Walking shoes

My favorite is Skechers, especially shape-ups. Both their sneakers and sandals are lightweight and include insoles for arch support.

When I tried the shape-ups for the first time it took a day to adjust to the difference, but after that they were great!

I have rebel feet and trying to find something that will work for Disney has been the bane of my existence.

I am a Birkenstock girl thru-and-thru. Wear them DAILY. My favs are the Myaris but they slip on (like a flip flop) and aren't exactly water shoes. I once wore a pair of Arizona sandals (with the back strap) to Six Flags and could walk for DAYS in them. We didn't get on any wet rides and it didn't rain so water wasn't a factor (plus, it is always HOT there so neither was fear of cold). I have closed-toe Boston clogs for that (but they aren't good once the weather gets into the 40's...found that out at a football game! BRRR) and a pair of Alabama lace-ups. I wouldn't wear the 'Bama's to Disney in the cold simply b/c they are all leather and it would pain me to get them scuffed or ruined by water.... I digress...

We are traveling in November. In my current shoe arsenal are these: Chacos, Arizonas with backstrap, and a pair of Keens that I purchased yesterday. I would have added Crocs but they are too squishy and my arch gets angry after a while. That's my problem. I've bought squishy shoes all my life thinking the squishier the better but I learned after being fitted for some hard orthotics that I need a firm footbed. Chacos are heavier than Crocs but they give me the arch support I need. I do have a closed-toe pair of Chacos that I could wear with socks but they look kind of dorky unless I'm wearing jeans or pants :p. When I wear sneakers, I wear New Balance or Adidas. I like Saucony, too. I'm telling you, though, I think I'd wear Birkenstocks to run in if I could (Haha..hello shin splints! :p).

If you can stand Crocs, get some and add some Disney Jibbitz ;) You could then add socks if you need. They made my feet sweat when I tried them around the house the other day...I'm sure they'd keep yours warm.

The shoe thing is probably one of my top worries for our trip. I know that miserable feet = miserable time. I'll probably start off in my Birkenstocks and then trade off to Chacos/Keens if it rains or we are heading to do a wet ride. I hate lugging around extra shoes, but I'm gonna have to.

GOOD LUCK!!!! Let us know what you end up going with!

For those of you who wear croc flats, do your feet sweat? I have sweaty soles (sorry TMI) but I really really REALLY don't want to wear sneakers the whole time we're there (1st week of Nov.) I'd love to get some comfy flats or sandals instead, but I don't know how my feet will handle something with a non-absorbent inner.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I ended up buying a pair of Toms yesterday, I'll bring those, my Tevas (in case it's super nice out), and a pair of comfy boots (in case it's super cold like it was in Dec 2010).

Have a great trip! I know I'm quite late with an answer but I wanted to chime in just in case anyone else is still looking for walking shoes. I find Cross-trainers are better than running shoes. The toe box is wider and you aren't pitched forward.

I have Rockports, Merrills, New Balance and mesh Salamons. All are really good for Disney walking and some are more fashionable than others. I bring two pair of shoes and my crocs for the pool or hanging out.

I'm a huge fan of Keens, especially the Newport H2s, while my husband prefers the New Balance shoes. My Keens are super comfy and I've never had blisters wearing them. Also, they are much better than wearing sneakers IMO since my feet and shoes dry out really fast if they get wet (Who wants to walk around in wet socks and sneakers?), and they are better than normal sandals because your toes are covered and no one can step on them! I know a lot of people swear by Crocs, but I just CANNOT bring myself to wear those things....comfortable or not :sad2:

I LOVE KEENs! I wear KEEN Paradise sandals for something a little dressier yet still comfy (and I wear the Mary Jane style Paradise ones as well) and I like KEEN Whisper for a sportier sandal. I could wear KEENs all day and my feet never ache. I have worn them all over Disney, I've worn them all over Washington D.C. and New York City, wonderful shoes!

On both my recent trips I just wore plain Crocs. It was raining on 12/28 when we were at Epcot and the MK, and I was having no issues. Might be a tad chilly for some people, but I run a few degrees warmer than most so I was happy.

I used to swear by tennis shoes in the parks, especially New Balance, but the past serveral trips to DLR I wore Crocs flats and loved them! Unlike the clogs, they are really cute! :love: And they are so comfortable!

I got these Crocs Kadees http://www.crocs.com/crocs-kadee/11215,default,pd.html?cid=706&cgid=women-footwear-flats and these Crocs Loafers. http://www.crocs.com/crocs-crocband-loafer/11535,default,pd.html?cid=6G7&cgid=women-footwear-flats.
These are now my Disney park shoes and I will be bringing them to WDW.

I hated crocs. Then my wife bought me a pair before the last trip. I instantly became a huge fan.

I alternated between socks and no socks (wife made fun of me when I wore them with socks)...

But now I'm a huge crocs fan. I walked for 10 days and my feet were never sore. I highly recommend them!

I wear Sketchers. Never had a problem with them hurting my feet on my trips. I've recently started wearing Croc flats to work. I work on my feet on a concrete floor 9+ hours a day and they work wonderfully for me. We are not allowed to wear sneakers and I've gone through so many different brands of shoes it's crazy how much money I have thrown away on highly recommended dress/casual shoes. Wish I had tried the Crocs years ago. I will be taking some on my next Disney trip.

Just Google "Nike Free" or "Jordan RCVR"...2 of the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn...They are lightweight, very soft cushiony feel and very breathable so your feet don't get too hot...I'm not an expert but i have over 250 pairs of sneakers and these are 2 of the best...The Nike Free come in lots of colors and are also good for building leg muscles and strength because they conform naturally to the foot and your walking motion...The Jordan RCVR comes in a few different colors and has a lots of cushion and is built with mesh so they are very comfortable, lightweight, and let your feet breathe...I know they are sneakers but if you are walking in the parks or just walk a lot at work or for excercise you need something that is going to feel good on your feet, and makes you comfortable without having to worry about getting sore or hurting your feet...Hope this helps

I just got a new pair of sneakers for my new trip next week. Running all week to break them in. Will rotate between them an a pair of TOMS (perhaps the comfiest shoes ever)

Skechers GoWalk are my new faves. I have them in 3 colors, brought two on our last trip to WDW in December (they are super light weight, so easy to pack). Wish I had brought all 3 pair. Wore without socks and my feet don't sweat in them. :thumbsup2

JCW said:
Skechers GoWalk are my new faves. I have them in 3 colors, brought two on our last trip to WDW in December (they are super light weight, so easy to pack). Wish I had brought all 3 pair. Wore without socks and my feet don't sweat in them. :thumbsup2

I have the Skechers Go Run and LOVE them. I am looking into the GoWalk for Disney also! Great shoes in great designs and colors!

i live in my fitflops in the real world- have flipflops, sandals with an ankle strap, trainers and boots. they are seriously the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned and I have problem feet. They come in a great range of styles, so look pretty and are comfy- which has never happened before. Been on city weekends, where i have easily spent 12 hours on my feet walking for miles and never had a problem. they even hold up to 12 hours shifts in work standing on cold hard floors, running up and down stairs. I am off to the world next week, and am taking along a pair of fitflop flipflops, a pair of sandals and travelling in my boots! I am a walking advert!:rotfl2:

I thought I'd come back to update this thread and review the shoes I've worn to Disney!

My highest recommendation goes to Crocs. I have two types of crocs...one is a sandal with a strap just above the toes and one over your instep -- these are by far the best for hot weather -- I wore them for hours and hours and they were perfect, airy, soft and cushy, and light as air. In colder weather I bring my light blue or light green boat-shoe looking Crocs. The bonus about these is that the insole pops right out, so I would take them out and stick them in my high flat suede boots, which made them totally comfy to walk in all day too (although they had no comfort factor of their own the Croc insoles worked miracles and allowed me to look a little more fashionable at times.)

I would give second place to my Teva sandals -- again, they are airy and light and I can walk a long day in them. They don't have quite the same cushioning as Crocs, but they look more like a normal sandal (mine are leather with cork soles) and again did not rub or cause any blisters.

Third place for me goes to Toms -- I tried them for the first time last trip and they were great. I was very happy with the way they hugged my feet and I alternated wearing them barefoot or with sockettes.

Fourth, but still great, are sneakers (runners, cross trainers etc) -- they are lower on my list because I prefer open shoes and bare feet whenever possible. I am also not a big fan of the look of sneakers with a lot of clothes, so although I know that comfort is THE MOST important factor, if I have another option that offers the same comfort I'll take it.

Fifth were my lovely warm hush puppy flat boots, furry inside, which came along for our January trip. I thought I might not wear them much, but it was cool enough on a few evenings to wear them. I wouldn't have wanted to spend the whole day in them (unless I had my Croc inserts!) but they were great for a partial day.

I also think it's a good idea overall to rotate shoes, I find that alternating shoes gave my feet a break -- if I felt pressure in one area after a day of walking it helped to switch to a different pair the next day.

Happy walking everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter