• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walking a reservation

amystevekai&bump

DIS Veteran
Hi, I just wondered if I could just check something with you please??:lovestruc

I am considering doing this today, mainly because I am working all day on Monday when my 'real' 11 month window opens and I will be absolutely gutted if I couldn't get exactly what I want this holiday.:rolleyes:

Normally I wouldn't consider it and would be happy with whatever, but I have built up our first (and probably one and only) christmas trip up so much in my head (having planned it for over 18 months already:lmao:) that I want it to be perfect, which means I really want that MK view studio at BLT!!!:santa:

I think I am right in saying that if I am able to book 7 nights today (6th Dec to 12th Dec inclusive), then I won't have to ring again until 12th Jan to 'walk' the booking, as no one else can book my room until 13th Jan- is that right??

Many thanks for any info!! :thumbsup2

Although the rules allow "walking", it has really been frustrating to me that when I call at the 11 month window (first thing in the morning!) that Member Services only has a wait list available for what we need at our home resort. The frustration comes in when the CM says that we should be able to get what we need as the calender moves forward along with all of the walking reservations they handle.

There are always ways around the intent of everything; it is like trying to work with the government. Every line is filled with those that have discovered the loop hole.

amystevekai&bump - I really don't mean to Flame you; just yesterday I had to accept a wait listing for my December trip dates. It is frustrating.

Although the rules allow "walking", it has really been frustrating to me that when I call at the 11 month window (first thing in the morning!) that Member Services only has a wait list available for what we need at our home resort. The frustration comes in when the CM says that we should be able to get what we need as the calender moves forward along with all of the walking reservations they handle.

There are always ways around the intent of everything; it is like trying to work with the government. Every line is filled with those that have discovered the loop hole.

amystevekai&bump - I really don't mean to Flame you; just yesterday I had to accept a wait listing for my December trip dates. It is frustrating.

I actually agree with you totally Dizny Dad:guilty:, and the only reason I am even considering doing this is because I can't face the thought of not being able to get what we want for a vacation that has been in the planning for so long.

I 'sold' my husband on DVC back in the summer and this will be our very first DVC vacation, he will not understand at all if we are unable to get our first choice, especially if, like you, we ring at exactly 11 months out. :sad2:

I don't want to do this either, but for this one occassion I have (unfortunately:sad2:) succumbed to the "can't beat them, join them" mentality and I sincerely apologise for doing this, as I know that it is ultimately unfair on those who haven't discovered the loophole.

It will not be something I will consider again (normally we will be vacationing in late Aug which I believe is a quieter & more expensive time points wise), and as I have said before we will be happy to get what we get from here onwards.

I think I am right in saying that if I am able to book 7 nights today (6th Dec to 12th Dec inclusive), then I won't have to ring again until 12th Jan to 'walk' the booking, as no one else can book my room until 13th Jan- is that right??

Amy - that should be correct and all you have to do.

Dizny Dad - I feel for you. I also was unable to get what we wanted for the last two days. Personally I am hoping there is walking going on so that my waitlist will come thru.

Amy - that should be correct and all you have to do.

Dizny Dad - I feel for you. I also was unable to get what we wanted for the last two days. Personally I am hoping there is walking going on so that my waitlist will come thru.

thanks ever so much Kathy :thumbsup2- glad for once I have managed to grasp something!!:lmao:

Many thanks for any info!! :thumbsup2
But someone calling tomorrow could book the 7th to the 13th, no?

Just to let you know - I rang member services ( I was the lady's first call of the day) and I still was unable to get my reservation!!:sad2:

So I guess 'walking' was the only option for me anyway, and I will have to keep on trying right through the week and hope I get lucky!!

I guess there is no other way to stop it,but I - like you Dizny Dad - find it very frustrating that we can't just ring at 11mths and be ok!!:rolleyes:

But someone calling tomorrow could book the 7th to the 13th, no?

The night of the 7th would have to be available for someone to call and begin a reservation tomorrow. But it wouldn't be the room that Amy already has a lock on b/c she would have that booked already. And her room would be tied up until the 12th so no one could book that exact room slot until the 13th.

This only works right at the 11 month window and because of the allowing to book 7 days.

Sorry you didn't get your room Amy - hopefully you can by the date you really need it otherwise there is the waitlist. My room wasn't available yet again today either if that makes you feel any better!

We could presume their intent but we really don't know. The reality is that they set the rules and we have to learn to deal with them. IMO, walking should not be allowed and it is easy to stop. Just make each change in dates a cancelation and rebooking as most every other system does. Problem solved, essentially no more walking and far less speculative type bookings in general. And while it may be negative to how some people want to use their membership, it is certainly fair for everyone. Another option, one I'd prefer not to see, would be a change/cancelation fee.

Sorry you didn't get your room Amy - hopefully you can by the date you really need it otherwise there is the waitlist. My room wasn't available yet again today either if that makes you feel any better!

thanks Kathy:lovestruc - I don't feel any better though - I just now feel sorry for you as well as Dizny Dad and myself!!!:goodvibes

IMO, walking should not be allowed and it is easy to stop. Just make each change in dates a cancelation and rebooking as most every other system does. Problem solved, essentially no more walking and far less speculative type bookings in general.

I agree with you completely (!!!). With that said, though, as long as it's available, I'll be using it to book those hard-to-come-by reservations. I just wish that Disney didn't allow it so I wouldn't have to feel like such a jerk for doing it. :guilty:

I agree with you completely (!!!). With that said, though, as long as it's available, I'll be using it to book those hard-to-come-by reservations. I just wish that Disney didn't allow it so I wouldn't have to feel like such a jerk for doing it. :guilty:

I couldn't agree with you more Crystal - thats EXACTLY how I feel too!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I called Dec 31st hoping to make reservations for Dec 1-7 2010. Well that was a day too early and they said I'd have to call back on Sat Jan 2nd. That was fine with me because AKV isn't a resort that will fill up that fast anyway.

But the member services rep on the phone suggested that I could book Nov 30 to Dec 7th now and drop the first day later. I was kind of shocked they would suggest it. I'd think they'd want to discourage that.

All that said, I'm not above doing it, I just don't want other people doing it. ;) BLT Magic Kinddom view will be hard to come by. I always thought it was a big mistake making only 30% of rooms magic kingdom view. With a different layout they could've done better I think.

That's what I meant by "they make the rules". If it's allowed, there's not anything wrong with using it. I don't think you have to feel bad, just like you didn't using day by day reservations before. They'll fix it at some point I'm confident but then you have to deal with what issues the fix brings. With either of the 2 I mentioned, they essentially fix the issue without causing other problems for the system other than the initial griping and moaning. It does change ones usage and planning somewhat but not that much. Both options save a LOT of time and likely $$$ for DVC in the MS arena. Other than the collection issue, neither cause significant unintended consequences from DVC's side that I can see. The only negative to the cancelation and rebooking approach is that they might spend more time looking than they do now but I think that time will be a drop in the bucket compared to what they're spending now.

Sounds to me like every post here is in step. Once loop holes in systems are discovered and begin to be used, they can not be easily removed since everyone is already in line and working the system.

We indeed must deal with the reality that that is the way we must play the game if we want to compete and be successful in getting our reservations.

And I agree with Crystal_27, we are forced in these type conditions to do things that make us feel like jerks. :sad2:

Just to let you know - I rang member services ( I was the lady's first call of the day) and I still was unable to get my reservation!!:sad2:

So I guess 'walking' was the only option for me anyway, and I will have to keep on trying right through the week and hope I get lucky!!

I guess there is no other way to stop it,but I - like you Dizny Dad - find it very frustrating that we can't just ring at 11mths and be ok!!:rolleyes:

Wait, you called 11 months PLUS and still couldn't get what you wanted? At your home resort! Could I ask what type of room and which resort?

All that said, I'm not above doing it, I just don't want other people doing it. ;) BLT Magic Kinddom view will be hard to come by. I always thought it was a big mistake making only 30% of rooms magic kingdom view. With a different layout they could've done better I think.

Hopefully this won't be an issue. I've read some horrible reports about the lousy design - especially the studios. It sounds like these rooms will be available - even at 7 months, maybe less.

I agree with everyone here that it's definitely a necessary annoyance.

My trip dates are set for 12/2 through 12/12. I was looking for a 2 br unit in AKV concierge. I know how hard they are to get, so I called Saturday morning, 1/2, to try for my reservation. Needless to say, there was NOTHING available in concierge - no units of any size. The woman I was speaking with told me that she already was showing no availability for the following night, either, but the night of the 4th was available, and that I should call back Monday morning! UGH!

So, in the meantime, I figured I would just book a BLT studio, planning to switch over to OKW when the 7 month booking window opens up. Well, you guessed it - no MK views ALREADY! I was fine with that because I didn't have very many BLT points left to work with, anyway, and was actually hoping for a standard view (which I got), but it still surprised me that the MK view studios were already gone.

It's VERY frustrating! But, on a happier note, I DID luck out and get that concierge room I was hoping for - just not for my initial dates. Oh well - saves me some precious points anyway, I suppose!

Wow, this is the first I've read about this issue. I've got my alarm set to book my December reservation and I bet any money that I won't get what I want either (hoping to reserve a THV). So much for having home resort advantage. Hopefully, the waitlist will come through, since I'll have 10 months, right?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter