• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walking Shoes

waynedavis703

Earning My Ears
I have 4 weeks left and my wife just got her Crocs,(boy are they ugly). Is a walking or running shoe a good idea other then wearing sneakers? Any tips would help.

I strongly recommend Saucony running shoes. Both my wife and I wear these and they are perfect.

Go to their website and use the shoe advisor to pick the pair for you. They are very specific. You can find good deals on new Sauconys on ebay.

Good luck.

There are many very good athletic shoes out there. I have "ball of foot" pain from many years of wearing 4 inch heels so I went to a running store that specializes in helping me select the best shoes for my particular feet and ended up buying a pair of Addidas (don't remember model) and they were so comfortable! I had no problems with my feet, legs or back!

If you have a store with employee's who really know how to fit each individual that's the way I'd go.

waynedavis703 said:
I have 4 weeks left and my wife just got her Crocs,(boy are they ugly). Is a walking or running shoe a good idea other then wearing sneakers? Any tips would help.

If you have any arch problems whatsoever, plantar fasciitis is my problem, I recommend New Balance MX621's. They are the only shoe I can wear that completely relieves the pain.

I love my Crocs, but my advice is to find the shoe that's best for YOU. Be it Crocs, Tevas, Birks, tennis shoes (of any variation) etc. All I know is that, for me, my feet always hurt BAD within a couple hours of entering the park each day when I wore any style of shoe except my Crocs. Each person is different.

Good Luck finding a shoe that works for you.

The last time we went to WDW (in Feb) I bought both DH & myself "Easy Spirit' sneakers and they are our absolute favorites. In addition to sneakers they also make womens & mens casual & dress shoes. The website has lots to choose from.

Good luck

DO NOT get crocs the name of that shoe says it all! This is just my opinion but the Nike air max 360's are a great shoe. Great support, great cushioning. The only drawback is the price, $120-160. There are a lot of god shoes out there just make sure you break them in before you hit the parks as that is no place to break in a pair of kicks. Goos luck! :thumbsup2 :wave: :thumbsup2

Try Merrells...they come in dozens of styles, and they have clogs which are great for warm weather. I wore them in April '06 with no problem.

Erie Islands said:
Try Merrells...they come in dozens of styles, and they have clogs which are great for warm weather. I wore them in April '06 with no problem.
Merrels are a great shoe worth a try! :thumbsup2 :wave: :thumbsup2

also have ball-of-foot pain here - got new balance 621 for women - great support, very cushioned - no more pain!

I just got back and wore my Teva Kena sandals the whole time. They were great. They have the same footbed as the Mush flip flops but not the thong, just several straps across the foot. I wore my new Nike walking shoes for part of a day and they were harder on my feet not to mention hot! It was very hot in the parks still.

I practically live in my Nike ACG sandals during the Summer and they're great for WDW, especially if you know you're gonna get wet. For comfortable 'dry' walking though, I have to 2nd the New Balance vote. My GF's podiatrist claims they are the best 'foot friendly' walking shoe made. 12 more days!!! :yay:

I just bought a pair of ecco performance sneakers off Zappos and I think they are the most comfortable thing I've ever worn! I have foot problems too and usually have achy feet after wearing any shoe for just a couple hours. I've worn these non-stop the past 2 days and my feet feel great! I'm even wearing them in the house they're so comfy. I'm usually a socks and slippers kind of gal indoors, but these are just too comfortable. Definately worth the money.

Whatever shoe you get make sure they are WELL broken in before you go.

We averaged 7mi a day while at the world.

I would also recommend Glide, you can get it at stores like REI or online. If you start to feel anything rub or a sore coming on this stuff is amazing.

My husband used it everyday and the kids and I used it most days.

I bought crocs for our trip about a 6 weeks out and only wore them a few times before we traveled. I also took two pairs of athletic shoes (the pair I had been wearing everyday and an older pair). But once we got to the parks I never wore anything but my crocs! Yes crocs are ugly but the comfort of them especially when it gets damp is wonderful. There was a light rain on three of our five days in the parks and I know my regular shoes are very uncomfortable when they're wet, but the crocs dry out very fast and were not uncomfortable in the rain at all.

Sphynx said:
I bought crocs for our trip about a 6 weeks out and only wore them a few times before we traveled. I also took two pairs of athletic shoes (the pair I had been wearing everyday and an older pair). But once we got to the parks I never wore anything but my crocs! Yes crocs are ugly but the comfort of them especially when it gets damp is wonderful. There was a light rain on three of our five days in the parks and I know my regular shoes are very uncomfortable when they're wet, but the crocs dry out very fast and were not uncomfortable in the rain at all.
This is my story too... bought them just to try ended up wearing them almost every day and for the first time ever not thinking about my feet at Disney. This was in December... wearing them with socks. They were absolutely the most comfortable.

Now this summer at Disneyland, when it was hot... (ya, even California is HOT sometimes) not so good, could not do the socks (the Croc's were too hot and even hotter with the socks on).

What ever shoes you decide on be sure they are broken in, and that you have at least two pair and alternate them every day.

mrsbug said:
I just bought a pair of ecco performance sneakers off Zappos and I think they are the most comfortable thing I've ever worn! I have foot problems too and usually have achy feet after wearing any shoe for just a couple hours. I've worn these non-stop the past 2 days and my feet feel great! I'm even wearing them in the house they're so comfy. I'm usually a socks and slippers kind of gal indoors, but these are just too comfortable. Definately worth the money.

This post completely makes the point I was posting about earlier. The shoes that were 'killing' me in 2 hours were the ecco performance sneakers! So, what's good for one person isn't necessarily good for another.

I would like to offer another option - Many of us love our Crocs - there's no denying that, but I have found another shoe that is made the same way but has a slightly thicker sole which gives more cushion and it also has better arch support - they are called Nothinz and you can find them on www.shoes.com. Nothinz run more narrow than Crocs. I found some in a local sporting goods store and tried them on. The didn't have the color I wanted, so I started my online search. (Side note - I NEVER EVER buy shoes from online unless I've been able to try them on in a store first.) I found I needed a size 10 in the Nothinz (I wear a 9 Crocs and an 8 1/2 regular shoe).
Shoes.com has free shipping and if you are going to pay with a Visa card, use THIS LINK to get 20% off!

Here's a pic of the Nothinz and the Crocs side by side. You can see that the Nothinz (the blue pair) are a tiny bit more streamlined/narrow looking.

WARNING: Sunglasses may be required due to the glare from my white legs. I publicly claim no responsibility for any blindness that occurs from viewing the following picture. :lmao:

P1010007.jpg

hi -

you have to find what works for you. after years of trying, lots of blisters and heel pain at disney, i found the crocs to be the best thing ever. the only thing better was my croc scutes, which have extra cushion in the heel - the first time shoes have ever felt better than my bare feet!!!!!!

bluefairy21 said:
I just got back and wore my Teva Kena sandals the whole time. They were great. They have the same footbed as the Mush flip flops but not the thong, just several straps across the foot. I wore my new Nike walking shoes for part of a day and they were harder on my feet not to mention hot! It was very hot in the parks still.

Thats 2 votes for the Kenas. I LOVE mine!!! In addition to Disney I walked all over Tokyo in them (including Tokyo Disney). Every one else was complaining about their feet. NOT ME!!!!

billwendy said:
hi -

you have to find what works for you. after years of trying, lots of blisters and heel pain at disney, i found the crocs to be the best thing ever. the only thing better was my croc scutes, which have extra cushion in the heel - the first time shoes have ever felt better than my bare feet!!!!!!
Hi!
Croc scutes are the best!!! I wore them in August and I couldn't get over how comfy my feet were. Las year I wore Nikes and I had about 6 blisters that I had to keep putting bandaids on, and they were really broken in. Now I need to find something really comfy for December. I can't wear socks with the Scutes, and regular Crocks just don't fit me right. I thought I would try the New Balance sneakers and get the cool max socks. I just know that they won't be as comfortable as my Croc Scutes. Any suggestions???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter