Walking to the parks from S Walnut st

EagleFlyer

Mouseketeer
We've got a large family group going to disney next month so we decided to rent a house instead of several hotel rooms. We're staying at a place on S Walnut St. near Ball Ave across from the Holiday Inn.

I've looked at maps and think i have a good idea of the route to take, but my question is how safe is it to walk north on walnut street from DTD at night? If we stay until DL closes we'll be walking back after midnight.

We're from a medium sized city and have lived in a large city before, so we're familiar with the usual grittiness that can come with being in an urban location. But i don't know that area specifically.

I stayed at a house up on Goodhue Ave several years ago (Goodhue is south of Ball road, north of Magic Way, and just west of Walnut). Walking to the parks were pretty easy. It's worth noting that there are only crosswalks at Ball Road and Cerritos Ave to cross Walnut and Walnut is a pretty busy and fast moving street at times. I thought the walk was fine in the morning/day. It was little quiet and a bit "lonely" at night. The parking structure actually makes things seems kind of quiet and remote at night (because it's so big). It was pretty well lit along the main roads (Magic Way, Walnut), but somewhat more dimly lit on the side streets. There were a fair number of other guests walking back along the same route right after the parks closed, but it thinned out pretty quickly. When we headed back in a large group, it seemed safe enough. I wouldn't recommend anyone walk back alone, but I think that's pretty much common sense in any city.

I stayed at a house up on Goodhue Ave several years ago (Goodhue is south of Ball road, north of Magic Way, and just west of Walnut). Walking to the parks were pretty easy. It's worth noting that there are only crosswalks at Ball Road and Cerritos Ave to cross Walnut and Walnut is a pretty busy and fast moving street at times. I thought the walk was fine in the morning/day. It was little quiet and a bit "lonely" at night. The parking structure actually makes things seems kind of quiet and remote at night (because it's so big). It was pretty well lit along the main roads (Magic Way, Walnut), but somewhat more dimly lit on the side streets. There were a fair number of other guests walking back along the same route right after the parks closed, but it thinned out pretty quickly. When we headed back in a large group, it seemed safe enough. I wouldn't recommend anyone walk back alone, but I think that's pretty much common sense in any city.

Thanks for the feedback. We've got a few independent teens with us who will want to do their own thing, but we'll make sure to travel in a group when heading back at night. And we might just uber back on the late nights depending on how tired we are.

We stay at the Holiday Inn behind the M&F parking garage back on S Walnut all the time. Perfectly safe at all hours. There are actually less hopeless people and random people lingering on that side than there is on the Harbor side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter