Waits at airport due to sequester

If security is longer, then you'll need to check-in sooner to meet your plane on time? :confused3

Not sure where this was going.
I think Jettocoast is referring to the furloughs aren't supposed to take place until April at the earliest, so the furloughs can't be "blamed" for check in slow downs now.

If security is longer, then you'll need to check-in sooner to meet your plane on time? :confused3

Not sure where this was going.

If my flight from Montrose, CO on Saturday was any indication, we will need to be at the airport 5 hours before the flight. We stood in line to check in for 1 1/2 hours and security lines were more than an hour line. We were moved ahead because the flight was ready to leave and was only half filled since everyone was still in line. An agent said that TSA was down one scanner and 4 agents due to the cuts. I am sure that no Congressman or woman would need to stand in those lines as they would travel first class on our dime. Sorry I am ranting after a fabulous trip.

I'm saying that the PP that I've quoted above (not the OP like I originally said; sorry for the confusion) indicated that the wait to actually check in for the flight—not the wait at security—was an hour and a half. I understand how backups at the screening checkpoints would necessitate checking in earlier so that you had enough time to get through security, but none of that explains why the lines at an airline-staffed counter itself (or certainly not at an automated kiosks) would be longer.

This was a very small airport servicing Colorado ski areas. Hence, lots of luggage and ski bags. The reason check-in was so slow was that there was nowhere to put the baggage because only 3 of 4 scanners were being used. The agent said that was due to layoffs. We had to wait to check in because of TSA, not because of the airline. Then the lines for security were also backed up. But I had a wonderful vacation.:)

So you can't take vacation? After all, that's "taking you out of your job"?

If there were 5 lines and now there are only going to be 4 I don't see how you can argue that will create a problem for the people in line. Hardly the same as going on vacation where all the work just stacks up until I get back and then it is only a problem for me.

Good to see "Big Sis" has her spending priorities straight. TSA recently (a week or so ago) signed a contract to buy new uniforms . . . The uniforms will be manufactured in the US and Mexico.

But she is already closing lanes at checkpoints.

We have flown quite a bit from ATL to MCO and back and the only times we have not walked right up to security was early Monday morning and Saturday afternoon. Now, they could probably cut some workers on the off times. When we fly during off times we usually walk right up to the ID checker and are through within 10 minutes. Would it suck to wait longer, yes. Would it be that big of a deal not really. They want you to arrive at the airport 2 hours before your flight and we usually end up sitting at the gate for awhile.

CPT Tripss said:
Good to see "Big Sis" has her spending priorities straight. TSA recently (a week or so ago) signed a contract to buy new uniforms . . . The uniforms will be manufactured in the US and Mexico.

But she is already closing lanes at checkpoints.

At the cost of $1000 per employee.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter