Waking Sleeping Beauty - a review

thanks for the review! it looks like a great documentary, especially since I've been watching Disney movies for as long as I can remember (who hasn't though!?!)

I cannot wait to see this documentary! Could you possibly tell me where you found it? I have been having trouble.

I hope they give it a legitimate DVD/Blu-Ray release by summer. I really really want to see this!

Has there been any talk about it being released on DVD? We are interested too (especially my DH - he is way into the behind-the-scenes side of Disney) but won't be able to see it... :sad2:

I've wanted to see this documentary since I heard about it last year. Hopefully it will be released on blu-ray sometime soon.

I would have to drive to Chicago to see it! About 3 1/2 hrs. Is it worth it? I was watching the video clips This looks really neat.

UltimateDisney.com shows it coming in a DVD set with the Sherman Bros doc and Walt & El Grupo to be released in September.:earsboy:

The wife and I just saw a screening of this at the Dallas International Film Festival....just got home actually. It was the second of two screenings; the first sold out and the second was a late addition.

It really was a fascinating and inspiring look at the turnaround that Disney Feature Animation experienced from 84-94. Some sad parts, some hilarious, some thought provoking...and many joyful. My only real criticism is that it sort of came to an abrupt halt; no real good closure to the story, views for the future or discussions of what it all meant.

That being said, I'd watch it again in a heartbeat. It made me really envious of the animators....despite the impending dread of the early-mid 80s, the long, arduous hours, time away from family, and everything else, they still exude happiness and love for their work. I wish I could be so lucky to have a job that did that for me.

Great review! I will rent this one as soon as it is on video.
Has anyone seen "Dream on Silly Dreamer" - a documentary I caught last week on some obscure cable channel? It was about the meteoric rise of disney animation in the 90's, only to be followed by hundreds of animators being laid off as the studio headed toward computer animation. It was pretty interesting, though rather sad as I had not thought of all the artists that lost their jobs when disney and pixar came together.

I put this on my Netflix list too for when it comes out. I just heard about this the other day randomly. Which is funny because I'm reading Disney War now about the Eisner years at Disney. I highly recommend this book, great reading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter