Walk-up or day of reservations

Momtomouselover

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of leaving a day early and driving most of the way to orlando and stopping but if we make good time we could go all the way. If we do drive all the way to Disney does anyone have advice for day of reservations? Can we just walk in and request a room (prefer a value for one night)? If it is full will they call around for us or would we then need to drive around? Thanks for any advice.

Does anyone have recommendations for good, clean and safe hotels outside of Disney if all the values or discounted mods are full?

It's best to call the central reservations line: 407-W-DISNEY. Assuming you have a cell phone, you can call on your way down, once you're sure of your arrival day.

For offsite resort recommendations, check out our Orlando Hotels and Attractions board.

I agree with Lynne M that it would be better to call once you know when you'll be arriving at DW because the CM will be able to check availability at all of the resorts for you. However, expect to pay rack rate when booking on the day of.

Disney resorts are different than any other hotel, since it's a destination. They are almost at or near capacity the entire year. You should call ahead before showing up, or if you want to just show up, try staying at a hotel off property. It would likely be cheaper anyhow.

nkereina said:
Disney resorts are different than any other hotel, since it's a destination. They are almost at or near capacity the entire year. You should call ahead before showing up, or if you want to just show up, try staying at a hotel off property. It would likely be cheaper anyhow.

I heard that is not true. I'm not sure but I read the deluxes usually operate at 88% capacity and some times lower BUT this is what I read on a travel sight. I do not know the accuracy.

Anyhoo, op we have done this but we've done what the previous poster suggested, usually around the Ga. State line we call central reservation. So far it's work well. Only did it twice both times it was late August when crowds start dropping.
What usually happens with us is we are driving from NJ and since we leave at 3 am we make good time and just decided to keep going.
Great thing about Kissimmee though is it's chock full of motels and hotels. even if you call central reservation and nothing is available you'll find a decent place close to the resorts.
When are you going?
You're only talking about 1 night before your reservation kicks in right?

On our last trip school got cancelled on our departure day, so we left early and made it all the way to Disney by 11 pm. Too late to get any value out of our Disney hotel, even if we had been able to add on.

We used hotwire to get a room, and ended up at the Baymont Inn & Suites RIGHT outside of the Celebration entrance to the property for just $28 (call it $40 with FL taxes, though). Honestly, I loved the room we got there - it was a kids suite with a separate sleeping area for the kids and a queen bed. I have not been similarly impressed with other Baymonts we've since been to (based on our level of impress with this one).

The next morning we were able to get up, out, stop by our resort (room was already ready! At 8 am! Wow, POFQ, you are amazing), and were at Epcot when they opened.

Where we immediately got in line for Elsa and Anna, who we saw close to 3 pm (yes, nearly 6 hour wait)(but that's for a different thread, now isn't it?).

Summary Point - try Hotwire (or the like) when you know you'll make it.

I would never, ever count on being able to get a room at WDW as a walk up!!!

As Ppers have said, book a room off site at hotels.com

just did a search for tomorrow, LOL Grand Floridian and Bay lake towers all have availability. great ready for sticker shock though!! 500 bucks for the night!!

The next morning we were able to get up, out, stop by our resort (room was already ready! At 8 am! Wow, POFQ, you are amazing), and were at Epcot when they opened.

Wonder if your POFQ room would have been ready at 11pm the night before? Something random and almost never happens, but if it was avail at 8am, it likely sat empty the night before.

A few years ago (June 2008) we arrived a day early with the intention of staying at a hotel near Disney for that night and then check in to the WL the next morning which started the first day of our reservation.
We got into town about 4pm and checked into...I believe it was a Super 8. Since it was early we decided to drive to the WL just to check it out ( We had never seen the Lodge). The second we walked into the lobby I looked at my wife and kids and said.."I don't care how much it cost, we're staying here tonight". At first sight we were blown away by the lodge!!!
I walked to the check-in counter and ask the CM if a room was available and told her that our reservation started the next day. She pulled up our ressie and informed us that a room was ready for us and we could check in immediately.
We went back to Super 8, got 1/2 my money back, grabbed our luggage, and spent and amazing 9 nights at the WL !!!
So yes, it is possible to walk in and get a room.

I heard that is not true. I'm not sure but I read the deluxes usually operate at 88% capacity and some times lower BUT this is what I read on a travel sight. I do not know the accuracy.

Anyhoo, op we have done this but we've done what the previous poster suggested, usually around the Ga. State line we call central reservation. So far it's work well. Only did it twice both times it was late August when crowds start dropping.
What usually happens with us is we are driving from NJ and since we leave at 3 am we make good time and just decided to keep going.
Great thing about Kissimmee though is it's chock full of motels and hotels. even if you call central reservation and nothing is available you'll find a decent place close to the resorts.
When are you going?
You're only talking about 1 night before your reservation kicks in right?

88% is probably the average which is relatively high for the industry. In some areas, hotels can go as low as 40 or 50% capacity during off seasons and slow times.

88% is probably the average which is relatively high for the industry. In some areas, hotels can go as low as 40 or 50% capacity during off seasons and slow times.
I can tell you for a fact that is not an accurate average occupancy rate for any Disney resort. The average occupancy rate is almost always in the mid to high 90%, and during busy periods, WDW resorts are often at 100% occupancy.
I happen to work for a very special mouse in his resorts ;) so I see the occupancy numbers daily. ;)

thelobstershanty said:
I can tell you for a fact that is not an accurate average occupancy rate for any Disney resort. The average occupancy rate is almost always in the mid to high 90%, and during busy periods, WDW resorts are often at 100% occupancy.
I happen to work for a very special mouse in his resorts ;) so I see the occupancy numbers daily. ;)

Disney resorts (DVC excluded) don't run at near-100 percent capacity year-round. In fact, Disney has had such a problem filling its deluxe resort rooms, Disney is contemplating converting some regular resort rooms into DVC villas (like what is being done at Poly).

Exactly what I said in my original post. I was quoting/correcting PP, who had mentioned the number 88% from somewhere.

I agree with you that WDW, or any resort destination, that occupancy rates are always very high. Unlike airport hotels or other hotels NOT in destination areas where it can really fluctuate.

So yes, it is possible to walk in and get a room.

My experience matches this. In September, I was at WDW with my mom. We were staying at CSR. She was having trouble sleeping with me in the room as she is used to complete silence in her house and I toss and turn in my sleep. From Epcot, I accessed the website and booked two nights at ASMu, which is on the same road as CSR so very convenient for me to drive back and forth. I was able to reserve a room with a discount even though it was a same-day reservation.

I would definitely check the website or call before deciding that you have to stay off-site. And, ask about a discount!

My experience matches this. In September, I was at WDW with my mom. We were staying at CSR. She was having trouble sleeping with me in the room as she is used to complete silence in her house and I toss and turn in my sleep. From Epcot, I accessed the website and booked two nights at ASMu, which is on the same road as CSR so very convenient for me to drive back and forth. I was able to reserve a room with a discount even though it was a same-day reservation.

I would definitely check the website or call before deciding that you have to stay off-site. And, ask about a discount!

my experience also. op wants value so that maybe a bit harder but I just checked the website. there is availability for every day in the upcoming week, all deluxes tomorrow and Monday but starting Tuesday there were opening at the mods. So it can be done.

With food and wine is this considered the slow season?

no discount offers that I could see.

I could just be extremely lucky also, lol I've always gotten ts dinner reservations the day of also and everyone swears that's impossible too. go figure.

Disney resorts (DVC excluded) don't run at near-100 percent capacity year-round. In fact, Disney has had such a problem filling its deluxe resort rooms, Disney is contemplating converting some regular resort rooms into DVC villas (like what is being done at Poly).
What ever you say. :confused3
All I know is that it is a very rare day that occupancy rates are in the 80% because what is not booked originally is taken up with over flows, rooms being shifted for counts, conventions,guests extending their stays, etc. The cast members who work the front office/desks at the resorts are kept steppin' for their entire shift, believe me. ;) WDW resorts are busy places. Yes there will always be a few rooms available here and there, there are 1,000's and 1,000's of disney rooms, but trying to get what you want, when you want it and where you want it--is not always easy in WDW resorts. I assists guests, on a daily basis, that are in house guests and are trying to extend their stays that can not get what they want without changing rooms, etc.
But that is just my experience, YMMV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter