Walmart removing Toys for Tots bins from stores

we have not had the box in our store for years. people were taking the stuff out of the box. now they just have a thing where you can pull a tag at checkout and have an amount added on too your bill.

they are still asking for toys at our local mall they have a place set up in the food court

I prefer not to be accosted for donations when I shop--no matter what the cause or who or how they are seeking donations. If I want to shop, I will shop. If I want to donate to charity, I'll seek the charity out myself. I hate when they mix the 2.

The big deal is they removed them during the holiday season. That's going to effect thousands of kids. If they want to discontinue Toys for Tots, then they should wait until NEXT year!!!!
How is it going to affect thousands of kids? Surely to God the people who do give to it every year aren't just going to say "Not at Wal-Mart? Oh well, I won't give anymore." Or, there's this

http://www.toysfortots.org/donate/Default.aspx

There have been people taking donations out of the donation boxes at various stores around me in TX- not just the Wal-Marts (which I don't shop) but the Petsmarts and Petcos and other locations. We had to stop having donation-type boxes in my library years ago because people would use them as garbage bins.

I prefer not to be accosted for donations when I shop--no matter what the cause or who or how they are seeking donations. If I want to shop, I will shop. If I want to donate to charity, I'll seek the charity out myself. I hate when they mix the 2.

I was going to say the same thing.

Now that's a different story - being accosted. I think the animal protective charities are the worst for that (which hurts because I love animals!) when you're walking in a mall or out on the street. They have pictures of emaciated or starved or poached animals and it's very upsetting.

I think Toys for Tots and change boxes on counters are far less obtrusive, you can ignore them.

One thing I get tired of is "do you want to donate a dollar..." at the check out. I mean, I just say 'no thanks' and leave it at that but when you're doing a day of shopping, it gets tiresome. I feel bad for the cashier. She probably goes home and as she's serving supper she asks her family "...do you want to donate a dollar..."

n36w4zl

And, if you read the link provided, you'll find that's apparently what's happening here. WalMart as a corporation has opted to collect for Children's Miracle Network. I suppose that means that ALL WalMarts must not have inside collections for any other entity.

They are, however, allowing the Marines to stand outside and collect on specified days.

Isn't charity great....:rolleyes: Now it is time for cut throat donation rules.

This is one of the the things that irked me about Girl Scouts. They had black out dates when you were not supposed to do any other fundraising.:rolleyes1

Now that's a different story - being accosted. I think the animal protective charities are the worst for that (which hurts because I love animals!) when you're walking in a mall or out on the street. They have pictures of emaciated or starved or poached animals and it's very upsetting.

I think Toys for Tots and change boxes on counters are far less obtrusive, you can ignore them.

One thing I get tired of is "do you want to donate a dollar..." at the check out. I mean, I just say 'no thanks' and leave it at that but when you're doing a day of shopping, it gets tiresome. I feel bad for the cashier. She probably goes home and as she's serving supper she asks her family "...do you want to donate a dollar..."
I think that the scouts are usually the worst about accosting people. Not all of them but some are so pushy.

I don't mind the box set to the side. It's sad to hear that people are stealing from them.

We haven't had tot in our stores...and I'm surprised they'd ever do it anyway since there not normally people greeters anymore, anyone to watch the boxes, I'm sure tons of your donated items were stolen every year.

I am not sure if my local Walmart ever had Toys for Tots. They did have a HUGE box for the Salvation Army last year. And this year it is outside with the Bell Ringer.

I was just at my QT (Quik Trip gas station) and it had a sign on the window that they are "an official donation center for TFTs".

I think that the scouts are usually the worst about accosting people. Not all of them but some are so pushy.

I don't mind the box set to the side. It's sad to hear that people are stealing from them.

What do the scouts do where you are? Ours just have tables by the 'out' door of supermarkets. I know the girls sell cookies, I don't know what the boys do. I just say hello and leave. Cookies - I can't resist!

Did you read this whole thread? Including the link to the first story?

You'll see it's not just a WalMart thing. As reported in the first report of such an incident, WalMart as a corporation has joined with Children's Miracle Network for it's charity of choice. And, apparently, Children's Miracle Network only partners with businesses that agree that they will be the only charity being solicited for INSIDE the stores they partner with.

So, while WalMart isn't blameless in putting Toys for Tots outside, it certainly isn't discrimination that they are doing so. It's purely a business arrangement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter