Walking a Reservation - On what day do you call to modify?

I also took it as meaning that if they booked less days initially could they still walk and would answer that yes, that can be done. I'm wondering if we have a disconnect in that I don't think that means the start date for the walk changes and maybe you are assuming it does?

Otherwise, whether the owner books 7 days initially or 2 days or somewhere in between there isn't any way another owner can jump in on their reservation as long as they stay ahead of the 11 month window. The only difference will be the number of times they need to call to modify before they get the reservation they want. Of course if they are looking for a 7 night reservation they might as well walk 7 nights unless there's something like a season change and borrowing might have to occur. But if one wants to walk with fewer nights it just means more phone calls to stay ahead of other owners booking at 11 months. Walking less than 7 nights does not place their reservation in jeopardy though if it's done correctly.
Again the caveat is that IF they get the initial reservation. Booking less than 7 days initially reduces the chances of getting the reservation initially. The only reason not to book a full 7 days and drop later is if one doesn't have sufficient points to do so.

Again the caveat is that IF they get the initial reservation. Booking less than 7 days initially reduces the chances of getting the reservation initially. The only reason not to book a full 7 days and drop later is if one doesn't have sufficient points to do so.

I will admit you are losing me with the thought that booking less than 7 days initially reduces the chance of getting the reservation initially. Whether booking 5 nights or 7 nights no one starts further than 11 months out.

Throwing walking out of the equation, for example, I want Dec 1-4 and another owner wants Dec 1-7th. Both of us will book on January 1st.

Now, say both of us actually want different dates - I want Dec 11-14th and they want Dec 11-17th. We both can start walking on the same date, and I'll use the Dec 1st booking (but yes, it is key to pick a day to actually get it started and this day could be way back in November if necessary or even further but we both would be right at the 11 month window, whatever that date is, to start). Since I'm walking with fewer nights I need to call and modify my dates on Jan 4 to Dec 4-7th and the other owner doesn't need to call until Dec 7th and will change to Dec 7-13th. On the 7th I have to make my second call and would modify to Dec 7-10th. Then I'd make my third call on Jan 10th to modify to Dec 10-13th. One day later I could call and have my Dec 11-14th dates (4 calls total to modify). And on that same date the other owner would make their second call to modify and finish their walk with their Dec 11-17th dates. The owner walking 7 nights had no advantage over me in starting the walk though.

Last edited:
If the initial date for beginning the walk is available for 7 nights then it is available for less that 7 nights. OP will just have to make more calls to walk it.

I will admit you are losing me with the thought that booking less than 7 days initially reduces the chance of getting the reservation initially. Whether booking 5 nights or 7 nights no one starts further than 11 months out.

Throwing walking out of the equation, for example, I want Dec 1-4 and another owner wants Dec 1-7th. Both of us will book on January 1st.

Now, say both of us actually want different dates - I want Dec 11-14th and they want Dec 11-17th. We both can start walking on the same date, and I'll use the Dec 1st booking (but yes, it is key to pick a day to actually get it started and this day could be way back in November if necessary or even further but we both would be right at the 11 month window, whatever that date is, to start). Since I'm walking with fewer nights I need to call and modify my dates on Jan 4 to Dec 4-7th and the other owner doesn't need to call until Dec 7th and will change to Dec 7-13th. On the 7th I have to make my second call and would modify to Dec 7-10th. Then I'd make my third call on Jan 10th to modify to Dec 10-13th. One day later I could call and have my Dec 11-14th dates (4 calls total to modify). And on that same date the other owner would make their second call to modify and finish their walk with their Dec 11-17th dates. The owner walking 7 nights had no advantage over me in starting the walk though.
They do if they book 7 nights earlier. I think you're assuming starting at the same time but I'm assuming you start earlier if booking 7 nights compared to less.

If the initial date for beginning the walk is available for 7 nights then it is available for less that 7 nights. OP will just have to make more calls to walk it.
But the less than 7 nights would have been available earlier. 2 days earlier if only booking 5 nights. For someone one truly needs to walk, this could be critical.

They do if they book 7 nights earlier. I think you're assuming starting at the same time but I'm assuming you start earlier if booking 7 nights compared to less.

But the less than 7 nights would have been available earlier. 2 days earlier if only booking 5 nights. For someone one truly needs to walk, this could be critical.
In your scenario why would someone start the booking 2 days later just because they only are booking 5 nights?

In your scenario why would someone start the booking 2 days later just because they only are booking 5 nights?
Because it improves the chances of getting the 5 nights desired.

But no matter how many nights you want to book you would always want to start the walk when you have the best chance to get it started. Why assume wanting less nights would mean starting a different night?

Because it improves the chances of getting the 5 nights desired.

:confused: Starting later might mean it lessens the chance of getting the 5 nights. (Might not too depending on what one is trying to get but if starting later improves the chance then the person booking with 7 nights would should also start later)

We'll have to disagree. If you and I want the same 5 nights and I start 2 days earlier than you, I have a better chance of getting it, if for no other reason, I have 2 chances to start.

:confused: Starting later might mean it lessens the chance of getting the 5 nights. (Might not too depending on what one is trying to get but if starting later improves the chance then the person booking with 7 nights would should also start later)
It does. Remember the reason to walk is that it is difficult to get or at least you think it might be.

We'll have to disagree. If you and I want the same 5 nights and I start 2 days earlier than you, I have a better chance of getting it, if for no other reason, I have 2 chances to start.
But I am not stupid enough to start 2 days later than you. I will start on the same day you start and I will only book 5 nights because I don't have enough points to book 7. But I will be sure to call and walk my reservation so that I keep adding days until I get to the dates I need. I'll have to make more calls than you, but I'll still get the nights I need.

It does. Remember the reason to walk is that it is difficult to get or at least you think it might be.

Yes, so why would I start 2 days later? I don't have to. No matter who is walking they will want to start at the time that they can get the reservation. I would start at the same time and just have to call more often.

And anyone would want to have some leeway to start walking if they're going thru the bother of walking.

Last edited:
But I am not stupid enough to start 2 days later than you. I will start on the same day you start and I will only book 5 nights because I don't have enough points to book 7. But I will be sure to call and walk my reservation so that I keep adding days until I get to the dates I need. I'll have to make more calls than you, but I'll still get the nights I need.

Yes, but why would I start 2 days later? I don't have to. No matter who is walking they will want to start at the time that they can get the reservation. I would start at the same time and just have to call more often.
That is the basis for my answer. Booking less than 7 days is inherently starting later than one could and it gives others the chance of shutting you out. Once you get the first night you should be set assuming you call before the next day opens up but your chances of getting the first night are less booking less than 7 nights out than a full 7 nights. Whether it matters for a given reservation depends on how early one starts and the relative demand of the reservation in question.

I think the point others are trying to make is that the person only wanting 5 days would still attempt to start their walk on the same date as the person who wants 7 days. Then they just would call more frequently to change their dates. A walk doesn't only have to be for 7 or 5 days prior to the desired check in date. One theoretically could walk a reservation for weeks by always modifying it before the last day they have locked in. My understanding of walking is to simply get a reservation for what you perceive to be an "easier" time to book (or keep trying everyday in advance of your actual travel dates until you succeed). If that's the case and you think check in on Nov 15th is a lot easier that check in on Dec 1st then you try to book for 5 nights on Nov 15th and move the reservation forward every 4 days vs moving it every 6 days had you booked it for the full 7 days. Either scenario should yield the same result asssuming you captured the initial reservation you would just have more more/phone calls if you don't book the full 7 days allowed.

I think the point others are trying to make is that the person only wanting 5 days would still attempt to start their walk on the same date as the person who wants 7 days. Then they just would call more frequently to change their dates. A walk doesn't only have to be for 7 or 5 days prior to the desired check in date. One theoretically could walk a reservation for weeks by always modifying it before the last day then have locked in. My understanding of walking is to simply get a reservation for what you perceive to be an "easier" time to book (or keep trying everyday in advance of your actual travel dates until you succeed). If that's the case and you think check in on Nov 15th is a lot easier that check in on Dec 1st then you try to book for 5 nights on Nov 15th and move the reservation forward every 4 days vs moving it every 6 days had you booked it for the full 7 days. Either scenario should yield the same result asssuming you captured the initial reservation you would just have more more/phone calls if you don't book the full 7 days allowed.
I understand the point, but IMO it's inherently later. In addition it also adds more phone calls if one walks for any length of time even if one gets it. But if one doesn't have the points to use that might be all one can do.

That is the basis for my answer. Booking less than 7 days is inherently starting later than one could ........

But it isn't inherently that way. There is never a day that you can book earlier than I to start an initial reservation. 8am 11 months out on any day that we pick. 11 months+ is actually the equalizer between large point holders and small point holders. Then the difference becomes the amount of time (calls) that a small point holder has to devote.

I understand the point, but IMO it's inherently later. In addition it also adds more phone calls if one walks for any length of time even if one gets it. But if one doesn't have the points to use that might be all one can do.
Oh I absolutely agree with you it is silly to only walk 5 days instead of 7 if you have the points avail and it would result in more phone calls/work for both the dvc member and member services . I was just commenting on that booking 5 vs 7 didn't matter to a "dedicated" walker and could accomplish the same objective.

But it isn't inherently that way. There is never a day that you can book earlier than I to start an initial reservation. 8am 11 months out on any day that we pick. 11 months+ is actually the equalizer between large point holders and small point holders. Then the difference becomes the amount of time (calls) that a small point holder has to devote.
My view is you're always 2 days later than you could be no matter how early you start, we're just looking at it from opposite ends. I'd agree is we start the same and and get the reservation, it's just more phone calls. I'd still suggest that no matter when you start, someone else could have booked those 5 days 2 days earlier than you started thus the chances of getting the first reservation is inherently less.

My view is you're always 2 days later than you could be no matter how early you start, we're just looking at it from opposite ends. I'd agree is we start the same and and get the reservation, it's just more phone calls. I'd still suggest that no matter when you start, someone else could have booked those 5 days 2 days earlier than you started thus the chances of getting the first reservation is inherently less.
Nope.

So you would't agree that if you had called today at 8 am for 5 nights, those 5 nights could have been booked at 8 am Sunday as part of a 7 day booking? And had enough people done that such that there were no rooms available, you wouldn't be shut out to start today?

So you would't agree that if you had called today at 8 am for 5 nights, those 5 nights could have been booked at 8 am Sunday as part of a 7 day booking? And had enough people done that such that there were no rooms available, you wouldn't be shut out to start today?

But why would one assume that the person starting the 5 day walk waited until today to call.? He/She can start at any tine, just as the 7 day walker can. Perhaps the 5 day walker started last Friday. If so, it's possible that he/she shut out the 7 day walker who started on Sunday. IMO, that's the assumption Jean & Kat & the others are challenging.

We have no way to know when someone is going to start walking. . I think we all agree that the trick is to get the first reservation. Once that is secured, it's just a matter of how often you call (assuming Disney isn't taking rooms out of inventory more than 11 months in advance).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter