Walking at Kidani

jdd

DIS Veteran
We're making our first visit to Kidani in 13 days :cool1:

I've been reading all the threads I can about the resort, and I'm wondering about one thing. I love to get up early in the morning and stroll around the resort (particulary enjoyed this at CBR and the Poly). Is there anywhere outside to wander around and enjoy the sunrise? Everything I read talks about walking down long hallways - just wondering why you couldn't walk the length of the building outside (unless there aren't sidewalks??)

Thanks for any info! :thumbsup2

The only area you can walk around is that on the front side of the building and over to the front side of the Jambo building. That area includes the Kidani pool area, roads, bus stop. parking areas and some flora (more so when you get to Jambo). The other areas are all savannas and you cannot go on those. In fact be aware that except for a designated savanna viewing area, the only way to enter and exit from the Kidani building is through doors at or near the front entrance or via the below-building parking lot which takes you out to areas on the front side of the building. You should not assume that the walk outside is one that includes excellent views of anything. The Jambo building is similar: except for doors leading to the pool or designated savanna viewing areas, the only way to get in and out of the Jambo building is via doors at or near the front entrance.

I know you said you like to walk around the resort, but we saw beautiful sunrises over the savanna from our balcony at Kidani-I was getting up very early every morning just to sit and watch the day begin. The animals are still out that early and were often sleeping under a tree just outside our villa. If you do not have a savanna view you could walk out to the viewing area off the lobby.

Due to the Savannah, AKL Kidani and Jambo are not really what I consider beautiful walking resorts.

Unlike others where you have beautiful landscape, fountains and lakes, at AKL you will be walking in the parking lot pretty much.

Click on the map link and then zoom in and you will pretty much see what is available.

Here is a map. Map

I also agree that it is a nice walk to Jambo. It doesn't compare with the other resorts in terms of lakes, grass etc but if you can appreciate the difference I think you will enjoy it.

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely do the walk to Jambo at least once - I'd also like to try watching the sunrise over the savanna - sounds fantastic :thumbsup2 We don't have the savanna view (boys chose a 2-br standard view over a 1-br savanna view), but I'm good with the "public" viewing areas.

Beaslyboo, you'll be just arriving as we're leaving - I'll be so jealous at that point.....

We don't have the savanna view (boys chose a 2-br standard view over a 1-br savanna view), but I'm good with the "public" viewing areas.

Beaslyboo, you'll be just arriving as we're leaving - I'll be so jealous at that point.....

In the beginning we always booked the savanna view, now I'm just as happy w/ the standard view, less points, longer stays!

Have a great time!

Our next trip is going to be a standard view too. Allows for a longer stay. It's just a great resort to be at no matter where your room is at. There are better viewing areas at Kadani then at Jambo house that anyone can enjoy anytime. FYI, the animals stay on the savanna all the time except through some of the morning hours. That is when they are moved back stage for maintenance of the grounds.

And the animals are on the savannas for 22 of 24 hours each day. While in the barns, they receive any special diets, and undergo routine health checks. The four savannas are staggered, so not all the animals are off all savannas at the same time. Sunset savanna goes in around 8 am IIRC, and some folks get diappointed at not seeing animals then. They are back quickly.

This is just a drawing but gives you a good idea of the paths you have to walk on. Note that at Kidani the walkways go as far as the far end of the pool area (I believe that's the Rafikki elevators) beyond that, further north, is savanna. You could easily start your walk from there, go down to the garage, out to the pool, wind your way up and around the pool area (very nice), past the fitness center, the entrance and onto Jambo.

There are also tennis, shuffleboard and basketball courts near the southern end of Kidani where the walkway crosses to the left and goes off pic. We've yet to use them, but it might be fun to take out some rackets and bat a ball about for a bit.

Kidani-1.jpg

This is just a drawing but gives you a good idea of the paths you have to walk on. Note that at Kidani the walkways go as far as the far end of the pool area (I believe that's the Rafikki elevators) beyond that, further north, is savanna. You could easily start your walk from there, go down to the garage, out to the pool, wind your way up and around the pool area (very nice), past the fitness center, the entrance and onto Jambo.

There are also tennis, shuffleboard and basketball courts near the southern end of Kidani where the walkway crosses to the left and goes off pic. We've yet to use them, but it might be fun to take out some rackets and bat a ball about for a bit.

Kidani-1.jpg

That's very helpful - thank you! :thumbsup2

In the beginning we always booked the savanna view, now I'm just as happy w/ the standard view, less points, longer stays!

Have a great time!

Yup, did the savanna view the first 2 times, now we just do standard. Plenty of viewing areas all over the resort.

As you can see from the map, the savannahs are on the east side of the resort. Just off the lobby, on either side, you can go out on the balcony and sit in a rocking chair and watch the sun rise. Watch the colors spread over the savannah, along with the animals grazing. Very nice!

You can also see on the map that when you go out of the lobby of Kidani (by the pool), you can walk around the west side of the building to the Jambo House lobby. We do that all the time instead of taking the shuttle van. By the time you are waiting for the van, getting loaded in, drive over, and unload, you could have walked.

Lot's of lizards, foliage, and a pretty peaceful walk.

You can walk on the inside of the building too. It's very interesting. There are authentic African artifacts everywhere as you walk on all floors. It makes for an interesting stroll through the halls to see the decor.

Have a great time!

As you can see from the map, the savannahs are on the east side of the resort. Just off the lobby, on either side, you can go out on the balcony and sit in a rocking chair and watch the sun rise. Watch the colors spread over the savannah, along with the animals grazing. Very nice!

You can also see on the map that when you go out of the lobby of Kidani (by the pool), you can walk around the west side of the building to the Jambo House lobby. We do that all the time instead of taking the shuttle van. By the time you are waiting for the van, getting loaded in, drive over, and unload, you could have walked.

Lot's of lizards, foliage, and a pretty peaceful walk.

You can walk on the inside of the building too. It's very interesting. There are authentic African artifacts everywhere as you walk on all floors. It makes for an interesting stroll through the halls to see the decor.

Have a great time!

Thanks! Getting so excited - only 5 days until we leave :dance3:

Bring very comfortable walking shoes for walking the hallways here! Am here 3 days now and have had enough of it.....the hallway expeditions that is. Yes the rooms are nice and we got a kick out of the animals on the savannah the first day ....but not enough to compensate for the extremely long walk to the lobby and pool. It's tedious in the morning but in the evening after a day of walking around the parks in the heat facing the 10 minute walk from your car ( if you're lucky) makes me think that a room in a Holiday Inn is very tempting right now. 10 mins sounds nothing I know but when you're designated parking area is always full and you have to park 3 sections away( tonight we had to park right out at the exit so added 5 more mins onto very tired feet and backs with shopping bags) you begin to really question the DVC mantra of 'Welcome Home'! Even though I requested to be near the lobby after reading advice on here we're miles away so if we ever did stay here again ( right now DH is refusing to!)I wouldn't choose Savanah view. .....am too tired at this stage to bother with the animals!

I'm not sure I agree with all of the issues about walking at Kidani.

I have stayed at Kidani, Jambo House, Sarasota Springs, Pop Century, Cabins at Fort Wilderness, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans, and Grand Floridian. I have been to almost all other resorts as well.

Each one has their walking. I've not stayed or been in any resort where there wasn't some bit of walking to do. Walking to any pool, to any lobby, to the gift shop, counter service restaurant, etc.

Truth be told, I walked the most at SSR. I walked a lot at Pop Century. I walked the least at GF, but I still had to walk quite a bit to get to the different places at the resort.

If the parking is an issue, you can do valet, which isn't that much $$, and save yourself some walking.

There is always going to be a lot of walking at WDW. Whether at a water park, theme park, DTD, resort, or wherever.

I've stayed at Kidani four times now, and have stayed on the Pembe Savannah, which is farthest from the lobby, but still I have found it no farther than any other resort.

Maybe next time I'll hook a pedometer on my belt and measure it all out. My guess is that it all averages out to be about the same with very little difference between resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter