Walt Disney Company increases stake in EuroDisney

I think they will need to add 2 new lands to Walt Disney Studios. I think some new rides in Disneyland its self. Like splash mountain and the Tokyo version of Pooh.

This news really excited me. DLRP is great, but some parts need dragging out of the 90's.

Studios needs help. Its a car park with a couple of good rides. No decent food, needs a nice place to chill with a drink. Its the worst of all the Disney parks. on the upside, Crush coaster is great, and the Ratatouille area is just gorgeous. And can they do something with Studio 1? It feels like you walk in the park through a tacky mall food court.

It would be lovely to have a new ride in Disneyland Park , but it is at least a great all round experience & I am really hoping the new cars for Space mean I can ride without getting concussed...

I'm hoping for new ideas, not clones from other Parks.

Oh, @anthony2k7 The rehab of Hotel New York has already been announced, with the rehab of Disneyland Hotel to follow. Fingers crossed we will soon get the rest of the items on your list too.

This news really excited me. DLRP is great, but some parts need dragging out of the 90's.

Studios needs help. Its a car park with a couple of good rides. No decent food, needs a nice place to chill with a drink. Its the worst of all the Disney parks. on the upside, Crush coaster is great, and the Ratatouille area is just gorgeous. And can they do something with Studio 1? It feels like you walk in the park through a tacky mall food court.

It would be lovely to have a new ride in Disneyland Park , but it is at least a great all round experience & I am really hoping the new cars for Space mean I can ride without getting concussed...

I'm hoping for new ideas, not clones from other Parks.

Oh, @anthony2k7 The rehab of Hotel New York has already been announced, with the rehab of Disneyland Hotel to follow. Fingers crossed we will soon get the rest of the items on your list too.

ohhh! I'd completely (somehow) forgotten to mention in my list the lack of TS restaurants in WDS. Hate that. How can you plan a full park day without any TS options at all? It doesnt have to be unique.... just clone something from DCA or DHS would be fine, just give us a good TS restaurant already, we've only had to wait 15 years already.

As for the hotel refurbs - yes, but the HNY one was supposed to start two years ago now I believe - I seem to remember it was supposed to be straight after NPB.

ohhh! I'd completely (somehow) forgotten to mention in my list the lack of TS restaurants in WDS. Hate that. How can you plan a full park day without any TS options at all? It doesnt have to be unique.... just clone something from DCA or DHS would be fine, just give us a good TS restaurant already, we've only had to wait 15 years already.

As for the hotel refurbs - yes, but the HNY one was supposed to start two years ago now I believe - I seem to remember it was supposed to be straight after NPB.

Yup - a restaurant with a bar, in my dream world it would be but ToT and themed to that, which would be amazing. Its great that there are a couple of new options in the Village, but sometimes I just want to stay in the park and enjoy the ambiance. one day - we can dream!

They just announced the new schedule for the hotel refurbs again at the end of the last year. Fingers crossed they will stick to the schedule this time! Both of those hotels are long past needing refurb. They did a great job with Newport Bay - we stayed just as they were completing the refurb in September and the rooms were a great improvement.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-euro-disney-20170210-story.html

Looks like all the money is going everywhere except WDW!!!!

Unless they know something what's going on in France they have to be nuts!

LET'S RAISE THOSE PRICES
Merged you with the other thread we already have started on this...

Disney just announced opening dates for avatar, and star wars. They also announced a new fireworks show for MK. I don't think all the money is going everywhere else but WDW.

Disney raises prices every year that's nothing new and has nothing to do with France. Disney has also been majority owner in France for about a year now.

Why wouldn't Disney want to own as much of it's Park as possible is my thinking.
Well one could argue that its not a successful park so pouring more money would not be good. My thinking here is you need to spend money to make money. The parks were neglected for so long that they needed any help they could get.

Well one could argue that its not a successful park so pouring more money would not be good. My thinking here is you need to spend money to make money. The parks were neglected for so long that they needed any help they could get.

Agree, and when it's yours, your more willing to make it work.

Either Disney now has so much skin in DLP that they feel they have to keep doubling down, throwing more money into the pit in order (they hope) to ever be able to make their original investment back ...

... or, this is because Disney has access to "crazy big" amounts of cheap financing thanks to ECB policies and the only restrictions on the cheap money is, "you gotta spend it to create jobs right here in the good ol' E. of U."

I mean, if you think that North American salaries are merely stagnant and middle-class people have a hard time affording a Disney vacation, check out a whole continent where practically nobody gets a full time job before they're 35 years old, and many people never get a decent job, period. And they blame everything on "robots" ... LOL.

If a resort is still a money pit after 25 years, dontcha think that maybe there are more issues going on there besides not having enough refurbs in their hotels, and a cannon being broken on Space Mountain?

A vicious circle of declining attendance/rising prices in Florida, a major money pit located in a quasi-federal union of bankrupt states, the "star" investment located in a pugnacious and unrepentant communist dictatorship, and ESPN ... I would hate to be in charge of TWDC right now. Good luck, kiddos!

If a resort is still a money pit after 25 years, dontcha think that maybe there are more issues going on there besides not having enough refurbs in their hotels, and a cannon being broken on Space Mountain?
If you look at Europe by itself Disneyland Paris (just the MK park) takes the cake as most visited theme park overall. However when you put it in the world rankings it doesn't look as good and Walt Disney Studios park just looks awful in comparison. Europe just never had that big theme park bug like the US, or Tokyo.

http://www.teaconnect.org/images/files/TEA_160_611852_160525.pdf

If you look at Europe by itself Disneyland Paris (just the MK park) takes the cake as most visited theme park overall. However when you put it in the world rankings it doesn't look as good and Walt Disney Studios park just looks awful in comparison. Europe just never had that big theme park bug like the US, or Tokyo.

I agree, there's a cultural difference at work. Most people in the EU it seems want holiday entertainment that is either (a) high-browed like cathedrals, museums and eco-tourism, or (b) beaches. Whereas Asians are more like North Americans in their enjoyment of fantasy/thrills.

I also question the choice of location/climate for DLP. I understand being close to the population centers and a really great transportation system (unlike say southern Spain or Italy) but Paris is actually farther north than Seattle. The winters are long and dark and at all times the sun is relatively low in the sky and not very warm-feeling.

This move feels a lot like the old cliché, "throwing good money after bad", but I suspect that Disney isn't throwing good money at all, just a lot of newly-printed Euros ...

I agree, there's a cultural difference at work. Most people in the EU it seems want holiday entertainment that is either (a) high-browed like cathedrals, museums and eco-tourism, or (b) beaches. Whereas Asians are more like North Americans in their enjoyment of fantasy/thrills.

I also question the choice of location/climate for DLP. I understand being close to the population centers and a really great transportation system (unlike say southern Spain or Italy) but Paris is actually farther north than Seattle. The winters are long and dark and at all times the sun is relatively low in the sky and not very warm-feeling.

This move feels a lot like the old cliché, "throwing good money after bad", but I suspect that Disney isn't throwing good money at all, just a lot of newly-printed Euros ...
The location was all Eisner. They had a spot in Spain lined up and the Spanish government was better to cooperate with but Eisner didn't listen and wanted Paris due to that transportation/tourist aspect.

We enjoyed the 2 days we got to spend at DLP a few years ago although it didn't have a lot of happy friendly smiling CMs and a trash can every 20 feet. Smoking areas were not enforced AT ALL. And Europeans don't know what a queue is. But I blamed most of that stuff on cultural differences between us and the French. (Not sure if they can improve on smiling happy CMs in France?!) We thought the castle and surrounding grounds were spectacular although food was generally bad.

My hope would now be that they can work out more reasonable trades for DVC members to stay there. Right now the point requirements are just stupid. We ended up booking a cash package. I would love to return one day if we can ever make it back to Europe. But reasonable point requirements would be helpful.

I wonder what Disney's future plans are for this eventual overtaking.
I suspect it will involve raising prices. ;)
I also suspect it will involve expanding the resort and hotels to make it more attractive for longer stays. The longer Disney can keep people at their resort the better.

I know - but the cannon work is done as far as I'm aware and they failed to fix it after many months downtime. The one signature iconic effect of the paris park that no other park has and they couldnt get it working. Big disappointment.
I wonder what the problem is. Its basically the same ride mechanism that Disney has a lot of experience with at Rock n' Rollercoaster.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-euro-disney-20170210-story.html

Looks like all the money is going everywhere except WDW!!!!

Unless they know something what's going on in France they have to be nuts!

LET'S RAISE THOSE PRICES

What did you get in big attractions and big expansions in the last ten years?
Monsters Laugh Floor
Under the Seas: Journey of the Little Mermaid
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
New Fantasyland
Frozen Ever After
soon Star Wars Land and Avatar Land
I'm probably forgetting a whole lot

What did we get in the last ten years?
Ratatouille
Tower of Terror

That's it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter