Walt disneyworld College program Or college? Worth it?

roastedchickenwings

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I realize this is a disney forum but please no bias answers.

I got accepted to walt disney college program for fall advantage 2012 to do quick service food & beverage. I got exactly a day to respond to my offer before they dismiss it. I am torn between going and continuing school. :confused3. The reason I applied to begin with is CHANGE. I need CHANGE.

Is it worth missing out a semester to get the disney experience? I mean I don't mind the low pay, I love meeting new people & just having the "disney" name on my resume speaks volume. However, I heard they make you work a lot & rude guests aren't really helping either. Also, working at fast food can be a toss up. I don't own a car so getting around will be problematic as well.

I am a current sophmore in college. My intention was to transfer to a university to complete my bachelor. New environment, diverse people, a lot of opportunities? I can probably get the same experience there as I would if I participated at disney.

So my question is which route should I pursue?

If you think education has more of a priority than this internship, go ahead and drop it.

There is always the option of reapplying. I was actually planning to reapply during my last semester of college so I wouldn't have to worry about credits and whatnot since I would've graduated by the time I started being a CP.

But seeing as there is no guarantee that I'll get in again, I decided to accept the offer.

Personally, I was sort of torn since it's my second-to-the-last semester of college and I only have so much time to complete my degree according to my scholarship, making it extremely restricting. Turns out I need to be a full time student to keep my scholarship - so I'll be taking online classes while I'm a CP. I'm sure I can handle it (hopefully).

You're only a sophomore, so you still have plenty of time (which will pass by extremely fast) to reapply and/or enjoy college. To help, make an exact list of Pros and Cons from going/staying and sort out your priorities. That's what I did.

if you need more time to decide, I'm sure you could call the Recruiting team for a bit more time.

It's not that I prioritize my education over this internship. Mind you, my reason for even considering this program to begin with.

The pros of accepting this internship is it'll be my first visit out of the city. It will force me to interact and live with people from all walks of life. It will provide me fast food experience, customer service & networking. Also my resume will benefit out of it. if I manage my paycheck, I can walk out with some extra money in my pocket that I could use for future college tuition.

the cons is ill miss a semester of school.

Anyone can recommend tips? convince me TONIGHT!!!!!

It's not that I prioritize my education over this internship. Mind you, my reason for even considering this program to begin with.

The pros of accepting this internship is it'll be my first visit out of the city. It will force me to interact and live with people from all walks of life. It will provide me fast food experience, customer service & networking. Also my resume will benefit out of it. if I manage my paycheck, I can walk out with some extra money in my pocket that I could use for future college tuition.

the cons is ill miss a semester of school.

Anyone can recommend tips? convince me TONIGHT!!!!!

Well I don't think you'll leave with very much extra money. You pretty much get enough left over for things you need and then you're broke again.:goodvibes

But it seems like you want to do it based on your pros and cons list. I say go for it man but only if you know you will put 100% effort into it. If not there are people who are pended that will put 100% effort into it.

To any alumni, what did you really get out of this experience, specifically those who worked at quick service food + beverage. Thanks.

To any alumni, what did you really get out of this experience, specifically those who worked at quick service food + beverage. Thanks.

I didn't work in QSR but I did do the program. I had a similar dilemma like yours, but mine was at the end of my program, whether I should keep working at Disney or return to school.

In my eyes, the Disney College Program changed my life completely and was hands down the greatest decision I ever made. For me, I had just turned 18 when I did it, and it was my first real full time job. So part of me was annoyed while doing it because I wasn't used to working 8-9 hours a day, 5 days a week. But I stuck through it and I have never regretted it.

When I finished the program I returned back home and immediately started looking for jobs. Every job I applied for, all they wanted to talk about was the program and how awesome it must have been to work for Disney. I literally got a job offer from someone because she grew up near Disney and knew the level of service cast members provided, and if I worked for Disney then I was good enough for their hotel. No joke, that was my entire interview.

I also had the opportunity to network with executives while I was there and I shadowed several different directors and managers, who I still keep in touch with today.

Finally it told me that I truly want to work for Disney as a career. I have worked in many different areas of customer service, but nothing compares to Disney.

I would say you should go for it. Even if you don't want a career with Disney, what it will do for you in the long run is way worth taking a semester off.

Oh, and if it is important to you, increase your course load after, or take classes during the program. I took a semester off for the program (duh!) and still graduated on time.

It does look like a whole lot of fun and a great experience but I'm still hesitant. I've been considering it, but I'm concerned with wasting a whole semester of my life. Of the little reviews that I've read so far, I'm getting the idea that it's all just a big scam to get lower paying workers. Does it really mean much for my resume?

It does look like a whole lot of fun and a great experience but I'm still hesitant. I've been considering it, but I'm concerned with wasting a whole semester of my life. Of the little reviews that I've read so far, I'm getting the idea that it's all just a big scam to get lower paying workers. Does it really mean much for my resume?

I'll be a straight shooter on your last question. Yes if you do sale or customer service no if you do literally anything else.

It's not a waste of your life though it's one of those things that a lot of people wish they could do and never get a chance to.

I didn't do the college program but my sister did - twice! She loved it both times. Her first time, she worked at the Haunted Mansion in MK; the second, she was at TOT in HS. Did she make a lot of money? No, but it changed her life, literally, for the better. Before she went, she was kind of reserved and not quite sure of herself at times. I had to convince her to go to the initial interest meeting at her university. It was her first semester at college, and I wanted her to be open to exploring new things.

She went to the meeting, went to through the whole interview process, and was accepted to the program. While she was there, she met a lot of incredible people who were also in the college program, and she came out of her shell. When she came back from the program, she was like a new person. Seriously. She has such an amazing outlook on life now, and she's super adventurous. In the program, she made lifelong friends, and she had some awesome experiences.

So what if it's a way for Disney to inexpensively staff it's parks? It's not a bad company to work for, and the memories and friendships you leave the program with are worth so much more than money. It's a win-win for Disney and the program participants.

If you think you are going to "waste a whole semester of my life", Consider the things you could ACTUALLY be wasting it on. Your negative outlook may end up rolling over into the program, if you are already put off by it. Make sure you are sure!:moped:

Thanks for the responses guys but I've decided to decline the offer. Believe me, I did a lot of contemplating & reevaluating, but I concluded the program isn't right for me at this juncture. Honestly, I don't know what is holding me back. The fear I might not have the drive to finish school afterwards or the fact I'll dislike my role & not have a good time. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Disney for giving me this one in a life time opportunity. Heck, I may even end up regretting this decision. I just don't see how this opportunity cannot be accomplished at college. ( meeting new people, having fun, seeking internships/jobs, living the dormitory experience, etc.) I hope this will open up a new seat for someone who direly want this more than I do. Best of Luck!

Ps- Disney gave me 10 days prior to my invention to accept the offer. Today marks the 10th day. I used the full time, so you can probably tell my decision wasn't easy.

Question- Will I get penalize in the future for not responding back?

Thanks for the responses guys but I've decided to decline the offer. Believe me, I did a lot of contemplating & reevaluating, but I concluded the program isn't right for me at this juncture. Honestly, I don't know what is holding me back. The fear I might not have the drive to finish school afterwards or the fact I'll dislike my role & not have a good time. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Disney for giving me this one in a life time opportunity. Heck, I may even end up regretting this decision. I just don't see how this opportunity cannot be accomplished at college. ( meeting new people, having fun, seeking internships/jobs, living the dormitory experience, etc.) I hope this will open up a new seat for someone who direly want this more than I do. Best of Luck!

Ps- Disney gave me 10 days prior to my invention to accept the offer. Today marks the 10th day. I used the full time, so you can probably tell my decision wasn't easy.

Question- Will I get penalize in the future for not responding back?

Did you decline the offer, or not respond? I don't know for sure, but I am pretty sure not giving a response makes you look pretty bad. They would rather have a no, then a no response.

Also, I think you will regret the decision you made. You make your own drive. If you want to finish school, you will. You passed up a life changing opportunity, and I think you will regret it.

Best of luck to you!

I just responded back with a no to their offer. I am not giving up though. I will apply for the spring term. Say, is there a chance I could be denied this time around since I rejected their offer before? will they hold it against me? Will I have to do the entire process again? apply online, web-base interview & phone interview ?

I just responded back with a no to their offer. I am not giving up though. I will apply for the spring term. Say, is there a chance I could be denied this time around since I rejected their offer before? will they hold it against me? Will I have to do the entire process again? apply online, web-base interview & phone interview ?

Phone interview you have to do. Web based you don't have to if its been less than 6 months since you passed it. If it's been more than 6 then you have to take it again.

They're not supposed to hold it against you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter