WAlk to Disney Challenge... feel free to join

I'd love to join!! I'm 845.89 miles away from Disney's Art of Animation resort (aka my FAVORITE resort).

Hi everyone... OP here ... so glad to see this thread still alive :).... I have never been able to complete the challenge so going to give it another whirl.
I calcuated walking to disney from my house is 355 hours, so I am going to go by hours walking.

so 2/355 hours done......

What about cycling? Would I be welcome to join in? I'm just beginning a cycling program, and will be riding on the Mississippi River Levee near my house. I'm just a beginner, so it's unlikely that I'll be riding big chunks by way of centuries (100 mile trips). Mostly 3-5 miles at a time at first. According to the Google, WDW (Magic Kingdom, specifically) is 693 miles (cycling route miles, not interstate) from my house. Assuming an average of 3 miles per ride, it would take 231 rides. With 48 weeks, 2 days till our next WDW trip, I should be able to ride 3 miles per trip, 4.8 times a week to "arrive" on time!

As popular as running events are for Disney, and as much as they've been pushing health and fitness the last several years, I'm really quite surprised there isn't more for cyclists to do. Of course, elevation plays a big role in cycling... and there's not much of that going on in Florida... New Orleans either, for that matter (where I'm from). If I were really biking from my home to WDW the highest elevation I would attain is 299 ft above sea level, and the lowest would be -36. By contrast, if I were to bike to Disneyland, over the course of 1,928 miles, I'd climb as high as 5,430 ft, and as low as -187 ft!! Of course, at 3 miles per trip, it would take me 642.7 trips to get there! :snail:

I should ask though, is it OK to keep track in this thread, or start a new, cycling specific thread?

What about cycling? Would I be welcome to join in? I'm just beginning a cycling program, and will be riding on the Mississippi River Levee near my house. I'm just a beginner, so it's unlikely that I'll be riding big chunks by way of centuries (100 mile trips). Mostly 3-5 miles at a time at first. According to the Google, WDW (Magic Kingdom, specifically) is 693 miles (cycling route miles, not interstate) from my house. Assuming an average of 3 miles per ride, it would take 231 rides. With 48 weeks, 2 days till our next WDW trip, I should be able to ride 3 miles per trip, 4.8 times a week to "arrive" on time!

As popular as running events are for Disney, and as much as they've been pushing health and fitness the last several years, I'm really quite surprised there isn't more for cyclists to do. Of course, elevation plays a big role in cycling... and there's not much of that going on in Florida... New Orleans either, for that matter (where I'm from). If I were really biking from my home to WDW the highest elevation I would attain is 299 ft above sea level, and the lowest would be -36. By contrast, if I were to bike to Disneyland, over the course of 1,928 miles, I'd climb as high as 5,430 ft, and as low as -187 ft!! Of course, at 3 miles per trip, it would take me 642.7 trips to get there! :snail:

I should ask though, is it OK to keep track in this thread, or start a new, cycling specific thread?

I say SURE! Good Luck!

I'm In.

My three sisters and I are planning a Girls Only Trip for January, 2017. We're celebrating our youngest sister's 40th birthday and oldest sister's 50th birthday. I can't wait for the trip!!! Going to be a blast! This will be a fun way to count down and get in shape for all that Disney walking.

I'm 950.5 miles from our target resort: Art of Animation.
So, I'll start with my walk today. Looking forward to the challenge.
Good Luck everyone!!!

I'm In.

My three sisters and I are planning a Girls Only Trip for January, 2017. We're celebrating our youngest sister's 40th birthday and oldest sister's 50th birthday. I can't wait for the trip!!! Going to be a blast! This will be a fun way to count down and get in shape for all that Disney walking.

I'm 950.5 miles from our target resort: Art of Animation.
So, I'll start with my walk today. Looking forward to the challenge.
Good Luck everyone!!!

Good luck!! Sounds like a great trip!!

All my stuff for my bike came in over the weekend. I spent last night changing my tires and cleaning/oiling my chain. It was too late and cold (10:00 PM) to go for a ride, so I will be starting this evening after the kiddos are in bed.

0 of 693 miles to the Magic Kingdom

I would like to join in on this but I will be doing km since I am Canadian and all my apps I use measure in km. I have been keeping track of my workout km since the new year so I will use those towards my goal. It is 2032km according to google maps from my house to WDW.

37km/2032km

I finally was able to start my Cycling to Disney journey last night! But since there isn't a lot of discussion about cycling here, I'm gonna change that and start my own thread! Wish me luck ya'll! I'll still pop in this thread and check on ya'lls progress!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter