are very nice quality reproductions of the movie wands. It is so nice to be able to see the wands in person and choose the one you like the best.

I would wait and purchase them at the parks.

Do the show at Ollivanders at DA. Seems to be less congested.

Adults do get chosen sometimes for the show.

Don't know anything about the game your talking about. Would have to research that.

Hope this helps pixiedust:

Last edited:
There is no game. There are interactive spots that you can, um, interact with if you buy an interactive wand. There are no rentals, but you can easily just stand around the spots where you see people lined up with wands and just watch!

You can go to the Ollivanders show, which is the "wand chooses the wizard" thing you're talking about. Plenty of adults are chosen, and it's not geared towards children. It's based on the book. When that show lets out you're dumped into a gift shop where you can buy or not buy a wand etc.

Or you can skip the show and just go into a gift shop.

If I ever buy a wand it'll be the non interactive one because the interactive stuff bores me. I can watch others do it for free; the action of each interactive spot doesn't change from person to person, so IMO what's the point?

Though watching the one at the fountain in Diagon is funny because it causes water to shoot out and it often hits an unsuspecting passerby. DS and I were watching it recently and he looked at me and said "that's what that one does? I thought it was a dud when I did that one!" because it shoots water over and *behind* the spell caster. He hadn't seen it and didnt know it had worked. Too funny. Way more fun to watch, for me, than to do. :)

As for the event, apart from the private evening event for package holders, the happenings aren't held in wizarding world. They are in more out of the way spots. You might see crowds but those are people who are choosing to not attend events and are just enjoying the Wizarding worlds. But events are not right there in the Harry Potter lands, so to speak, or at least not in the public spaces.

You can go to Universal Orlando site or google the Celebration of Harry Potter 2017. It explains what will be going on during this event. Demonstrations, Q & A with some actors etc. For the die hard Potter fan looks like this would be fun. I'am not usually a package person on planning vacations, but these packages look attractive with lots of goodies included. Would have to cost out the room and meals and other freebies to see if it works.

As far as the wands go I would pay the extra few bucks and get the interactive wand.

I see people of all ages enjoying the magic spell spots with their wands. After all it's about being emersed in the fantasy of Harry Potter. Be a kid and wave your wand like a witch or wizard pixiedust:. I am never bored in Hogsmeade and especially not Diagon Alley.

Make sure to get the park to park ticket so you can ride the Hogsmeade Express between the two Potter parks.

Hopefully a fan who has been to the event will give some insider info on their take of the event.

Just a heads up, sometimes the shop windows where the interactive wands are used get busy and have long lines. The least busy place for using wands seems to be Knockturn Alley which is slight hidden away and has air conditioning.

Tigerlily is correct, there is a big difference between the HP wands at Universal and the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card game in Disney. The wands in Universal Studios/HP World allow users to do "magic" (Put armor back together, turn on a drinking fountain, animate random objects etc) at specific locations with their wand (the interactive wand is the only one that works at the magic stops), while Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is an interactive card game with a storyline/plot that takes you through different areas of the MK "fighting" villians with cards (you flash the card(s) at the screen). The wands at Universal are great fun and are numberous through both HP parks in Universal Studios, but the difference is that Sorcerers is a game with an on going plot, while the wands are standalone entertainment venues with no connecting storyline between each venue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter