• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walt Disney World Ticket Price Increase Coming;

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/01/walt-disney-world-ticket-price-increase-coming-water-park-hopper-option-being-added-no-expiration-to-be-discontinued/ To no one’s surprise, Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort ticket prices are expected to see a small increase again in mid-February 2015. No exact pricing could be obtained yet, but some interesting changes coming to tickets were discovered.
They said last time that no expiration tickets would be going the way of yesterland so I guess well have to wait and see.

The largest change will be the discontinuation of the “no expiration” ticket option, which allows you to keep an unused days on your Disney Parks tickets. Obviously, those who already have this option on a ticket will still have them honored, but the option will no longer be given to guests come next month.

So I was just today considering buying 10-day hopper/water park no-expiration tickets before a price increase, even though we won't need them until Sept or later.

Now I see this. It makes me want to purchase the no-expiration ticket now, but what will happen if the no-expiration ticket isn't linked to my account before Disney drops the option? Will I still be able to link the unused no-expiration ticket after they discontinue them?

I could try to purchase and link it right away, before the option disappears, but I have an AP that's in play until Sept--I'm not sure I trust Disney IT department to do the "right thing" when I magicband my way into a park between now and Sept. (That is, I'm not sure I trust them to allow access via my AP instead of automatically deducting a day off my 10-day pass.)

Do you think there's a risk here, or am I just overthinking this?

So I was just today considering buying 10-day hopper/water park no-expiration tickets before a price increase, even though we won't need them until Sept or later.

Now I see this. It makes me want to purchase the no-expiration ticket now, but what will happen if the no-expiration ticket isn't linked to my account before Disney drops the option? Will I still be able to link the unused no-expiration ticket after they discontinue them?

I could try to purchase and link it right away, before the option disappears, but I have an AP that's in play until Sept--I'm not sure I trust Disney IT department to do the "right thing" when I magicband my way into a park between now and Sept. (That is, I'm not sure I trust them to allow access via my AP instead of automatically deducting a day off my 10-day pass.)

With the kind of money you need to put out for the pass, it's always good to be careful. Disney will honor the pass(es) even if you don't have them connected to your account. Even if you keep them for 10 years before connecting them. They've always been very good with honoring older passes according to the terms.

Between my son who used to work ticketing, another DISboard member who has helped many (and now moved on to other work) and the CMs I've encountered in the Ticket offices, you'll be fine. For every one CM who has no idea what they're doing, there are at least another 2 who do. But just to keep issues from happening, I'd keep the passes in a security box and not on my profile until my AP expired.

So I was just today considering buying

I have never understood why anyone would buy the no expiration option. Let's say you bought a 10 day ticket park hopper with no expiration. That's $1050.

Now let's assume you bought two 5 day park hopper passes separately:

That's $345/ea, for a total of $690. A savings of $360 over buying a 10 day pass with no expiration.

If you had bought a season pass, you could go an an unlimited amount of times for something like $675. In addition, the annual pass saves you $17/day on parking and gets you discounts on food and other purchases, so the actual cost (even if you only consider the parking discount which for 10 days is $170, making the real cost of your annual pass even if you only use it for 10 days only $505).

Why in the world would you pay for the no expiration option?????

--Lee

I'm a little confused. We have one day left on tickets from 2005 that were non expiring, does this new rule mean that they won't honor the tickets? Or does this mean they will not be selling non expiring tickets anymore?

I have never understood why anyone would buy the no expiration option. Let's say you bought a 10 day ticket park hopper with no expiration. That's $1050.

That's $345/ea, for a total of $690. A savings of $360 over buying a 10 day pass with no expiration.

If you had bought a season pass, you could go an an unlimited amount of times for something like $675. In addition, the annual pass saves you $17/day on parking and gets you discounts on food and other purchases, so the actual cost (even if you only consider the parking discount which for 10 days is $170, making the real cost of your annual pass even if you only use it for 10 days only $505).

--Lee

I live in Orlando and when family comes to visit we'll hit the park for a day or two. In the long run, a 10 day park hopper than can last you at least 5 trips is more cost efficient. Also, don't give Disney too much credit on their food discounts. In comparison to Universal's annual pass Disney is far from generous as only select restaurants offer the discount (with time restraints) and absolutely no discounts at counter service like Universal.

Even before I moved here, we would hit a different vacation (like a cruise) and head to Orlando for a day or two at the park since we were in the area. So it seems there will be less Disney trips when I have friends and family in town.

I'm a little confused. We have one day left on tickets from 2005 that were non expiring, does this new rule mean that they won't honor the tickets? Or does this mean they will not be selling non expiring tickets anymore?

It just means that they won't sell anymore; they will honor tickets already sold.

--Lee

There is one good reason. Waterpark. If you get a 10 day pass with waterpark you get 10 non expiring waterpark admission which cost like $50 each and can be used like once a year for 10 years. Not to mention if you go on three trips with the same 10 day ticket its far cheaper to have a 10 day pass non expiring than a 3 day 3 day and 4 day pass

Not to mention if you go on three trips with the same 10 day ticket its far cheaper to have a 10 day pass non expiring than a 3 day 3 day and 4 day pass

Wrong. A 3-day pass is $326.85 and a 4-day pass is $345, total $998.70. A non-expiring 10-day pass is $1079 (no waterparks).

If waterparks are important to you, then in the scenario you mention it would be cheaper, assuming you really used these admissions in the way you say.

With the kind of money you need to put out for the pass, it's always good to be careful. Disney will honor the pass(es) even if you don't have them connected to your account. Even if you keep them for 10 years before connecting them. They've always been very good with honoring older passes according to the terms.

Between my son who used to work ticketing, another DISboard member who has helped many (and now moved on to other work) and the CMs I've encountered in the Ticket offices, you'll be fine. For every one CM who has no idea what they're doing, there are at least another 2 who do. But just to keep issues from happening, I'd keep the passes in a security box and not on my profile until my AP expired.

Thanks twinklebug! This seems like sound advice. Also, thank you for the ticket link. I'd found a pretty good deal at Undercover Tourist, but your site is even a bit cheaper. :goodvibes

I agree that the best ticket option depends entirely on how frequently you visit, how many park days you plan for each visit, and whether you want the water parks. I've used every type of ticket option at one time or another, and carefully consider our different options for each new circumstance.

And with this price increase I wonder how long it will be before we hear of yet another attraction closure, or something going down for most of the year for an 'extensive refurbishment'.

Honestly, they should really be considering a price decrease, not an increase, especially for the 3 little sister parks...

We're going in April ... can/should I buy my tickets (5 day base) now to avoid the price increase? Link them to MDX now? Will they be valid?

LOL. Disney is raising prices... surprise, surprise (not!!) from what I can tell on the All ears site Disney has been lately raising the prices about 5-7 dollars each year.

They might as well raise the prices around 50% to try and quell some of the crowds a bit. I think everybody agrees the parks are just too crowded all of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter