• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

We were just there, no line at the Pools at S&D..... but it did get crowded.

But things are changing.... government officials are relaxing rules, and more folks are wanting to travel. How that will affect hotel bookings and even Disney capacity and hours????

I think a visit today is different than a couple months ago, in a few more months... maybe even more different as rules are relaxed and capacity increased.

I stayed at the Swan/Dolphin years ago and thought it was very nice. It was a bit cheaper than the equivalent Disney Resort. Now it is A LOT cheaper than the equivalent Disney Resort. Any reasons why? Is the quality down?

Hello, we will be staying at the Swan mid-June for one night before moving to BC. We want to rope drop AK and am wondering best plan for transportation. We will have our own vehicle, so do we:
1) leave car at Swan and walk to BW or YC/BC to catch a bus
2) drive to AK
3) drive over to BC early and park our car and take the bus - not sure how early security will let us into the parking lot at BC.

Thanks in advance for the advice
We were on the first BW bus to AK, and the drivers were already let in that day.

We were on the first BW bus to AK, and the drivers were already let in that day.

That happened to us at YC last October. We were out there at the crack of dawn along with three others and waited and waited and waited. First bus finally arrived at 8:20 a.m. for a 9:00 opening. By the time we arrived, the cars were entering, security was backed up and the FOP queue was already at 80 minutes. We were pretty ticked since we were where we needed to be well before the time necessary and were let down by the Disney bus system. Moral to the story--there is no guarantee you are going to be further ahead walking to BW or YC?BC versus riding the Mears transport at Swan/Dolphin.

I stayed at the Swan/Dolphin years ago and thought it was very nice. It was a bit cheaper than the equivalent Disney Resort. Now it is A LOT cheaper than the equivalent Disney Resort. Any reasons why? Is the quality down?
The Disney hotels have gone way up.
Agreed. It is that the pricing of the actual hotels owned by Disney have gone through the roof.

No, I wouldn't say the quality is down. Both hotels have undergone extensive renovations in the last 3 years. I would say that the S&D have significantly increased in cost but they just haven't been able to keep up with the Disney offerings. Disney is insane right now due to built up demand and limited inventory.

For example, I just called the S&D reservation to add the "parlor" portion of the Grand Suite to the 2 rooms I had already reserved through points at the Swan. 3 years ago this was a $200/night upcharge. Now it is a $265/night upcharge.

Although rooms at the Swan and Dolphin are cheap right now at the end of Covid, if I paid cash for my rooms next year they would have been $365/night, which is the highest I can remember.

How are the bath towels at The Swan? Some Marriott/Westin are great, some are sandpaper.

That happened to us at YC last October. We were out there at the crack of dawn along with three others and waited and waited and waited. First bus finally arrived at 8:20 a.m. for a 9:00 opening. By the time we arrived, the cars were entering, security was backed up and the FOP queue was already at 80 minutes. We were pretty ticked since we were where we needed to be well before the time necessary and were let down by the Disney bus system. Moral to the story--there is no guarantee you are going to be further ahead walking to BW or YC?BC versus riding the Mears transport at Swan/Dolphin.
We actually were on the bus to AK by 645, by the time we got to AK just after 7, the cars were already let in. We were in line at FOP about 40 people back. Just wanted the OP to know that driving is a good option.

Now it is A LOT cheaper than the equivalent Disney Resort. Any reasons why? Is the quality down?
You got good input above but the real reason the Swan & Dolphin are currently very well priced (discounted) is due to the lack of Conferences and Business travel. With a Conference these resorts will often be $500-$600 per night or even higher.

Discounts are used to fill otherwise unsold inventory.

Dave

You got good input above but the real reason the Swan & Dolphin are currently very well priced (discounted) is due to the lack of Conferences and Business travel. With a Conference these resorts will often be $500-$600 per night or even higher.

Discounts are used to fill otherwise unsold inventory.

Dave

Well the Cheer Squads are back, only a matter of time for Business Travel.... unless the bean counters figure out that ZOOM or virtual conferences are good enough. ;)

I was planning to book at Swan or Dolphin mid September to meet a friend- Swan is sold out and Dolphin is showing rates for over $1000/night- I’ve never seen that before. Thought it was a mistake- tried calling but after 20 minutes on hold gave up and booked BWI which is now open for booking regular rooms. If S/D rooms become available for a rate that is more consistent with usual-$200-$300, I’ll book there. Anyone else see crazy high rates for mid September?

I was planning to book at Swan or Dolphin mid September to meet a friend- Swan is sold out and Dolphin is showing rates for over $1000/night- I’ve never seen that before. Thought it was a mistake- tried calling but after 20 minutes on hold gave up and booked BWI which is now open for booking regular rooms. If S/D rooms become available for a rate that is more consistent with usual-$200-$300, I’ll book there. Anyone else see crazy high rates for mid September?
I just looked for Sept. 12-17 (random dates) and a standard two double beds is $257 member flexible per night. The highest rate I saw was $308

Dates?

I did 10th - 18th, Dolphin is $240 without any discounts....

Have seen their booking engine do some crazy things.... for a bit out dates were over $600 but a few days later they were back to normal.

Does anyone have a good direct number for Dolphin? I have a reservation that can’t be canceled through the reservation line, only by the front desk or someone directly involved at dolphin in making the convention block reservations. And I keep getting transferred in circles on the phone. It’s terrible and I’ve spend so much time on this. It’s as bad as trying to call Disney! (I have emailed them but haven’t heard back from anyone either. )

We've been going to S/D for some time. The business travelers are a huge business for S/D - just look at all the high end restraunts on property (those are calling for expense accounts). But over the years, before Marriott bought SPG, there were still some amazing deals. Honestly the points for SPG was one of the best benefits out there, we managed a whole weeks stay on points. Now, Marriott has totally devalued the Bonvoy points.

But once Marriott took over it seemed the deals were getting harder and harder to find. Just last year we opted to stay at POFQ since S/D rates were higher then a Disney Moderate. There is no way I'm paying a Disney Deluxe rate I like my money to work for me.

Since Covid hit S/D has been on a roll with some amazing rates. But do be aware they use flexible pricing, as the hotel meets certain numbers prices go up, and up and point use is eliminated.

It's not a question of quality but since S/D is not owned by Disney you get some Disney "snobs" that will only stay at Disney - that's what Disney is counting on too, and why rate for their hotels are out of line compared to the immediate competition. For the location of S/D it's hard to beat the price. And yes the Heavenly Beds and Showers are amazing!

Well the Cheer Squads are back, only a matter of time for Business Travel.... unless the bean counters figure out that ZOOM or virtual conferences are good enough. ;)
I think beyond the bean counters the health and safety is going to be a factor for a while. You going on a vacation which is totally optional vs your job sending you to meetings at Disney and having some liability for your health and safety are going to be weighed in. I've been able to combine vacation with a work conference, but they are holding off for any future announcements until 2022.

Been a few years since stayed at the Swan but have booked Dolphin for this October. Am I correct in saying both have better 'quick service' options than they did 5 years ago ? The Swan basically had a kiosk selling coffees. Do either of the resorts offer a refillable mug for the duration of the stay, similar to Disney hotels ? Many thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter