• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walking from Days Inn on South Harbor

KiwiMouseGirl

Mouseketeer
Hi Disers! We're looking into accommodation for our trip in January and have found some good prices at Days Inn on South Harbor. We like to walk to the parks in the morning so we can get there nice and early and were wondering if it is possible to walk from this hotel. I've had a look on google maps and can see you have to cross what looks like it would be a very busy road and I can't see if there is a crossing there. Has anyone walked from this hotel to the parks before?

Which specific one, the one at 1111 South Harbor or the one at 2200 South Harbor?

As stated above, the 1111 walk includes walking across multiple freeway on/off-ramps without a traffic light, and a grade, as the bridge goes from street level to go over the I-5 freeway, here is that map. Just under a mile each way.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6938813

I mapped the 2200 location, close to a mile and a half each way. The map shows the streets you need to cross and crosswalks, all have traffic lights that control them.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6938809

I would use the ART Shuttle service, which starts before park opening and/or the public bus OCTA route 43/543. (The ART pass works on both services)

www.rideart.org

Last edited:
We are staying at the Days Inn (2200 South harbour) in Mid September. We got the room for less than $40 per night - couldn't pass it up. We have walked it before, and I think it is about 25 mins, but with all the walking in the park as well, we will likely take ART anytime we are not feeling up to the effort. We purchased the 5 day ART passes.

Thanks everybody!!! I think I will keep the room as a back up just incase I can't find anything closer. Using ART is a great idea, I'll have to investigate how early in the morning they start running buses :)

Starting time of ART is based on the park hours including the three Early Entry days and has the first drop offs in time for them.

At the rideart.org link, check out the specific route number(s) servicing your Hotel, and they will show the current starting times for the week.

It's something like 3:30 AM on race days. They recommended that we take the shuttle from Hotel Menage, which is across Ball. I have parking on my AP, so we thought it made sense to drive so we could store post-race stuff there. Have you looked further wast on Ball? You could walk to M&F and take their shuttle.

I stayed in the location at 1111 last October. As I aimed to be near the front of the line at rope drop every day, I walked (as a solo person) and that was fine. There were cross walks and, leaving super early like I did daily, there wasn't much traffic. That said, if I was going with kids or slow movers, or planning to make that walk later in the morning, I might not feel comfortable walking it. However, if I was planning to go later in the morning, I would take the free "shuttle" (translation: really old, slightly grubby van they used as a shuttle) if they still have it. For me, as I wanted to get their early, I walked there each day and took the shuttle back and that was totally doable. No more difficult, really, than when I walked from a hotel near the convention center earlier in the same trip (I split hotels last October).

In short, I was ok with the location, especially for the price, and would gladly stay there again and make the walk again each morning, but it was definitely a no-frills place and the walk was not short, but the fact that I was able to stay twice as long for the same price as a closer hotel made the morning walk totally worth it.

~Meg

I have had NO issues walking from 1111 S. Harbor Days Inn with two teens, the walk takes about 15 minutes (maybe less, it has been a few years).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter