"Walking" a Reservation

Should DVC implement more restrictive policies toward reservation modifications?

• Yes

Votes: 72 38.7%
  • No

Votes: 114 61.3%

• Total voters
Nov 1-7, there was a day in the middle that was not available, it seems like it was the 3rd but maybe it was the 2nd.
At 11 months, it's impossible for a day in the middle to be unavailable. You must have been booking a few days later.

Nov 1-7, there was a day in the middle that was not available, it seems like it was the 3rd but maybe it was the 2nd.

So, what I saw - there were walkers. Once they walked past I just booked. It's one of those self feeding systems where people are so concerned they are walking when walking isn't required. I did not book right at 8am in the morning, it was that afternoon. I was also prepared to book P/G because I had seen that both standard and boardwalk view had days missing but when I looked later that day the boardwalk view was open.

At 11 months, it's impossible for a day in the middle to be unavailable. You must have been booking a few days later.

These were 2BR's and at BWV that means only lock-offs. And that in turn means there could be days in the middle unavailable. The studios had been booking up.

These were 2BR's and at BWV that means only lock-offs. And that in turn means there could be days in the middle unavailable. The studios had been booking up.
Nope, that's impossible. Even it it's a lock-off; if the first day is available, the whole stay is available.

Nope, that's impossible. Even it it's a lock-off; if the first day is available, the whole stay is available.

Of course - I was focused on rooms a day or two in advance being gone and not about the first day also.

My existing and waitlist was created on 12/2 which appears to be the day after the window opened based on a request being made for the same date but in 2017 (I used the 'check when you can reserve tool' on the DVC site for 11/1/2017). Would the leap year make a one day difference on the resv window opening? I swear I made it the day the window opened not the day after. It was very important to me to get those dates and I knew it would be an aggressively sought after week. I remember counting down for the window to open so if I was a day late, I don't know how I did that :(.

Last edited:
My existing and waitlist was created on 12/2 which appears to be the day after the window opened based on a request made for the same date but in 2017 (I used the check when you can reserve tool for 2017). Would the leap year make a one day difference on the resv window opening? I swear I made it the day the window opened not the day after. It was very important to me to get those dates and I knew it would be an aggressively sought after week. I remember counting down for the window to open so if I was a day late, I don't know I did that :(

That would make a bit more sense that you were a day late. ::yes:: With short months and leap years it can get confusing.

That would make a bit more sense that you were a day late. ::yes:: With short months and leap years it can get confusing.
"Impossible" might have been a strong word. I have seen mistakes where room inventory was not properly loaded or rooms were taken out for refurbishment causing some issues. And fixed-weeks could cause that to happen in the future, but it's all exceedingly unlikely. And, if inventory does show up incorrectly, it can be fixed by getting a supervisor on the phone.

I didn't vote. It would depend on the restriction.

I would not want every date change to be a cancel and rebook. But I would be OK with a "No modification to reservations made between 10-11 months in advance until 10 months prior to arrival" restriction. I'd couple that with a change to allow a reservation of up to 14 nights (instead of 7) to accommodate our overseas members who prefer longer stays. That wouldn't totally stop walking, but it would get rid of almost all of it.

I didn't vote. It would depend on the restriction.

I would not want every date change to be a cancel and rebook. But I would be OK with a "No modification to reservations made between 10-11 months in advance until 10 months prior to arrival" restriction. I'd couple that with a change to allow a reservation of up to 14 nights (instead of 7) to accommodate our overseas members who prefer longer stays. That wouldn't totally stop walking, but it would get rid of almost all of it.
I would support something similar to that maybe not the whole month. I totally agree with allowing 14 nights, I had to make my DD's Aulani honeymoon resv in two parts and I don't own there so had to wait until the 7 month window opened. It was for a slower time of year (Sept) so we were lucky.

I confess that I am guilty of using a form of walking for a 7 mo. reservation for a studio at VGC. There just simply aren't enough of them and our entire trip hinged on securing one. Although I only wanted a few days I went online early and booked an entire week starting a few days before the actual date that I wanted. Once we hit the actual day that I wanted I called & canceled off the beginning. I consoled myself by thinking that releasing the extra dates probably granted someone their waitlist and made them happy that it came thru so fast. :rolleyes2

I think booking outside of the WDW resorts is the only time I would resort to that method - when there really aren't other DVC options. If going to WDW we usually have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice scenario in place when booking outside of our home resort at the 7 month window. We would be disappointed if we couldn't get our 1st choice but we'd get over it and move on to whatever our 2nd choice was. Trying to plan a trip to other destinations (like DL or Aulani or HHI) makes it trickier.

I'm tempted to try walking for an AKL concierge studio in June of next year. It's our 20th anniversary and I thought it would be a nice splurge if I can score it! It wouldn't be for a full week but for maybe a 5-night Sunday-Friday stay. We do own at AKL so I could jump on right at the 11 month mark.

"Impossible" might have been a strong word. I have seen mistakes where room inventory was not properly loaded or rooms were taken out for refurbishment causing some issues. And fixed-weeks could cause that to happen in the future, but it's all exceedingly unlikely. And, if inventory does show up incorrectly, it can be fixed by getting a supervisor on the phone.
I agree, not impossible, as Anal Annie's situation indicates but highly unlikely I think. Giving way to my conspiracy theory nature and a vague recollection that I did try to walk it but was not successful so chalked it up to goofing up the process, I think there is something peculiar about the whole situation. But live and learn. If that's my biggest complaint these days, I'm doing pretty good. Thanks for the discussion and trying to straighten me out lol.

IN MY OPINION...

Personally, I don't see DVC taking action on this. Most members are simply unaware of the practice so they're not going to complain. The practice doesn't harm Disney, and there's no reason for Disney to take any action at this point. Placing restrictions on booking is going to harm the flexibility of the reservation system, so I'm not sure I'd want any changes. As I said, “the cure may be worse than the disease”.

I have never walked a reservation, and someone walking a reservation has never harmed me, as I have never been locked out of booking what I want. I get the reservation I want - 100% of the time - because I book my home resort at the 11-month window and I don't book he hard-to-get types of reservations. So, I have no skin in this game and am fine with the way things work now.

That's my opinion. What's yours?

My guess is that there the majority will vote "No" on the poll.

Mike...thanks of all, thanks for the poll and the detailed informational set up. I did vote "yes", but only because there wasn't a "maybe". It would depend on what the restrictions are.

Personally, I think that the process of walking a reservation is worse than the old "day by day" reservation process that preceded it. At least with the "day by day" process, no one was booking villas for nights that they never intended to use. And everyone was on equal footing each day. I agree that DVC will probably not take any action on this, but then again why did they change the booking policy that eliminated "day by day" booking?

I don't like a system that allows and even encourages people to book days they have no intention of using and tieing up inventory in this manner. But I also find no fault with people who choose to do this. They are just using the system with the rules that Disney established. So I wouldn't mind something to discourage this, but I don't know what it might be since there are plenty of legitimate times when people have to move their vacation timing a few days.

I only walk when I need to book special rooms like Grand villas at BW during Dec periods. I did notice this year though that at least at BWV more rooms were being walked than in previous years. I normally never bother to walk 2 bedroom units but saw standard view studios and board walk view studios were being walked as well. 11 month window is much less a guarantee unless you are happy to pay boardwalk view points for pool view in which case they are always open at 11 month . I had to start walking much earlier than normal as I went online to watch what was happening and saw the walking starting in early Nov for grand villas. Started first day one became open to get on the walk and see now that they are no longer open or able to book. So for some rooms you have to walk or you will not get them. Standard view is also not available for studio or two bedroom and BWV is also not available . Once people walk thru then some may open up or be snatched by people keeping a close eye on inventory. I usually don't have to walk for short trips but my big family trips every couple years require it.

New member, but I bought at BWV to take advantage of the standard rooms. I'm a busy professional who doesn't really have the time to mess around with things like walking. Fortunately, we won't usually travel during fall, but do often go during marathon in Jan. I don't want to see any severe changes, but would like something to discourage multiple moves within a month of the original reservation.

Walking is not difficult or time consuming once you know what you are doing. I have a full time job which requires a lot of travel out of the country and I can fit it in. I remember in the old days it was harder to do but now its pretty painless. You have to use both online service and then member services once a week only to move your days. I have never waited more than 5 minutes for my calls to go thru. In the past you had to wait 20 min or more and there was nothing you could do online. The more points you have the easier it is, as if you walk thru high points periods when you ultimately will not be using that many points it could require you to borrow which would not be good. With the online booking you can pick where your points will come from rather than hope the cast member does it correctly. Things have much improved but demand is much higher now than ever before.

My work schedule does not afford the opportunity for daily 8:00am online bookings and 9:00am calls to Member Services. Should I need to make a reservation, I must plan my morning schedule around the online booking or call to Member Services. When planning for Flower & Garden or Food & Wine, we welcome the opportunity to stay at AKV or OKW and have not experienced an issue with booking either resort for our desired length of stay.

If someone has the time to walk a reservation weeks in advance and it means that much to their family, then so be it. We enjoy visiting Walt Disney World three times a year, but I am well over my theme park warrior and advanced planning days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter