Walking from Gf to Mk.

Tash87

DIS Veteran
Is there a path to walk from GF to Mk?

It seems an obvious answer to me but wanted to know 100% :rolleyes:

The PP is correct. There is no way to walk from the GF to the MK because of the waterway.

Such a shock and a shame. I asked the question on the GF faq thread and they said that it would take so much pressure off the mono and boats. Thank you.

Such a shock and a shame. I asked the question on the GF faq thread and they said that it would take so much pressure off the mono and boats. Thank you.
Maybe. There aren't all that many people walking back and forth from the CR to MK....at least I've never seen large numbers of guests doing it. So, I doubt that many at the GF would hoof it over to MK.
Besides....the cost wouldn't be small. And those costs will have to be covered by someone....and it would most likely be covered by raised rates at the GF! It would be those people that would benefit from being able to walk to MK. Each time you add an alternative to existing transportation options at a resort, that resort sees a rise in room rates.

It's definitely good that you asked though. People do try to walk it. At least on the MK side, there's a lighted "path to nowhere" that dead-ends at the waterway. It almost looks like maybe they had planned to build a bridge, but as goofy4tink said, they probably decided it wasn't worth the expense.

I'm so glad I asked cause there would be nothing worse than thinking i was skipping the horrendous queues for mono and boat to GF late at night to realise it actually doesn't lead anywhere!

I think with all the reports I hear of how unreliable the mono is and the massive queues for resort boats are that it would probably be money well spent putting a bridge in. A lot of people would use it instead of waiting in a queue.

After all Disney does make an awful lot of money out of us.

I think with all the reports I hear of how unreliable the mono is and the massive queues for resort boats are that it would probably be money well spent putting a bridge in. A lot of people would use it instead of waiting in a queue.

After all Disney does make an awful lot of money out of us.
The reports of the monorail being unreliable are grossly overstated. Yes, it does go down occasionally. But 99% of the time it works just fine.

Building a bridge across that canal would not be a trivial matter. The canal is used daily so any bridge would have to be a draw/swing bridge to out of the way. Either that or it would have to be as high as the monorail beam that crosses the canal.

Maybe they will finish the path when they build a couple of more hotels on that side of the lake.

The water pageant and other maintenance craft use that canal. It would need to be a tall bridge or as others have said, a draw or swing bridge. That then becomes even more expensive as you would need a CM or two to be available to open the bridge when needed.

I'm showing this thread to DH. I knew you couldn't walk over there, but I think because he sees that there is a path he thinks you can. Which would make sense if you didn't already know it goes no where. Thank you :)

A few years back we met with a DVC salesperson at the Villas at Grand Floridian when they first opened...we were thinking of selling our contracts at some of the other resorts to buy. A key question was....what about that walkway? Will it be finished now that DVC has been built? The salesperson was very honest....said most likely not, as the feeling is way too many people would use that walkway to have easy access to the resort...i.e. people that are not staying there. There are so many buildings and so many entrances and exits to these buildings. And that walkway would be very, very long...and lonely. You don't really notice unless you sit by the window on the monorail when you leave the resort....not what I would call a "people friendly" area. On the other hand, the walkway to BLT and CR is busy and involves walking across a busy intersection and passing the guard shack at the parking lot entrance...along with being observed by a number of security cameras, so it is probably less likely to draw someone that wishes to cause trouble. The exits and entrances to these resorts are far fewer. However, I still wonder how...at least once during our stay at BLT....that "free pizza delivery" flyer manages to get under my door.

I've never had much trouble with the monorail being "down". Right now the berm for the express monorail is being repaired and it is closed during off-peak hours. I took some time recently to observe what goes on during the busy morning hours at the MK. When the big ferry from the TTC is unloading, the monorail is in a "holding position" between GF and MK. When most of the crowd is thru security and the "turnstiles", the monorail pulls in and unloads. When most of that crowd is taken care of, another ferry unloads. Crowd control Disney style.

As far as "Disney not wanting to spend the money", it was recently announced that a "flyover" is being constructed at the MK toll plaza for those staying at the MK resorts. As it stands now, if you are staying in one of those resorts, you must pass through the extreme right hand side of the plaza, show proof that you can pass through for free, and get on the correct ramp while dodging cars and buses. So....I don't think it's the cost preventing a bridge to GF.

As far as "Disney not wanting to spend the money", it was recently announced that a "flyover" is being constructed at the MK toll plaza for those staying at the MK resorts. As it stands now, if you are staying in one of those resorts, you must pass through the extreme right hand side of the plaza, show proof that you can pass through for free, and get on the correct ramp while dodging cars and buses. So....I don't think it's the cost preventing a bridge to GF.
Draw bridges are incredibly expensive to build, and even more expensive to maintain. They're also risky because people refuse to follow basic safety rules.

Draw bridges are incredibly expensive to build, and even more expensive to maintain. They're also risky because people refuse to follow basic safety rules.

LOL....you think???? I've seen too many critters around 7 seas lagoon to even WANT to go off a path. Basic safety rules...I get angry at people that try to "hide" their cigarettes while walking through a crowd.

I was not sure what "flyover meant", but I guess it is some kind of bypass. I still see plenty of drivers causing mayhem when I am trying to get to BLT.....cars driving in to the "BUS ONLY" ramp at the intersection of BLT and MK.

Don't see them ever making that walkway....however, I do think they need a bigger boat, along with proof of residency, for those staying at GF and Poly.

Don't see them ever making that walkway....however, I do think they need a bigger boat, along with proof of residency, for those staying at GF and Poly.
I don't see them limiting any form of transportation. They want all guests to dine at the resort restaurants, shop, and maybe even be convinced to choose a Deluxe next time.

LOL....you think???? I've seen too many critters around 7 seas lagoon to even WANT to go off a path. Basic safety rules...I get angry at people that try to "hide" their cigarettes while walking through a crowd

I'm intrigued as to what you meant by 'critters'? :scared:

A few years back we met with a DVC salesperson at the Villas at Grand Floridian when they first opened...we were thinking of selling our contracts at some of the other resorts to buy. A key question was....what about that walkway? Will it be finished now that DVC has been built? The salesperson was very honest....said most likely not, as the feeling is way too many people would use that walkway to have easy access to the resort...i.e. people that are not staying there. There are so many buildings and so many entrances and exits to these buildings. And that walkway would be very, very long...and lonely. You don't really notice unless you sit by the window on the monorail when you leave the resort....not what I would call a "people friendly" area. On the other hand, the walkway to BLT and CR is busy and involves walking across a busy intersection and passing the guard shack at the parking lot entrance...along with being observed by a number of security cameras, so it is probably less likely to draw someone that wishes to cause trouble. The exits and entrances to these resorts are far fewer. However, I still wonder how...at least once during our stay at BLT....that "free pizza delivery" flyer manages to get under my door.

I've never had much trouble with the monorail being "down". Right now the berm for the express monorail is being repaired and it is closed during off-peak hours. I took some time recently to observe what goes on during the busy morning hours at the MK. When the big ferry from the TTC is unloading, the monorail is in a "holding position" between GF and MK. When most of the crowd is thru security and the "turnstiles", the monorail pulls in and unloads. When most of that crowd is taken care of, another ferry unloads. Crowd control Disney style.

At least the salesperson was honest!

I don't see them limiting any form of transportation. They want all guests to dine at the resort restaurants, shop, and maybe even be convinced to choose a Deluxe next time.

Yes...but there is a huge difference between those that want to shop or look around or dine vs. the droves that want to leave MK and don't want to wait for the monorail and want to meander through the resort area. I know that sounds kind of un-pc..but if you are paying the big $$$ you would probably agree.

At least the salesperson was honest!

Yes, and I am glad. Was kind of wavering....but not having the walking path was a big deal to me. Still...it is an absolutely beautiful place and if I had more expendable income I would not hesitate to buy there.

I'm going to guess spiders, snakes, and gators - the usual suspects.

Yup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter