Walt Disney World vs Disneyland

I have been to Walt Disney World probably about 15 times but I have never been to Disneyland. I am going in April with my best friend for the first time. So are WDW and DL pretty much the same? Do they have the same rides? What's better about DL? What's worse?

The best advice I can give you is to NOT compare the two. They are two completely different experiences. DL is in the middle of Anaheim, surrounded by the "real world." WDW IS its own city (so to speak).

Go and enjoy the experience for what it is not for it being like or not like the other.

The best advice I can give you is to NOT compare the two. They are two completely different experiences. DL is in the middle of Anaheim, surrounded by the "real world." WDW IS its own city (so to speak).

Go and enjoy the experience for what it is not for it being like or not like the other.

I will second this!! Whatever you do don't compare the two, there is no comparison. Enjoy your time at DLR for what it is.

:) I agree with everyone who says there is no comparing the two! My boyfriend and I are AP holders at Disneyland and go a lot and JUST got back from our very first trip to Disney World. While there are similarities in certain rides and the lay out of Magic Kingdom and Disneyland is similar, to try to compare the two would be trying to compare apples to some funky, out there, kind of vegetable like brussel sprouts hehe! :lmao:

It was funny how many people, once they learned we were from Cali would ask how Disney World compares to Disneyland and would give us a funny look when we would say there is no way to compare them.

You should experience it though. It is neat to see both ends of the spectrum and while it is nothing size wise to Disney World, the closeness of everything is also nice and you never have to wait for a bus, monorail or ferry if you are staying on property at Disneyland, everything is within walking distance.

Well, we've been to DisneyWorld many times too and really there is no comparison! with DisneyWorld you get Epcot and MGM so it's a pretty big package deal....The Magic Kingdom is only a small part of it as far as I'm concerned. DisneyLand is ALL ABOUT the Magic Kingdom! the rides are technically the same rides just presented differently. Because of the heat in florida you don't have to stand outside a lot in Que areas but they have nothing as far as facades. The outter structure of the rides at Disneyland are half of what the ride is about! you will be amazed at the difference that you see on certain rides like Pirates Of the Caribbean or Small World!
As far as this Californian is concerned you simply can't compare the Magic Kingdom in Florida with the one here but you have to go and see for yourself and just have lots of fun!
Are you going to do California Adventure too? You probably are. It's more in the style of MGM but it has a Warf area that's really nice.
Whatever you decide....it's Disney so you have to just go and have lots of fun right?:thumbsup2

Glad my DLR guide was helpful to so me of you. We are all human and no matter what we say about not comparing the two, we will at some level. But will we compare them with the underlying purpose to say that all differences are inherently bad, or will we compare with an open mind and an attitude that it is OK that differences exist?

I would also go further than saying "be careful in comparing the parks". It is not just comparing DL to MK that has pitfalls. Another pitfall is more abstract and involves comparing the way one experiences WDW to the way one experiences DLR.

There is nothing written in stone anywhere that a Disney resort must be either large or small to be enjoyable and have magic. WDW vets can get frustrated with the smallness of the DLR resort because they are accustomed to things being spread out, and miss some of the significant benefits of DLR's smallness (such as easy park access and easy parkhopping).

On the other hand, DLR vets can get frustrated with WDW's "bigness" because they are accustomed to walking distance hotels and easy parkhopping, and miss out on some of the benefits of WDW's bigness (such as more parks, water parks, dinner shows, etc.).

So in summary I would say to not only be careful in comparing the parks and their resorts, but also be careful in subconciously forcing your overall perception of what a resort should be or how it should be experienced onto the opposite resort. Because when experienced properly, the two experiences will be different. But both magical.

True, it's hard to compare the two and I definitely enjoy both. And you can't beat HydroGuy's guide. That said, here are things that make DLR stand out for me:

DL
The size--it's intimate. Oh, and I love being able to walk from DL to DCA; I just can't get over the crossing the parking lot and boom! you're there
The theming--maybe because it's small, all the details really stand out for me
New Orleans Square and PotC...I prefer to WDW, seems more coherent
Space Mountain since the refurb
Storybook Land, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn

DCA
Hard to compare b/c WDW doesn't really have this, but...
The size--it feels expansive, and it creates a nice balance with DL
The landscaping, like with Grizzly Run
Soarin' at DCA generates such good feelings
Love Grizzly Run, California Screamin', and the Disney Animation Studio

I've gone to each the same number of times and I really love both, but in different ways. But, the thing I think I love the most about DLR is as deekaypee says, it seems so much intimate and personal than WDW. Because of the smaller size, I don't feel that same need to rush from land to land to fit things in, but to actually relax and enjoy the experience more. It just seems a little less stressful to me. (That plus the humidity is so much better!) Have a great time!

I haven't been to WDW, but plan to when my kids are much older. At this point, I think everything being so spread out and with so much more do to, would stress me out.

As it is, we spend five days in the parks at DLR, four of which are usually just DL. If I were at WDW, I'd need at least two weeks to do most of it (not even all!) at the pace that we like to do things (walk back to the hotel for a swim, nap, etc.). And if we're leaving the kids with my mom at the hotel to go to dinner, I like to know that I can get back there within 15 min. if my baby (well, the baby is two as of this week so not such a baby anymore) needs me ASAP (like she won't stop crying and is driving grandma bonkers).

I feel like I might have to plan a lot better if I went to WDW. I couldn't just hop back and forth between the parks and DTD and our hotel room and be at any of them within minutes.

My dh has been to WDW (about 12 years ago was the last time) and that trip was the reason he did not want to go to our first trip to DLR. He was pleasantly surprised when did go.

Not knocking WDW, because as I said, I am looking forward to when my kids are older and we can go.:banana: Though dh thinks we should skip Epcot alltogether, LOL.

If you like Disney it's all good. I live in Florida but am orginally from So. Cal. We do WDW about three times a year about 5-7 days each trip. DL once a year, one to two days. If I had to pick a favorite between the two I couldn't do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter