• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walkie Talkies

michboro

DIS Veteran
Has anyone used walkie talkies on the ship? How is the reception?
Is there a certain brand/model that you would recommend?

A lot of people will say they barely work at all, but DS and I have used them for 4 cruises now and had great success with them. The only times they got iffy is when DS and I were really far apart, say one on deck 10 and one on deck 3, and both deep inside. But those times were few.

I guess the best thing I can tell you is to get some form of Motorola Talkabouts. I got a great deal on some Cobra's, and they were utter garbage. Back to the Motorola's!

We tried them on one cruise, they didn't work well so we haven't messed with them since than. We had decent ones (like $100 each), but found that we couldn't get a frequency where we weren't getting other people's stuff and sometimes couldn't clearly hear our own. Lots of static.

Bottom line, we didn't feel they were worth the hassle. We use a post-it note system now. If kid isn't where they said they would be, they return to the cabin and leave me a post it as to where they are.

HI! I just debarked from the Wonder today (Sunday).

I have been using and upgrading my walkie talkies for about 5 years and have Motorolas, Cobras, and Midlands....Most have been VHF models and have extended range. However, from extensive reseach, I learned that VHF works best for 'line-of-sight' usage whereas UHF works better when walls/buildings are involved.

I then came upon blackbox radios (balckboxradios.com). I wanted to invest in a good quality walklie talkie so I splurged on 2 of them. They worked great at DW and on the DCL (deck 10 to deck 2). These walkie talkies are military grade and are extremely high quality. The frequencies used are different from the other FSM radios so you will not get crosstalk. Research these yourself. You won't be disappointed. Buy them from another dealer on the intenet thought. If you buy them from the manufacturer you may have to pay a premium...

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter