Walking to Downtown Disney

BLTSam

Mouseketeer
How doable is the walk from SSR to Downtown Disney? Can you walk from OKW to Downtown Disney also?

There are two easy walks from SSR to DTD. One that ends at the Marketplace and the other ends near Cirque. They aren't lit at night for part of the way.

From OKW it's about a mile (maybe a little less). That path runs along the Trumbo Canal and is not lit at night. Watch out for snakes, gators and (I've heard recently) black bears.

DD is an easy walk from SSR - just across the canal - about a 10 minute walk from the Congress Park area to Marketplace and about 10 minutes from the boat dock to Cirque/HoB.

Cirque is 0.93 mile from Building 55 at OKW - about a 15 minute walk at a good pace.

Enjoy! :)

Any recommendations between SSR and OKW? We will be traveling with our 1 year old daughter. Our home is BLT, but will be staying at VWL for 5 days this trip. It is the last 2 days that we can't get in anywhere else, so trying to decide between OKW and SSR.

Any recommendations between SSR and OKW? We will be traveling with our 1 year old daughter. Our home is BLT, but will be staying at VWL for 5 days this trip. It is the last 2 days that we can't get in anywhere else, so trying to decide between OKW and SSR.

I'd probably go with OKW for the big sand play area and the quiet surroundings. Both will be easy access to DTD either by boat, bus or walk from OKW or boat or walk from SSR.

I'd probably go with OKW for the big sand play area and the quiet surroundings. Both will be easy access to DTD either by boat, bus or walk from OKW or boat or walk from SSR.
There's also bus service from SSR to DTD.

I thought it might be easier to visualize, so I did some playing with Google Earth. Google hasn't updated their satellite photos for this area in a while. In fact, the Grandstand section still shows as under construction. But it still gives you an idea.

The first picture is to give you an idea of what's where in the area.
SSRandDTD.jpg

The second shows the paths you can use to get to get between SSR and DTD.
SSRtoDTDmap.jpg

The yellow line is the path from the Carriage House to the Cirque side of the West End. The purple line shows the path from the Congress Park pool to the fountain by the Marketplace entrance.

We were in the last room in the last building of SSR before you get to DTD. It was VERY easy to walk to DTD. WE had a great view of Fulton's.

We have walked from both to DTD. I know that it probably only took us about 15 minutes but man that looks far on that Google map!

Both are similar in style - apartment style buildings with parking just outside each building. OKW rooms are noticeably bigger. Only two buildings at OKW have elevators so you may be walking up steps. SSR is newer and every building has an elevator. Looking back on our travels with little kids, I would prefer an elevator! (Now we make the kids carry everything if there are steps!). I guess it may just come down to decor and theming of the resort: a laid back Keys West theme with pastel colors or an upstate New York theme with a little bit richer theming. We love both so you probably can't go wrong choosing either one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter