• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walking Shoes - Are you "gellin'"?

militarymama

Earning My Ears
I'm not sure where to post this.

I was in the car this afternoon and I heard this guy on the radio talking about how his gel insoles were confiscated when he went through airport security.

I modified my carry-on list, but I didn't even think about my insoles. I use these in every pair of walking shoes I own. So I'm posting in hopes of saving others the frustration of having to throw them away at the checkpoint.

No "gellin'" on the plane apparently.

I'm really not trying to start a flame war or anything, but dont people read the TSA advisories before getting to the airport? I saw a couple of days ago when they said the gel inserts were banned. The worst was today at work, a coworker of mine tells me she is leaving tomorrow for a trip, I said make sure you double and triple check that you have no liquids, gels, etc. in carry on. She looks at me with this dumbfounded look, and says, what are you talking about? I mention the terrorist stuff from Heathrow airport, the liquid/gel ban, all this stuff, she looks at me like I am crazy, and says gee, I guess the news doesnt do such a good job of letting the public know about stuff like this, now do they??? ***??? Where have you been?

I'm sorry, didnt mean to hijack your thread, but I had to vent!

Hopefully everyone will do themselves a favor and check and recheck the TSA advisories before leaving for the airport!

Yes, I read this in the paper today. No gel insoles. However, if you have shoes with gel heels (like Nike, I think) those are OK.

Thanks for the info! I would rather hear the same info over and over then be uniformed. It is nice to know that my fellow dis members care enough to share information.

OP: Oh by the way you really made me laugh with your "gellin" comment! :rotfl2:

I read that they were banned on the TSA website's list. I wouldn't even have thought of those. I used to put them in my sneakers for trips to WDW, but don't anymore.

I agree with the idea that folks need to be informed of the latest developments prior to their flights.

Gel insoles took me by surprise because I didn't even think about those. If that detail was on the news, I missed it. I've got a young kid flying in a few weeks and he doesn't need to be exposed to all the drama, so we've been limiting what we watch.

I would've been surprised to have my insoles confiscated in the airport because the banned items that have been drilled into my head are "liquids and gels of any kind." I realize that "gels of any kind" does cover the gel insoles. My mind was caught up in the toiletries - I wasn't even thinking about my feet. :)

Having a kid made my brain a little slower. I might have made the connection eventually, but it certainly helped hearing about that prior to being in the airport.

militarymama said:
I agree with the idea that folks need to be informed of the latest developments prior to their flights.

Gel insoles took me by surprise because I didn't even think about those. If that detail was on the news, I missed it. I've got a young kid flying in a few weeks and he doesn't need to be exposed to all the drama, so we've been limiting what we watch.

I would've been surprised to have my insoles confiscated in the airport because the banned items that have been drilled into my head are "liquids and gels of any kind." I realize that "gels of any kind" does cover the gel insoles. My mind was caught up in the toiletries - I wasn't even thinking about my feet. :)

Having a kid made my brain a little slower. I might have made the connection eventually, but it certainly helped hearing about that prior to being in the airport.

You are not alone. I never would have though of gel insoles as part of the banned items. I have terrible foor pain and will often wear gel insoles to help me through a WDW vacation. This time however they will be going in my checked bags. At almost $40 a pair I would have hated to have them confiscated!

I just heard about the ban on gel inserts this morning. Good thing because they were in my sneakers when I flew home on Friday. I had to take my shoes off but no problem with the inserts....then. It would have been a shame if I had to throw them out at approx. $15! Well, I guess now I'll just throw them in my luggage. I certainly don't mind any security inconvenience...bring it on and keep us safe; no complaints here!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter