Walt Disney World at Christmas?

OK, i know this question has most likely been asked lots of times here before, but i wanted to ask for myself. What is it like at Disney World at Christmas?? From what i've seen it looks pretty Magical, but can i expect it to be VERY busy, like busier than say June July time? And how is the Weather, i can understand that its not going to be as hot a Summer. I have always been mid Summer time, but for a change i think i want to plan for Xmas. Thanks.

Really depends on when you go. Usually the week(s) just before Christmas are not to bad. From around December 22 through New Years can be very crowded. Pricing at the resorts will double at this time also.:santa:

Agreed. The cold snaps do occur though-we had a few last XMAS, we stay about 10 days so odds of good weather go up, a 4 day stay can be a little riskier. Plus Minnesota prepares you very well. But those nice days make up for it all-just makes it the best.

Orlando:

December
Average high temperature: 72.9
Average low temperature: 51.3
Average precipitation: 2.15
Average humidity (1pm): 57
Record high (1978): 90
Record low (1983): 20

Nice to know - family trip planner for Dec.

Orlando:

December
Average high temperature: 72.9
Average low temperature: 51.3
Average precipitation: 2.15
Average humidity (1pm): 57
Record high (1978): 90
Record low (1983): 20

Wow that is Summer weather here :cool2:

Welcome, never done a cruise-really need to one day and agree with your cruise logic. 4 days at BLT to the NY would be great-you could plan on the NYE preview the 30th at midnight-same exact as NYE but you can arrive later and still get in. That way you can do a different park before that. As for NYE though-you would need to get in early if doing MK, but if you did it the 30th-you could watch from your room or on BLT on NYE-would really look great from there since they are not just behind the castle. Or you could mono (maybe) to EPCOT and get in there on NYE a little easier, then MAYBE mono back after.

In 2009, we were at Disney Dec 27th-Jan 1st. Will never do it again! It was beautiful, but to see the Christmas decs again, we'd either go early Dec or right after they put them up. We stayed at BLT, which was wonderful. However, the parks were extremely crowded. They weather was nice... Jeans/tshirts/light weight jackets. MK hit max capacity for 3 days. Epcot hit it 1 day. We had reservations at BBB for DD and then at Cinderellas castle on NYE for Dinner. We spent the entire day there because we were concerned about getting back in, even though most days, we would take a mid-day break because DS needed a nap. After dinner, we decided we would head back to BLT and watch fireworks there, as we had a Castle view room. Most AWESOME fireworks show I have ever seen! On NYE, Disney shoots the MK fireworks from about 10-12 different spots inside and outside of the park. There were literally so many that the building was vibrating. Anyway, to get out of MK on NYE, you couldn't go down mainstreet because at 8:00 it was packed shoulder to shoulder. They had it roped off to exit going thru land of tomorrow and then walking thru the back lots/loading areas/basically behind the mainstreet area.

It is the most crowded,busiest Disney gets PERIOD..Summer is close ,but Christmas is still busier.Capacity closures are a reality during that period between Christmas and new Years.

The last time I was at WDW was for one day on January 7th 2002 with park hoppers (courtesy of a CM friend) and this happened with the MK, so I can imagine it happening during Christmas week! MK reached capacity, so it was good that we were there earlier in the day and had made it over to MGM at the time.

OK, i know this question has most likely been asked lots of times here before, but i wanted to ask for myself. What is it like at Disney World at Christmas?? From what i've seen it looks pretty Magical, but can i expect it to be VERY busy, like busier than say June July time? And how is the Weather, i can understand that its not going to be as hot a Summer. I have always been mid Summer time, but for a change i think i want to plan for Xmas. Thanks.

"Christmas" at Disney goes from November 2nd or so (day after last MNSSHP) through January 2nd or so.

Obviously some weeks are busier than others.

Thanksgiving Weekend- Crowded, but manageable
Week Leading up to Christmas- gets very crowded around the 23rd.
Week between Christmas and New Years- THE MOST CROWDED week at Disney all year.

My family's opting for Thanksgiving weekend this year due to possible work schedules, but if I had my choice, I'd go the 2nd week of November. "Christmas Lite" if you will. You still get almost all of the decor, with like 1/3 as many people there!

Disney looks amazing at Christmas. I would only recommend going if you are only planning on doing the Mickey's very Merry Christmas Party. Its after the Magic Kingdom closes and not near as crowded (plus you get free hot chocolate and cookies). A lot of fun and all the rides are still open! A separate ticket is required for it!:santa:

Disney looks amazing at Christmas. I would only recommend going if you are only planning on doing the Mickey's very Merry Christmas Party. Its after the Magic Kingdom closes and not near as crowded (plus you get free hot chocolate and cookies). A lot of fun and all the rides are still open! A separate ticket is required for it!:santa:

Ha, more like "no additional cost". :santa: Never done that one-I think its over for XMAS week so we never have a chance-sounds fun.

I've appreciated reading the strategies concerning the Christmas season at WDW.
I'll be at SS from 12/26 to 12/30 (then, the 8-day New Year's cruise!!!!). Being a DVC member and frequent visitor, I'm not desperate to get on rides. I do hope to enjoy the holiday atmosphere, however, and even tour some of the resorts to see their finery (Wilderness Lodge, especially).
Thanks to all those who generously shared their tips.

Christmastime is my absolute favorite time to go to Disney World! The decorations are BEAUTIFUL and there are so many special things to see and do! The weather is usually pretty nice, although it can get chilly.

Do you mean December before Christmas, or actually Christmas day?

Dec 26 to Jan 1st is apparently the busiest week of the year. I have personally been in the MK on New Years Eve - and it was brutal. Really, really brutal.

However, I've heard that the first few weeks of December are quite nice. The decorations and music are beautiful! And, you can go to the Christmas party!

Our very first trip to WDW was the 21st to 29th of Dec, 1992. It was wonderful and was the trip that got us hooked on Disney. I would NEVER do it again. The crowds were terrible and we've found we can go earlier in Dec and have as much fun. We go early and Disney is in full Christmas spirit and decoration. There is nothing like WDW at Christmas. :worship:

im going for my first ever visit to wdw at the beginning of Dec. and I really hope its not freezing..Im from CA and to me 60º is really really cold...and if all you east coasters who are used to cold weather thinks it was cold then Im gonna be one cold dead goose:eek:

im going for my first ever visit to wdw at the beginning of Dec. and I really hope its not freezing..Im from CA and to me 60º is really really cold...and if all you east coasters who are used to cold weather thinks it was cold then Im gonna be one cold dead goose:eek:

Last year Orlando hit record lows that week. It was freezing and in the 20's most days.

If you go by the crowd calenders at another website, the crowds in the first two weeks of December are very low. In fact, if Im not mistaken, its consider a low (value) season by Disney and most area hotels. And Im pretty sure most, if not all the decorations are up by then. But I could be wrong.:confused3 I plan on being there in December 2012, right before the world ends :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter