Walkie Talkies?

sherr

Mouseketeer
Hey, do these things work on the ship?
Won't bring them if they don't which will dissappoint dh. His new toy for Christmas.
Thanks.

sherr

We used them for the first time last year on the Wonder. They worked well (motorola talk abouts $50). Just make sure that you agree on a few channels in case the number you chose is in use. We chose #3 but we could hear others who had chosen the same channel. It took us a while to find another numbered channel so we could just talk to eachother. Decide on a few channel numbers before you decide to use them.

sherr,

I have heard good and bad about walkie-talkies on the cruise. We haven't decided yet if we are going to bring ours.

Are you going on the February 21 cruise? By the days left on your countdown clock, it looks as if you might be. If you are, you should check out our thread in the "Cruise Meet" section of the boards. We also have a group set up on Yahoo where we exchange messages and photos. Please join us!

bassoongirl

We have a fancy set with subchannels, channel lock, and privacy features. They don't have too good of a range, depending on where we are, and I suspect it's because of all the metal on the ship. If yours don't have a privacy feature, be careful about making arrangements to meet your kids on the air. You never know who might overhear you (I know, I'm paranoid, but you can never be too careful).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

My DH is a gadget/electonics geek, so we've had them for a while. I couldn't imagine being on the ship with out them. Yes, there were times they didn't work all that well - but they did work good enough. We also had a code word to switch channels if 1 of us thought it was necessary. If our DD was not able to reach us via the radios, she was told to go to the club and page us.

Worked out great!

We used them last week on the magic and overall they worked very well and at times were invaluable, as we hvae 3 younger kids and many times my wife and I were separated yet needed to coordinate efforts.

A few times it was hard to hear, but 90% of the time it was great. We did have to switch channels about 4 times to find one that others were not talking on. They worked very well on Castaway Cay.

found the walkie talkies can be very annoyingto others. People do not have the common curtesy to remove themselves from the Buena Vista Theatre or the Walt Disney theatre to hold conversations. The most glaring lack of etiquitte occoured while we tried to watch Brother Bear and these two little darlings just couldn't stop talking on them. We used them during our week long visit to WDW before the cruise and it was great. We did have to search for channels though.
Just my two cents worth.

Originally posted by Riodog
found the walkie talkies can be very annoyingto others. People do not have the common curtesy to remove themselves from the Buena Vista Theatre or the Walt Disney theatre to hold conversations.

I though they were very annoying too....it was like the people on the nextel phones on the trains here that are always beeping and you can hear their whole conersation...in the Buena Vista theatre one woman was talking to her kids on them during the Harry Potter movie...if you are going to bring them please have the courtesy to turn them off during movies and shows!!

Originally posted by inkkognito
If yours don't have a privacy feature, be careful about making arrangements to meet your kids on the air. You never know who might overhear you (I know, I'm paranoid, but you can never be too careful).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Good point....we just bought a set to bring with us. We're going to the parks after, so they may come in more handy then, but especially with our 11 year old, they may come in handy on the ship.

Brenda

Thanks all. Looks like we will pack them and use them discretely and considerately.

We are doing the Land/Sea vacation and will be at the World for the first 4 days so we will try them there as well. We have 10 year old twin dd and 6 year old dd so we will be able to keep in touch.

Sherr in chilly Illynois :(

we have a set of both the frs (family radio) 2mile and gmrs 5mile range. The GMRS work great. The FRS are fine, but reception is spotty depending on decks and cabins. GMRS work flawless $60 2 years ago at sams. They say u need a license from the FCC. I'm sure that applies to the usa only besides there are thousands of these things on the market today and they may have relaxed those rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter