Walker/Runner with bad knee

LinK

Wishes do come true!!
a half a marathon is on my bucket list. I need to do this. I may not be able to run the race but do you think i can walk it fast. Dx say i can still walk

There are many of us walkers, some faster than others but none the less, we are all athletes out to achieve our goals. Unless you have some serious debilitating issue, I would certainly think a half marathon and maybe more can be in your future. Good luck on your journey and ask away for any help.

You might want to check out Events/Competition

I am an avid runner (30+ miles per week) who has been dealt many set backs. Runners knee in both knees. I had an MRI on both. Went to PT and was introduced to Kinesio Tex Gold tape. This stuff is great. Make sure your knees are clean and apply it (youtube has many videos). I am now fighting plantar fasciitis in both feet. Podiatrist, shot, custom orthotic inserts, etc. You can surely walk/run but to walk the hole thing. I hate to see anyone walk a half marathon (race) but I guess it is better than those sitting on the couch eating chips! Good luck with your knee. If it keeps up I would definitely see an orthopedic.

You can walk the half if you want. Last year I had shoulder surgery three days before the Wine & Dine Half. I still wanted to participate in the event but with my arm in a sling and my recent surgery I could not run so I decided to walk the entire race. I did fine and finished in about 3 hours, so it can be done just maintain the 16-minute mile pace. I would also suggest that you tape your knee prior to the race to to stabilize it a bit.

No reason why you can't. I would recommend still training as though you were running and by that I mean using a plan to get up to the 13.1 miles. I would also make sure to check the minimum pace of the race you want to do. Some have faster pace requirements than others and you don't want to pay for a race and then realize you won't be able to finish it in time.

Good luck.

I don't run or walk as I used to, play tennis more often instead, but recall when running I developed a bad left knee. What helped me greatly was to weight lift, surprisingly. I think for me strengthening the knee muscles helps support it better. When I am to busy for a week to lift, I end up really feeling it in the left knee. It becomes sore and tender even when walking distance.

I eat a low carb diet and suspect that has helped my knees tenderness also as I've seen a few articles suggesting that high carbohydrate intake can be more inflammatory.

"How to reduce inflammation with food"

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...tionblog+(The+Blog+of+Michael+R.+Eades,+M.D.)

And also a book that I enjoyed reading and learning from, that can be seen on Runners World's web sight, that might be helpful. Good luck!

http://www.paleodietforathletesbook...artcode=1212840002466500001416268374320121109

No reason why you can't. I would recommend still training as though you were running and by that I mean using a plan to get up to the 13.1 miles. I would also make sure to check the minimum pace of the race you want to do. Some have faster pace requirements than others and you don't want to pay for a race and then realize you won't be able to finish it in time.

Good luck.
I agree with everyone who has posted so far. What is said in the quote is most important.

The Disney halfs require a 16 minute per mile pace. i would recommend training for a 15 minute per mile pace that will allow for some course weaving (always happens) and also will allow for a couple of picutres.

Otherwise, look for an event with a "forgiving" pace requirement. The Rock n Roll events are usually 18 minute mile pace and there are some events that a half goes with a marathon and you would have the entire time to complete your half as the marathoners have to complete the full.

My DH has double hip replacements and has managed to get his pace up to be able to do the Rock n Roll marathons. You CAN do it!

I walk my events and while I am at the back of the pack, I get the job done and my bling is just as meaningful to me as anyone else who is faster. I just struggle along a LOT longer.

Good luck to you whatever event you pick. Definitely find a plan and use that to train for your event. I like the John Bingham Marathoning for Mortals plan. There is pacing and training for both half and marathon training.

Please feel free to join in discussion on the Events/Competition side of WISH.

Best WISHes for whatever it is you choose to do. It is never too early to start training.

I had orthoscopic knee surgery in 2006 and was never a runner before then - I picked up races solely because they were going through the Disney parks. I think that my knee has gotten stronger as I have trained and participated...you just have to be careful about the way you use it, but it should actually be beneficial for you, and the feeling of finishing is amazing, no matter how long it takes you. Best of luck!

I am an avid runner (30+ miles per week) who has been dealt many set backs. Runners knee in both knees. I had an MRI on both. Went to PT and was introduced to Kinesio Tex Gold tape. This stuff is great.

First off, WOW! You must be really fast! I thought I was doing well with my 15 miles a week, but at my current speed, I dont have time to add many more miles.

OP I second the tape. I started using it a few months ago. I have found in only works on certain parts of me, but works really well when it stays stuck. :thumbsup2

jcieutat said:
I am an avid runner (30+ miles per week) who has been dealt many set backs. Runners knee in both knees. I had an MRI on both. Went to PT and was introduced to Kinesio Tex Gold tape. This stuff is great. Make sure your knees are clean and apply it (youtube has many videos). I am now fighting plantar fasciitis in both feet. Podiatrist, shot, custom orthotic inserts, etc. You can surely walk/run but to walk the hole thing. I hate to see anyone walk a half marathon (race) but I guess it is better than those sitting on the couch eating chips! Good luck with your knee. If it keeps up I would definitely see an orthopedic.

How does taping a knee compare to wearing a knee brace? When I starting running I thought my knee would be more comfortable if I could hold it so I bought a knee brace and that has worked for me. My longest run so far has been 7 miles and other than toe sore muscles, I've had no knee pain.

Thank you everyone for your ideas......I am starting to have some lower back trouble but I am still walking.

Bilberry said:
I don't run or walk as I used to, play tennis more often instead, but recall when running I developed a bad left knee. What helped me greatly was to weight lift, surprisingly. I think for me strengthening the knee muscles helps support it better. When I am to busy for a week to lift, I end up really feeling it in the left knee. It becomes sore and tender even when walking distance.

I eat a low carb diet and suspect that has helped my knees tenderness also as I've seen a few articles suggesting that high carbohydrate intake can be more inflammatory.

"How to reduce inflammation with food"

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/paleolithic-diet/how-to-reduce-inflammation-with-food/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+drmikenutritionblog+%28The+Blog+of+Michael+R.+Eades%2C+M.D.%29

And also a book that I enjoyed reading and learning from, that can be seen on Runners World's web sight, that might be helpful. Good luck!

http://www.paleodietforathletesbook.com/paleodietforathletesbook/index?keycode=222295&mktOfferId=RWD56988&product_code=122063&smartcode=1212840002466500001416268374320121109

I second the recommendation of weight lifting/strength training. I went through major knee rehab a few years ago and I still do my exercises religiously every other or few days. When I don't, I feel the pain from the weakening quad muscles. Leg extensions with ankle weight, squats, leg lifts (straight), jumping like jump rope, double step ups on the stairs, and things like side hops (like u r ice skating), skipping, etc are all part of my new PT maintenance.

Often times runners encounter injuries from overuse, bad form or an accident. Usually we seek the advice of a Dr who is trained to treat our ailments. Doctors are not running coaches and not very many of them know enough about running mechanics to offer anything more than, "don't run" or "no long distance running for you."

While I do not advise against seeking the advice, diagnoses and treatment from a doctor if you are hurt/injured, I highly advise seeking the advice of a running coach if you are injury prone.

The key to a long successful life of running, walking or run/walking is making sure we stay healthy, which is the reason most of us are out there.

Once the doctor diagnosesyour problem and offers his treatment, I would make sure you fully understand what they are diagnosing and what part of the body they believe to be injured. Then, with that information and the experience and knowledge of a running coach, you might be able to diagnose the problem. Your knee pain may actually be coming from many other things not in your knee.

As far as walking the half marathon, yes, you should be able to do so depending on the races cut off time. The Disney Half Marathon has a very generous cut off time and you can make it while walking every step if completion is your goal. As others have suggested, make sure you check the cut off times prior to registering to make sure your 18 min/mile pace will come in under the race cut off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter