Waiting list

Camjenerry

Earning My Ears
Hello,i was wondering has anyone waited on disneys list for "reacquired" points to a sold out resort?......:coffee: Thnx,gmo

Sure, some have reported that it can take months.

Why not buy resale?

:earsboy: Bill

Dont you lose some privelages on the secondary mkt?:confused3
Thank you for your help......gmo

Dont you lose some privelages on the secondary mkt?:confused3

Yes, Disney changed the rules taking away access to some point uses to convince people to buy direct.

The truth is that you probably wouldn't want to use your points there anyway. Too expensive compared to paying cash.

Disney advertises that you can use your points at all of these wonderful destinations as a sales ploy, once you buy in and check things out you will realize that buying direct for an older resort cost you thousands extra for something that you won't be using.

Hello,i was wondering has anyone waited on disneys list for "reacquired" points to a sold out resort?......:coffee: Thnx,gmo

I have never WL myself for any of the sold out resorts, but I know several people that have done this. In all cases of the people I know, bought DVD instead of resale because they were interested in a 50 point add-on and were unable to find contracts this small in the resale market, or they were closed out of small contracts in the resale market several times and they felt it was easier to just get what they wanted direct.

Their wait times ranged anywhere from a couple of months to 18 months.

What is your question about buying DVD?

We were on WL for BWV last year and added 55 and then 25 points that way...waited about 2 weeks for the 55 and then another 2 months for the 25 (2 different UY). I always recommended buying direct for only 2 reasons. First is adding on a small # of points with a specific UY. I wouldn't even recommend that anymore with the new price increase...$155 for BWV when you can get it for around $80pp via resale. The second reason would be if you wanted the newly selling resorts (VGF or PVB) that aren't in the resale market yet (or not great deals in the resale market yet). I suggest you go resale.

I did. I was waiting for December BLT points for about three months.

As others have indicated, this type of direct from Disney purchase is really only advisable if you are an existing owner and want to add on a smaller # of points, with your specific use year.

We had contacted Disney about the wait list for BWV right after thanksgiving-we were told it would probably take a few months based on the use year we were interested in-said they had 10 people ahead of us waiting for the same use year we wanted. They said if we would take any use year they could probably have a contract for us within a couple weeks but we only wanted certain use year based on when we plan to travel. Haven't heard anything back from them yet (actually wound up finding a small resale contract in the mean time) so I would definitely say plan on it taking a few months and if it is quicker it would be a nice surprise (or better yet in the mean time look for a resale contract like we did).
My guess is that they are more focused on Poly right now reselling contracts at sold out resorts is prob not their priority at the moment. I say that because I have seen contracts with the use year we requested have passed ROFR (including the one we found) despite Disney telling us that they had several people on the waiting list for that use year. So clearly despite having buyers waiting they do not ROFR all contracts back. However we joined the wait list at $125 per point (price guaranteed for 6 mo) so perhaps now that they raised the price to $155 per point they will exercise ROFR on more contracts?

We had contacted Disney about the wait list for BWV right after thanksgiving-we were told it would probably take a few months based on the use year we were interested in-said they had 10 people ahead of us waiting for the same use year we wanted. They said if we would take any use year they could probably have a contract for us within a couple weeks but we only wanted certain use year based on when we plan to travel. Haven't heard anything back from them yet (actually wound up finding a small resale contract in the mean time) so I would definitely say plan on it taking a few months and if it is quicker it would be a nice surprise (or better yet in the mean time look for a resale contract like we did).
My guess is that they are more focused on Poly right now reselling contracts at sold out resorts is prob not their priority at the moment. I say that because I have seen contracts with the use year we requested have passed ROFR (including the one we found) despite Disney telling us that they had several people on the waiting list for that use year. So clearly despite having buyers waiting they do not ROFR all contracts back. However we joined the wait list at $125 per point (price guaranteed for 6 mo) so perhaps now that they raised the price to $155 per point they will exercise ROFR on more contracts?

It's all about money, they will always sell new resorts first and when sales slow or they buy ROFR at a super low price, they will sell older resorts. I also expect that some on the wait list get tired of waiting and switch to buying a new resort.

I spoke to my guide right before Xmas and was told the price of $130 was NOT guaranteed once the increase to $155 happened. So we didn't go on WL.

I spoke to my guide right before Xmas and was told the price of $130 was NOT guaranteed once the increase to $155 happened. So we didn't go on WL.

Huh that's interesting-the DVC guide is the one who actually brought it up (about the price being locked in for 6 months while on the waiting list). Guess if points do become avail we will see at what price they offer it to us. We were quoted $125 pp b/c they were going to give us a $5 discount pp if we bought 50 points or more (otherwise is was $130 pp)

Huh that's interesting-the DVC guide is the one who actually brought it up (about the price being locked in for 6 months while on the waiting list). Guess if points do become avail we will see at what price they offer it to us. We were quoted $125 pp b/c they were going to give us a $5 discount pp if we bought 50 points or more (otherwise is was $130 pp)

We got $7pp off in early 2014 when we were 1st on the WL. When I called right before Xmas about going on WL for more (BWV points) my guide told me there was no more discount and the price was $130 (even for 50 points+). Keep us posted when your points come through and what price they tell you. I will be so irked if you are offered $125 (when now it's $155)...we would have definitely added 50 more for a $125 guarantee for 6 months past the price change date.

We got $7pp off in early 2014 when we were 1st on the WL. When I called right before Xmas about going on WL for more (BWV points) my guide told me there was no more discount and the price was $130 (even for 50 points+). Keep us posted when your points come through and what price they tell you. I will be so irked if you are offered $125 (when now it's $155)...we would have definitely added 50 more for a $125 guarantee for 6 months past the price change date.

I'll let you know if/when we hear something. I don't know if possibly sometime in Dec they decided to stop guaranteeing the price for 6 mo? We went on the wait list end of November/beginning of Dec so it would have been at least a few weeks before you talked to your guide. Maybe when they decided to raise the price dramatically (or word was leaked about the price increase) they decided to stop guaranteeing? I can tell you when contacted the guide originally he was really trying to steer us toward VGF (about how it is so much better of a deal long term) but once it became clear we were only interested in a small BWV contract he was happy to put us on the wait list for BWV. I only haven't taken myself off the wait list in case something happens with our resale and the deal falls through (I know it is uncommon but seems like on occasion something happens from reading others posts). It seems like small BWV contracts are more scarce on the resale market than they were when we started looking into buying 2.5 months ago. If/when they do pop up they seem to be under contract within a day.

Update as promised-the DVC guide finally called us with points avail 2 days before our resale was set to close-as we had really wanted 75 points (and only got 60 on our resale contract) we asked if we could purchase 25 once the resale closed that week-it took a few days and our guide reaching out to member administration but they agreed to sell us only 25 ONCE we were officially members and honor the $130 price per point ($125 was only if we bought 50 or more). So we jumped on it-have been following the resale market since October and I only saw one 25 point April contract in all that time (listed at $100 and no banked points) so even though I know we paid a little more than resale it was well worth not having to spend months or a year trying to find that perfect contract. Wanted to wait until we had signed the papers and sent them back to post but points are in our account and banked for 2014 :)
On a side note not sure that we really overpaid much in this instance going direct b/c just saw a new BWV April 50 point listing emailed to me today that is totally stripped and asking $100 p.p.- I realize it may not go for full listing price but it has 2 years less points and closing costs through disney are much lower (roughly $100 vs $400)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter