Walking????

I always used to call at 11 mos out (first day I could begin booking, first thing in morning ) for BW view at my home resort BWV. Never had a problem. For my trip this coming October I started walking a few days in advance as its a special trip for my niece's 18th birthday. But when I called on the 2nd day to walk, there was no availability because others had started walking before me. I lucked out on day 3 and something opened back up and CM grabbed it just in time but I was almost out of luck. So from now on, if I need to get a BW view room I'll be walking farther in advance. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em unfortunately :(

I always used to call at 11 mos out (first day I could begin booking, first thing in morning ) for BW view at my home resort BWV. Never had a problem. For my trip this coming October I started walking a few days in advance as its a special trip for my niece's 18th birthday. But when I called on the 2nd day to walk, there was no availability because others had started walking before me. I lucked out on day 3 and something opened back up and CM grabbed it just in time but I was almost out of luck. So from now on, if I need to get a BW view room I'll be walking farther in advance. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em unfortunately :(
If you were able to get the first few nights (at least 2) of your reservation, that shouldn't have happened at 11 months. We're either missing part of the story, the resort removed a room or two from inventory or something is "rotten in Denmark".

If you were able to get the first few nights (at least 2) of your reservation, that shouldn't have happened at 11 months. We're either missing part of the story, the resort removed a room or two from inventory or something is "rotten in Denmark".

Huh - trying to remember exactly (could be a bit fuzzy?!) but perhaps I missed a day calling right at 9:00? I do remember the day I wanted to use as the start date was unavailable but all the days after it were available. However they wouldn't let me book the following days since the first day was missing. Maybe I dreamed up that I actually started out "walking", but the end result is the same...I will walk from now on if I have a really specific request, even at 11 mos out. Sorry for any confusion!

Huh - trying to remember exactly (could be a bit fuzzy?!) but perhaps I missed a day calling right at 9:00? I do remember the day I wanted to use as the start date was unavailable but all the days after it were available. However they wouldn't let me book the following days since the first day was missing. Maybe I dreamed up that I actually started out "walking", but the end result is the same...I will walk from now on if I have a really specific request, even at 11 mos out. Sorry for any confusion!
Thanks for clarifying. :)

The key to walking is getting the first reservation - and you do need to book at least 2 nights and then call daily to be successful. (You don't need to call daily if you have booked more than 2 nights for the first reservation. You only need to call before the 11 month window opens for the night(s) you want to add at the end of the initial reservation).

Wow. October sells out at the 11mo mark at BWV, and likely BCV?!

Wow. October sells out at the 11mo mark at BWV, and likely BCV?!

No they do not. This OP was talking about a specific VIEW (Boardwalk View).

BWV and BCV both had availabilty in studios even at ten months for all of October and most of November and December. The exception was F&W Marathon/Veterans Day/end of F&W/start of Xmas weekend in November, and the first weekend in December, though neither were gone right at 11 months.

The only resort that has a problem with being "sold out" of studios in general at 11 months is VGF. Any other "Sell outs" are specific room categories that are hard to get. (Club and Value at AKV, Standard & BW view rooms at BWV, Standard & MK Views @ BLT are the only ones I'm aware of). Those are the only things you should ever have to even consider walking at 11 months.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

The key to walking is getting the first reservation - and you do need to book at least 2 nights and then call daily to be successful. (You don't need to call daily if you have booked more than 2 nights for the first reservation. You only need to call before the 11 month window opens for the night(s) you want to add at the end of the initial reservation).

Great - that is helpful...will be doing it again in May for April of next year!

BWV and BCV both had availabilty in studios even at ten months for all of October and most of November and December. The exception was F&W Marathon/Veterans Day/end of F&W/start of Xmas weekend in November, and the first weekend in December, though neither were gone right at 11 months.

The only resort that has a problem with being "sold out" of studios in general at 11 months is VGF. Any other "Sell outs" are specific room categories that are hard to get. (Club and Value at AKV, Standard & BW view rooms at BWV, Standard & MK Views @ BLT are the only ones I'm aware of). Those are the only things you should ever have to even consider walking at 11 months.

Right - was needing a 2BR with the BW View specifically :)

Oh ok, thx!! I was getting worried bc we prefer to go btwn October and January.... And BWV is one of our homes. We are flexible tho and prefer std rooms ;).

The only way they could prevent walking is to limit the number of times you can modify a reservation. In a way, it is limited now. Only those who can afford to own a lot of points can do it. You need enough to book all those days plus the weekend differential. If you ultimately want to book 3 prime days, you need to initially spend 8 days' of points to walk it down to 3.
There are many ways they could do so. IMO they should stop
it for several reasons. There are many ways they could do so and IMO, the best for this and other issues, is to make every change a cancelation and rebooking.

There are many ways they could do so. IMO they should stop it for several reasons. There are many ways they could do so and IMO, the best for this and other issues, is to make every change a cancelation and rebooking.
That would totally suck for those of us who need to adjust reservations to obtain decent airfare. If DVC ever decides to stop the walking, I'd rather they instituted a fee to make changes. Those who don't want to pay can use the cancel & rebook process and take their chances of losing the whole reservation.

That would totally suck for those of us who need to adjust reservations to obtain decent airfare. If DVC ever decides to stop the walking, I'd rather they instituted a fee to make changes. Those who don't want to pay can use the cancel & rebook process and take their chances of losing the whole reservation.
Every change tends to be negative for some and not for others, I don't feel members should be able to adjust for air or other events without risk. IMO it's one of the few times you can use fair and timeshare in the same sentence. To me, this approach is the most fair of all options. Otherwise members are just holding reservations they don't intend to use, it's no different than holding multiple reservations intending to use one and cancel others. All currently within the rules but of questionable reasonableness. But then I also feel that members should have to commit points to wait list thus needing the points for what they hold plus the WL. I'm OK with a fee as well as some minimum stay options or even delayed timing to reserve shorter stays. Anything that decreases turnover and ends up with less interactions with MS is a good thing in my book. I'm not complaining or upset with owners that use the current rules but I do feel some changes would be better overall.

Really? Members shouldn't be able to adjust for any reason without risk. It's a vacation, things happen like kids, work, illness etc... So is it okay to book at your home resort and change at 7 months?
I hope DVC doesn't charge people to make changes.

Is that weekend you are talking about November 7? We have been then before and it didn't seem to crazy busy.

November 7th is busy, not holiday busy, but about as busy as a weekend gets when school is in session. It's the F & W marathon weekend, the last weekend of Food and Wine, the Christmas stuff has started up (First weekend of Osborne lights) and also it's a long weekend because it's veterans day. Epcot will be extremely busy, the other parks not too bad. Really it's just the weekend though.

Remember, busy time of year at the parks doesn't always coincide with busy time of year for DVC. The TOP DVC time is early December, but that is considered a slow time in the parks. The slowest time of year for DVC is the summer, and that's the busiest time of year (barring Christmas/Easter) for the parks.

Really? Members shouldn't be able to adjust for any reason without risk. It's a vacation, things happen like kids, work, illness etc... So is it okay to book at your home resort and change at 7 months?
I hope DVC doesn't charge people to make changes.
There are several problems with walking just like there are holding just in case reservations. These include that it affects other members and it raises management costs. Of course I understand there are 2 sides. Members can still adjust in the suggestion I gave but there is risk and there should be IMO. A change at 7 months is a cancelation and rebooking, most of the changes within DVC really are including Villa size/type and resort changes. It's this one situation that's the aberrancy, for it to be a cancellation and rebooking really is more consistent with how DVC works in general.

November 7th is busy, not holiday busy, but about as busy as a weekend gets when school is in session. It's the F & W marathon weekend, the last weekend of Food and Wine, the Christmas stuff has started up (First weekend of Osborne lights) and also it's a long weekend because it's veterans day. Epcot will be extremely busy, the other parks not too bad. Really it's just the weekend though.

Remember, busy time of year at the parks doesn't always coincide with busy time of year for DVC. The TOP DVC time is early December, but that is considered a slow time in the parks. The slowest time of year for DVC is the summer, and that's the busiest time of year (barring Christmas/Easter) for the parks.
I think I remember that - we have gone that time before. I thought that food and wine ran through the following weekend. If not, I am glad we will get to be there the last weekend of it even if it is busy.

I think I remember that - we have gone that time before. I thought that food and wine ran through the following weekend. If not, I am glad we will get to be there the last weekend of it even if it is busy.

Actually, this year I think they extended it a week. It'll still be pretty crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter